Welcome Matrice Pilots!
Join our free DJI Matrice community today!

X5 - None or D-LOG?

D-LOG or None?

• D-LOG

Votes: 6 24.0%
  • None

Votes: 19 76.0%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Are you shooting in None or D-LOG--assuming color grading will be applied. If none, what settings?

I've been shooting at -1 sharpness and adding contrast and sharpness in post. Any particular reason you add in camera?
All else being equal I prefer the raw files at +1 to the results from adding sharpening. We are often trying to match with our Canon's and while none of the x5 settings really look that good, anything below +1 sharpness seems to lack needed definition to me. There's a difference between sharpness and definition, and I don't think DJI knows that. To me the softer sharpness settings aren't softer, they lack definition. Hard to explain but it's basically what looks good to my eye, and that'll vary depending on the person of course. Also photos look a hair out of focus to me at anything below +1

Good video comparing none vs D-log and some settings, especially for Resolve users
Thanks for the vid, it definitely explains well the purpose of shooting in d-log - preserving shadow and highlight detail. Ultimately I haven't really found a setting I like the best, especially on the latest FW I feel noise levels on d-log are so bad I just downgraded to the previous version even though that one has many issues as well.
Ultimately since there is no consistency with updates, settings etc. I just shoot in a way where the image looks good to me from the camera and I can still grade it to match our other cameras.

All else being equal I prefer the raw files at +1 to the results from adding sharpening. We are often trying to match with our Canon's and while none of the x5 settings really look that good, anything below +1 sharpness seems to lack needed definition to me. There's a difference between sharpness and definition, and I don't think DJI knows that. To me the softer sharpness settings aren't softer, they lack definition. Hard to explain but it's basically what looks good to my eye, and that'll vary depending on the person of course. Also photos look a hair out of focus to me at anything below +1
Did try D-Log with +1,-2,-2 today - for me it was not any benefits ( more noise ) with using +1 instead of -2 sharpness - I am back with D-Log -2,-2,-2

Did try D-Log with +1,-2,-2 today - for me it was not any benefits ( more noise ) with using +1 instead of -2 sharpness - I am back with D-Log -2,-2,-2
Fair enough. I think I am going to try and bring the FW back up to 1.8 and mess around further with settings on that version. I plan on doing a lot of flights this Friday - I'll update it and see how everything looks.

Last edited:
Fair enough. I think I am going to try and bring the FW back up to 1.8 and mess around further with settings on that version. I plan on doing a lot of flights this Friday - I'll update it and see how everything looks.
I am also on 1.8.1.00. It is very useful to try different settings as you besides learning the camera also better your editing skills. I edit with FCP-X and Color Finale

Thanks for the vid, it definitely explains well the purpose of shooting in d-log - preserving shadow and highlight detail. Ultimately I haven't really found a setting I like the best, especially on the latest FW I feel noise levels on d-log are so bad I just downgraded to the previous version even though that one has many issues as well.
Ultimately since there is no consistency with updates, settings etc. I just shoot in a way where the image looks good to me from the camera and I can still grade it to match our other cameras.
I have no issues with noise in D-log. However, I always overexpose a little bit to protect the shadows. Basically, I follow my Sony s-log2(or 3) workflow where it's actually recommended to overexpose one or even two stops. With log's high dynamic range, it's easy to bring back correct exposure in Resolve.
Truth to be told, I yet have to compare Sony s-log to DJI D-log and see is it really the best way for x5r.

I have no issues with noise in D-log. However, I always overexpose a little bit to protect the shadows. Basically, I follow my Sony s-log2(or 3) workflow where it's actually recommended to overexpose one or even two stops. With log's high dynamic range, it's easy to bring back correct exposure in Resolve.
Truth to be told, I yet have to compare Sony s-log to DJI D-log and see is it really the best way for x5r.
Shoot to the right is a common expression - and I also try to overexpose a bit. I am ver y pleased with D-Log in my X5, but I know a lot of people complaining.

Due to 8bit codec with strong chroma subsamoling 420 at very low bitrate (merely 60Mbs in 4K, even lower in 1080p) - any Log workflow creates more artifacts then suites my taste. As X3/X5 H264 codec heavily compresses similar colors to blocks, packing wide color range in D-Log range that is narrower then regular Rec709 - just makes blocking and banding more obvious once you try to colorgrade. As strong grading is not possible with such source, I prefer to do just light color corrections on regular Rec709 footage so I use D-Cinelike and None styles with slightly lowered contrast and color...

Finaly, please note that D-Log profile of X3 and D-Log profile of X5 look significantly different, as well as some other styles who have same names but different looks in these two cameras. D-Log from X3 is not so flat as it is on X5, so I used to shoot with X3 in D-Log, but once I tried to grade much more flat X5 D-Log I decided to use X5 in some of its Rec709 styles...

I regularly use Log workflow when shooting Panasonic GH4 external to Atomos Shogun in 4K with 10bit 422 color in ProRes422 (HQ) - with such color depth and light compression I can confirm significant gains of Log workflow. There is great grading potential in X5R CinemaDNG RAW files as well. But best way to utilize constrainig 60Mbs 420 of X3 and X5 is to make picture look good in camera before it gets compressed.

Last edited:
Great explanation. In addition, I think DJI's latest D-LOG implementation has noise issues in low light. I got some funny looks from post production supervisors telling them I was shooting rec709 but after explaining it, they were fine.

I'm now shooting mostly on the X5R so much less need for D-LOG.

Since latest firmware I have been loving 2.7k and 4k d-cinelike with +1 sharpness, so haven't been shooting on 'none' anymore. The image in cinelike is flat enough and pretty close to our C100s. I have tested log and been requested to shoot log for a couple things, and it is fine but I really don't notice any difference in the final graded image from either, and it just takes longer to get to the result when shooting in LOG, plus it's tough to gauge the quality of the shot when going through the raw footage since everything looks so flat.
Dumb explanation but I've finally found a setting I am enjoying, until we can spring for an X5R!

Since latest firmware I have been loving 2.7k and 4k d-cinelike with +1 sharpness, so haven't been shooting on 'none' anymore. The image in cinelike is flat enough and pretty close to our C100s. I have tested log and been requested to shoot log for a couple things, and it is fine but I really don't notice any difference in the final graded image from either, and it just takes longer to get to the result when shooting in LOG, plus it's tough to gauge the quality of the shot when going through the raw footage since everything looks so flat.
Dumb explanation but I've finally found a setting I am enjoying, until we can spring for an X5R!
Hi Gruvpix, just come across this post of yours which I realise was nearly two years ago but wondered if you still find Cinelike at +1 the best setting for the X5? If so what are your preferred settings for contrast or saturation and do you over expose slightly?
Do you use these settings in 1080?
Thanks in advance.
Simon

Hi Gruvpix, just come across this post of yours which I realise was nearly two years ago but wondered if you still find Cinelike at +1 the best setting for the X5? If so what are your preferred settings for contrast or saturation and do you over expose slightly?
Do you use these settings in 1080?
Thanks in advance.
Simon

On newer firmware versions I have tested 2.7k and don't like it at all. It's too mushy now for use. I only ever shoot 4K as it looks the best and downsamples well to 1080p. I still am liking D-cinelike over D-log, but I keep the sharpness/contrast etc. settings all at 0.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctfulgham