Welcome Matrice Pilots!
Join our free DJI Matrice community today!

DJI announcement: Zenmuse X5 and X5R

The new X5 requires a needs a new, larger anti-vibration mount to be fitted with what appears to be a card slot in the mount. My question is whether the current X3 gimbal/camera be fitted and used for general training and practice flying without risking the X5? I ask be removing the anti-vibration grommets is not the easiest thing to do and risks damaging them, so you do not want to be swapping them back and forth.

PS. I have put my deposit down with Heliguys.

Let us know who this bling product pans out and BTW I noticed their SSD card look smaller than the average SSD. Question is knowing DJI how much are each card gonna cost you? :D

The SSD looks like a M.2 form factor SSD with a pull cap added. They are not showing the inside of it but I would assume DJI is using an off the shelf M.2 SSD with some sort of custom packaging.

Not true for deposits. Pretty sure there is a time limit though, but deposits are not illegal in the US.

I have only seen pre-order (without being charged) or "auto-notify". Where have you seen sites that collect deposit like the heliguy.com?

Great to have a camera update but 60mbps from the X5 is a bit of a let down! it means really to get the real benefits it's got to be the X5R at 1.7gbps when all they needed to do was make the X5 200mbps

Take a look at the other threads that show the actual video from X5. Making a guess here, but it seems that even at the same bitrate, the bigger sensor is making a huge difference in video quality.

Reactions: gruvpix and Kilrah
I wonder how much this system will affect flight time, as it will be so much heavier than the previous camera/gimbal/lens system. The Olympus 12mm lens is pretty the same weight itself as the I1 gimbal+camera

CNET's review has that covered
DJI flies after more pros with Zenmuse X5 cameras

If I am interpreting it correctly, it is saying 15 min for TB47 and 18 min for TB48 with X5. So a 3 min reduction.

Reactions: lucadeceres
The SSD looks like a M.2 form factor SSD with a pull cap added.
M.2 uses PCB as the connector, the DJI SSD looks rather like a SATA variation, the data part is identical but the power connection is shorter and with a little key I've never seen before... looks proprietary to me.

vlcsnap-2015-09-11-17h36m23s529.png

Attachments

• DSC00831_ss.jpg
    DSC00831_ss.jpg
    333.5 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
M.2 uses PCB as the connector, the DJI SSD looks rather like a SATA variation, the data part is identical but the power connection is shorter and with a little key I've never seen before... looks proprietary to me.

View attachment 3602
I had not seen that picture, thanks for sharing. That is a proprietary connector. I hope that does not mean the drive will be insanely expensive.

Ah correction, it's actually standard 1.8" SATA.

The case and form factor is likely custom though.

DSC00831_ss.jpg

An 1.8" uSATA drive is obviously much wider so wouldn't fit anyway. They've just reused the interface but in a custom form factor... they'll be sure to grab your $$$.

Now what would be nice (but never happen) is if DJI made the RAW recorder an add-on upgrade to the camera. Obviously the camera and gimbal unit are the same for both X5 and X5R, so in a perfect world you could buy the X5 and then add the raw recorder later on...
Oh well I can't really complain, this appears to be an excellent advancement. Although I will hold off until seeing some raw footage from both units. I'm assuming the compression artifacts are due to YouTube compression and not the camera.

Only the unavailable X5R can shoot RAW. The cheaper X5 does not shoot RAW. The price for X5R is .... too high

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!

Here is the difference between people who think like you and people who are whining about the price....the magic word is "PRO"......if you are a "PRO" you are making a living using these products...and as a "PRO" you could care less how much it cost....you are just passing that cost onto the client.....

PRO means you are charing for what you do.....

In the PRO STILL Photography world, there is a term "MWACs".....it stands for "Moms With A Camera"....and they whine and complain and cry all the time about how a canon 1DX cost over $5000, and L series glass is so expensive.......

Either you are a PRO or you are a WAC

Now...I guess we have on this forum several "MWADs"......"Moms With A Drone"......

:D :D :D :D

Kirk

I've had peoples head explode when they find out how much my tripod cost (hint its more than an inspire) :) Quite honestly I never assumed the Inspire would work as good professional video platform. I had always intended to use it for photogrammetry work. This camera makes me rethink that. This camera wasn't made for the guys trying to hustle $100 worth of "aerial cinematography" to the local realtors.

Reactions: pahl

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RomanChrz