Welcome Matrice Pilots!
Join our free DJI Matrice community today!

Aperture ring setting for stock X5 15mm lens

Reaction score
I just purchased a used Inspire 1 Pro with X5 camera and the stock 15mm lens. I also have Olympus MFT camera bodies and lenses, none of which have aperture rings since aperture is controlled via thumbwheels on the camera. The aperture ring on the X5 15mm lens has click detents for all the standard fstops and an "A" setting for Auto. I've looked through the manual and searched on this forum and elsewhere trying to find anything on what the recommended setting is for the aperture ring. Since I control the aperture via the DJI GO app, I assumed that the ring on the lens should be set to "A". But on a test flight yesterday I found after landing that I had the aperture ring set to f2.8, but I knew I had been taking still photos using f4 set via the GO app. So, is it safe to assume that it doesn't matter how the physical aperture ring is set? Can't understand why this lens was designed with an aperture ring anyway. Any guidance or experience?

As you might suspect, once upon a time the aperture ring on the lens was the only way to change the aperture. As cameras became more automated you could also change the aperture using a dial on the camera body.

However, in order to set the aperture using the dial on the camera body you had to have the lens set to “A”. If you did not have the lens set to “A”, then the camera would have been unable to set the correct aperture.

To be safe, I would make sure that the lens was set on “A”. That way you can be confident that any changes you make to the aperture in the software will be reflected in reality.

As for why the aperture ring is there at all… I would venture a couple of guesses… 1) That lens is a readily available micro 4/3 lens that has simply been rebranded by DJI for use on their drone. That would’ve been the most inexpensive option for them. 2) It is a standard micro 4/3 lens and, in theory, you could easily use that lens on a micro 4/3 camera. Some photographers still prefer set their aperture the old-fashioned way… using the aperture ring. Having that aperture ring with the “A” setting provides both backward and forward compatibility with a traditional camera.

Does the app over ride the ring. In other words if the ring is set at 2.8 but set the app at say f4 is it going to shoot f2.8 or f/4? I can check myself but not near my drone to fly it.

Does the app over ride the ring. In other words if the ring is set at 2.8 but set the app at say f4 is it going to shoot f2.8 or f/4? I can check myself but not near my drone to fly it.
It has to be set to A for the app to change the aperture. If you the ring set at f/2.8 and you change it to f/4 in the app it will still be f/2.8.

It’s basically the same as the MF/AF switch. If you switch it to MF the camera can’t change the focus.

As to why it even has an aperture ring remember that the X5 and X5R can be mounted on the Osmo handle so I could see using the ring in that context.