Welcome Matrice Pilots!
Join our free DJI Matrice community today!

Calibrating Lens?

Reaction score
I just got my X5 and have installed it correctly. I'm prompted to calibrate the lens...pointing it at a high contrast object 50m away...(160'). I'm assuming I need to be in auto focus mode to do this and that I should have the camera in a fixed, stable position on the ground? Is the 50 meters a critical distance, or do I just need to pick something out fairly far away for the calibration. Is there a message give indicating the calibration is successful?

I was planning on shooting in manual focus mode...the manual says "always set the camera lens to AF mode." Not sure why the manual says to do this?

Thanks for you help.

I believe manual mode is for use with the DJI Wireless Follow Focus System but I may be mistaken.

I was planning on shooting in manual focus mode...the manual says "always set the camera lens to AF mode." Not sure why the manual says to do this?
Because you want to be able to select auto/manual and adjust manual focus from the app/camera settings. If you put the AF/MF switch on the lens to MF then it forces MF using the physical focus ring on the lens and you lose remote control.

I would really love to see a video - produced by DJI - that goes throught this lens calibrating process - step by step - don't need a lot of production value, just the basics of how to do this properly.

I would really love to see a video - produced by DJI - that goes throught this lens calibrating process - step by step - don't need a lot of production value, just the basics of how to do this properly.

I second this. There are so many different opinions on how to do it. For me it's hard to tell with a 720p feedback if its really in focus or not.

For those having lens calibration / soft focus issues with your X5... It was happening to me also. I have been messing with my X5 for the past 3 hours and believe I have this lens calibration figured out... sort of. I wish DJI would make a video on lens calibration, but after what I just went through I see why they are not making that video after many requests from Inspire Pro and X5 owners.

1. As it states, make sure you have a high contrast object to focus on at least 50 meters out. I live on a dead end street, so just centered the calibration on a home front about 60 meters out that was high contract. I set my aircraft on my case so the camera was above the grass.

2. I made sure that my aperture was at 1.7 so I could quickly check the results against manual focus infinity setting. At F1.7 if you hit the infinity button, everything should be in focus on the targeted high contrast object 50 plus meters out. If you are in f 8 you might be in focus if you hit the infinity button... this does not mean it is calibrated because of the long depth of field associated with F8.

3. Go to "tool", then "calibration". I made sure that the object I was going to focus on was in center of screen (not sure if this makes a difference). Click calibration.

4. Click OK, it will tell you to tap on the area you want to calibrate on. I found I had to tap on it twice some times. If it beeped and calibration went back to OK it was complete. Click OK again... it will exits calibration mode.

5. I immediately went to Manual Focus mode to see if in F1.7, when I touched the infinity button, things were in focus. They were not. I had read a comment to try repeating the process. I did repeat the process approximately 20 times before... OMF'nG... the focus in manual focus mode was perfect at F1.7 when I hit the infinity symbol.

6. Because I am hard headed I tried for another couple of hours more to see if there was a way to make lens calibration consistently successful. It seems to me to be a purely hit or miss process.

*** Important Note *** from what I can tell the lens calibration resides within the mobile device your aircraft is connected to, so if you use another mobile device from time to time you will need to calibrate the lens for that mobile device also.

For those having lens calibration / soft focus issues with your X5... It was happening to me also. I have been messing with my X5 for the past 3 hours and believe I have this lens calibration figured out... sort of. I wish DJI would make a video on lens calibration, but after what I just went through I see why they are not making that video after many requests from Inspire Pro and X5 owners.

1. As it states, make sure you have a high contrast object to focus on at least 50 meters out. I live on a dead end street, so just centered the calibration on a home front about 60 meters out that was high contract. I set my aircraft on my case so the camera was above the grass.

2. I made sure that my aperture was at 1.7 so I could quickly check the results against manual focus infinity setting. At F1.7 if you hit the infinity button, everything should be in focus on the targeted high contrast object 50 plus meters out. If you are in f 8 you might be in focus if you hit the infinity button... this does not mean it is calibrated because of the long depth of field associated with F8.

3. Go to "tool", then "calibration". I made sure that the object I was going to focus on was in center of screen (not sure if this makes a difference). Click calibration.

4. Click OK, it will tell you to tap on the area you want to calibrate on. I found I had to tap on it twice some times. If it beeped and calibration went back to OK it was complete. Click OK again... it will exits calibration mode.

5. I immediately went to Manual Focus mode to see if in F1.7, when I touched the infinity button, things were in focus. They were not. I had read a comment to try repeating the process. I did repeat the process approximately 20 times before... OMF'nG... the focus in manual focus mode was perfect at F1.7 when I hit the infinity symbol.

6. Because I am hard headed I tried for another couple of hours more to see if there was a way to make lens calibration consistently successful. It seems to me to be a purely hit or miss process.

*** Important Note *** from what I can tell the lens calibration resides within the mobile device your aircraft is connected to, so if you use another mobile device from time to time you will need to calibrate the lens for that mobile device also.

Thanks for going to all this trouble to document your process. I just don't understand why this has to be such a mystery? I'll give this a try. I really admire how detailed your process description is. Thanks again!

Reactions: gregg Kielma
For those having lens calibration / soft focus issues with your X5... It was happening to me also. I have been messing with my X5 for the past 3 hours and believe I have this lens calibration figured out...

Thank you for taking the time to post this. Once I get my Inspire 1 back I will give the calibration another go. :)

Has anyone representing DJI responded to requests for more info about lens calibration? This shouldn't be so vague...nothing in the X5 manual.

Yes I need a step by step tutorial because I tried for a few hours too trying to calibrate the lens but I just dont get it how the app works. The 'OK' never shows up when i calibrate so I dont know what I'm missing.

It has been stated before, but additionally do the calibration in photo mode so that you can take advantage of the digital zoom function when doing the manual focus.

The "ok" you are expecting does not show once calibrated. Yes weird I know. That was the case on the old firmware

I calibrated reviewed images as a go or no go to guage if it was calibrated.

Hope this helps

Very useful. Cant believe there is nothing in the instructions. Is there nothing by DJI about this? I have searched their forum but nothing from them. just a few other helpful posts like the one above.

I bought the camera with the DJI lens but have a 12mm Olympus, guess ing you need to do this when you change lenses?

I normally always shoot in manual but am I right in thinking I still need to carry out this process to set 'Infinity'?

No DJI does not have anything on this...even in their manual. I guess they aren't making enough money to produce a simple video showing us the approved step-by-step process.

Reactions: Droider and tweaker
Its all part of the fun figuring it out......

This forum is invaluable to the above along with a bit of logic,skull muscle and experience!!

No DJI does not have anything on this...even in their manual. I guess they aren't making enough money to produce a simple video showing us the approved step-by-step process.

Just incredible! There is almost nothing on there forum either. Bizarre you8 spen all this mont and there are things you need to spent time researching rather than flying!

Why the hell do you have to even do this? No micro four thirds or slr camera I've ever used need lenses calibrating.
Is the autofocus **** or something and can't compensate for different lenses?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Why the hell do you have to even do this? No micro four thirds or slr camera I've ever used need lenses calibrating.
Is the autofocus **** or something and can't compensate for different lenses?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Still trying to find a real good answer to this. I have a few bits and bobs I will cobble together and hopefully get out tomorrow and try the variations. Then Ill try the procedure I have written after a whole day investigating and reading forums and FB groups!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RomanChrz