Welcome Matrice Pilots!
Join our free DJI Matrice community today!

45mm / Gimbal settings ?

Reaction score
Hello,

today I tried the 45mm Olympus with my Inspire/X5 and noticed a slight slow "shaking/wobble" in the video, especially when flying forwards. It's not jello but looks more like the gimbal doesn't stabilize the pitch and yaw axis 100%, some kind of vibration.

When flying lateral movements or backwards the results are much better...almost no shaking/wobble.

The gimbal is balanced with 46mm ND filter plus step up ring, seems to be fine.

As I flew in gimbal follow mode with GPS (not atti) ...could this be the reason for the problem ? Perhaps flying in free mode (dual operator) solves the shaking ?

What are your advanced gimbal settings in the GO app for the 45mm Olympus ?

Do you have a hood on the cam?

IMO it's simply that the turbulent airflow hits the lens more when moving forward. At 45mm FL the tiniest amount of movement will be visible.

Hello,

today I tried the 45mm Olympus with my Inspire/X5 and noticed a slight slow "shaking/wobble" in the video, especially when flying forwards. It's not jello but looks more like the gimbal doesn't stabilize the pitch and yaw axis 100%, some kind of vibration.

When flying lateral movements or backwards the results are much better...almost no shaking/wobble.

The gimbal is balanced with 46mm ND filter plus step up ring, seems to be fine.

As I flew in gimbal follow mode with GPS (not atti) ...could this be the reason for the problem ? Perhaps flying in free mode (dual operator) solves the shaking ?

What are your advanced gimbal settings in the GO app for the 45mm Olympus ?
I personally have not had that issue with mine, but the wind has been calm for the most part since I got my 45 mm lens. I will second what Kilrah said, "@45mm any movement will be exaggerated over the 15mm". Hope it works out.

There's no lens hood installed on my 45mm, only step up ring and 46mm ND filter...so there should be no issue with wind turbulences. I flew the lens on a calm day with almost no wind, but the slight shaking / vibration is still there. Have to stabilize every shoot with forward flight direction in Premiere CC, otherwise can't use the material...what's your experience with the 45mm: do you have to stabilize in postproduction ?

@ Ralph Rigson: Which advanced gimbal settings do you use with the 45mm ? Do you fly the 45mm lens as a single operator? Which gimbal mode do you use (follow, free etc.)? Thanks for your help !

I fly with and without hood no problems
I use filter sometimes no problems
I fly in follow mode most of the time
Advance settings
Gimbal pitch exp 3
Yaw exp 5
Gimbal yaw smooth 7
Pitch smooth 6
Gimbal synchronous follow ( yes)
I fly 4 diff lenses but my favorite is the 45 mm. Amazing shots. I really haven't had any shaking. Is your firmware the latest? If so you can try downgrading then re upgrading to see if that helps. I know some of the x5 cameras have been finicky but the last 7 or 8 I have bought through my company have been really solid. You may have a faulty camera. I wish I could be more help. If you need anything just ask. I'm always willing to help trouble shoot.

Respectfully
Ralph
FlyHighUSA

There's no lens hood installed on my 45mm, only step up ring and 46mm ND filter...so there should be no issue with wind turbulences. I flew the lens on a calm day with almost no wind, but the slight shaking / vibration is still there. Have to stabilize every shoot with forward flight direction in Premiere CC, otherwise can't use the material...what's your experience with the 45mm: do you have to stabilize in postproduction ?

@ Ralph Rigson: Which advanced gimbal settings do you use with the 45mm ? Do you fly the 45mm lens as a single operator? Which gimbal mode do you use (follow, free etc.)? Thanks for your help !
One more thought. Have you tried resetting your camera in the tops section of the DJI GO app ? Worth a shot.

OK cool! I may debate or disagree from time to time but the introduction of different ideas and opinions are part of the point in my opinion. I do try to help when I can as we all hate that helpless feeling that accompanies not understanding something you desperately want to.
Yep it can be really frustrating when you are just trying to help and suddenly your getting you but chewed out. Your good man.

I shot video for the first time today with my 45mm lens on my Inspire Pro...stills look fantastic. The video clips contained tiny shaking throughout the entire time. I shot with the DJI 15mm before and after with flawless results. Here is the video. I was flying with the hood on buy only making soft and slow moves, primarily up and down. Thanks for any insight. Hey @laselvasurf...any experience here?

You know I went through that very same thing today for the first time. I have flown other days with no motion at all. It was a little windy today. I am going to balance the props and see if that makes a difference. The gimbal is balanced perfectly so I'm curious why I had a good day and then a not so good day. I'm not sure what changed. All my settings are the same. I will do another flight Tommorrow and see how it goes. The 45 mm lens is obviously going to show any movement far more quickly than the 15 mm DJI lens. I just can't figure out why it changed from one day to the next? I will post my results tomorrow. I hope together we ca figure it out.

Here is a short video of the shaking with my 45mm /X5 while flying slowly forwards...almost no wind. Looks similar to the shaking in ddublu's video I think.

@Ralph Rigdon & chnjab : Thanks for your help so far...I could not get out flying so far...short of time, but I would first try to rebalance the gimbal, although I think mine is balanced fine now, perhaps I have to "unbalance" it a bit to give steady results with the 45mm ?...my gimbal needs far less weight on the front than your gimbal, chnjab...needs only about 17g to be balanced...

I ordered the Olympus lens hood specified for the 45mm lens -- the LH-40B.

Has anyone been using that hood and if so do you have a weight for it?

Brian

I have the plastic version of the hood for the 45mm. It balances perfectly.... somehow correcting the horizontal imbalance too.....
It's 10g

Wit my 15mm lens (stock), I get something slightly side heavy (left side when looking same direction as the lens / opposite of the motor). So I did the same with my 45mm. But I still get these wavy shakes. I have tried with the lens perfectly balanced. Same effect. What surprising is that I get the same movements of the gimbal when on the ground with the 15mm or 45mm. It's like the gimbal is trying to stabilize something that is not moving. Tried different gimbal settings : looks the same. One interesting thing is that the movements of the gimbal diminish when I leave it for a few minutes on the ground.
I am trying with a B+W 37mm which weighs around 14g. And some rubber bands (from a bike tyre) to add a few more grams.
Chnjab, I would be interested to see some footage you did with the 45mm balanced. I will try to get a vented hood as well.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RomanChrz