Welcome Matrice Pilots!
Join our free DJI Matrice community today!

3 must-have lenses for commercial work?

Olympus M.Zuiko 12mm

I don't use anything else. I own the Olympus 25mm and 45mm, and have tried them, but prefer the wide view. I am hoping that Olympus notes the uptick in sales of the 12mm, and builds an 8mm or 12mm version for us.

I used to think the oly 12mm was important, but i use the 15mm more now, simply because the X5 lacks power, so the more you can channel that power into a smaller area, the better the video quality will look, but it can be a little too zoomed in for some shots, but you can get around that if you stick with it.

The DJI lens is a re-branded panasonic which got very good reviews, its actually a very good lens.

If I get the X5r, I'll no doubt use the 12mm all the time as I'll have a better field of vision to work with and the bit rate problem with the X5 should not be an issue on the X5R.

But I do have my doubts about the X5R.
X5 has been handled badly so far.
Slashing the price of the X5R.
Many X5 users still waiting for the next firmware update, I'm using one from SEP 2015 (that should tell you how well DJI have done with the updates and there have been 4/5 of them)
Many people are not happy with the X5 photos, which will make up the frames of the X5R video (at half the resolution and probably some form of compression) so for me DJI and it customers have to convince me the X5R is really worth it or I'll stick with the X5. I'm not doing the spreading wings stuff, I love the convenience of the inspire.

SO for the X5 I will say 15/25/45

or just get the 12/25/45 all from Olympus in Silver!

I have the Olympus prime set - 12mm, 25mm and 45mm. Each has its purpose, I find I use the 12 and 25 about equally, the 12 probably a little more. Rarely use the 45 unless I need to be far away from the subject. They all perform fantastic and it is very nice to have them all so you are well covered in any situation.

Shot this morning with 25mm, I was a fair ways from the downtown area so able to get a shot like this. With the 12 it would have been dodgy (definitely would have got called out on the forum!).

Attachments

• Sunrise (compressed).jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 97
Last edited:
Own the Olympus 12mm, DJI 15mm and the Olympus 25mm. I think you could probably get everything you need out of the 12mm and the 25mm Olympus. Sometimes when filming in tight areas I pull out the DJI 15mm cause it keeps everything else on set just out of frame. I have never needed more. Every one loves the 45mm however I think that the 25mm is already a handful on the sticks to be super smooth and you can see shaking if there is substantial wind so a 45mm will have very limited uses, in my opinion (I have only used the 45mm a couple times and returned). Zoom is worthless in my opinion, lesser quality glass, stick to primes and get to know your lenses and when to use each one. If I had to choose one I would still go 12mm Olympus especialy if you are single op. When I used to shoot with the GH4 on the S800/S900 the 12mm was always the go to lens but we tend to shoot a lot more tracking and action sports material. My usage is 12mm=80% 15mm=10% 25mm 10% . Also to note all three lenses share the 46mm filter diameter the 45mm uses a 38mm I think so you need an adapter ring for your ND's. Also plenty of good used glass on Ebay, I purchased a couple lenses for 60% off the new price so If you don't like it you can resell without a loss. Or do Amazon and BH and pay the price and try for 30 days and make a decision. Good Luck.

Own the Olympus 12mm, DJI 15mm and the Olympus 25mm. I think you could probably get everything you need out of the 12mm and the 25mm Olympus. Sometimes when filming in tight areas I pull out the DJI 15mm cause it keeps everything else on set just out of frame. I have never needed more. Every one loves the 45mm however I think that the 25mm is already a handful on the sticks to be super smooth and you can see shaking if there is substantial wind so a 45mm will have very limited uses, in my opinion (I have only used the 45mm a couple times and returned). Zoom is worthless in my opinion, lesser quality glass, stick to primes and get to know your lenses and when to use each one. If I had to choose one I would still go 12mm Olympus especialy if you are single op. When I used to shoot with the GH4 on the S800/S900 the 12mm was always the go to lens but we tend to shoot a lot more tracking and action sports material. My usage is 12mm=80% 15mm=10% 25mm 10% . Also to note all three lenses share the 46mm filter diameter the 45mm uses a 38mm I think so you need an adapter ring for your ND's. Also plenty of good used glass on Ebay, I purchased a couple lenses for 60% off the new price so If you don't like it you can resell without a loss. Or do Amazon and BH and pay the price and try for 30 days and make a decision. Good Luck.
I'd would like to know if anyone has made any prints using the X5 and their thoughts about the guality of their prints.

I'd would like to know if anyone has made any prints using the X5 and their thoughts about the guality of their prints.
I will be getting some done up, but I have no trepidations about the quality they would be... I did up some X3 prints and they looked pretty nice, so the X5 should be awesome.

Do they sell them in sets or did you just buy all these separately?
Separately... Olympus had a promotion though (I think it's still on), I got them all for about $300 off total, they were about $100 off each so thought may as well, we'll find ways to use them I'm sure :cool:

Bought them through a local camera shop up here in Canada, it was all instant rebates.

Have any of you used the lens hood with the Olympus 12mm? I know the manual says not too but I've had a few shots ruined with some terrible lens flare.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RomanChrz