Welcome Matrice Pilots!
Join our free DJI Matrice community today!

X5 1080p awful quality

I payed $1400 for my x5 and plan on using it as a backup for the x5r when the time arrives. I hope that I did not go wrong not waiting for the Inspire 2.
With the exception of the low bitrate, which is only egregiously obvious in 4k (to my eye anyways), each issue new and old can and most likely will be fixed over time through FW updates. The problem is early adopters like ourselves purchase the units before mass testing and feedback has been done, so there are heaps of bugs to work out before everything is perfected. If you're always waiting for that perfect product, I feel like you'll be waiting a long time - especially with DJI!

I payed $1400 for my x5 and plan on using it as a backup for the x5r when the time arrives. I hope that I did not go wrong not waiting for the Inspire 2.
$1400? Where did you get that deal? Isn't the body only usually $1599?

I only shoot in 4K and I only use the X3.
Clients love the footage. It looks awesome.
It looks awesome on my set too !
How many times do I have to repeat myself about what I said about the x5 systems?

Just been out having a little test shooting in 1080p and think I have just about got the settings how I want them. Really needs to be watch actually on Youtube to see it in better quality

I think they will have sorted before the X5R release as no one is going to spend that sort of money if it still has the same softness issues

I had the same response when the first X5 footage came out, the 60/Mbs at 4K is a real bummer, though only experienced DPs have noticed the compression so far.

I do have high hopes for the X5R, but we can only wait until the new camera's footage arrives for download.

I had the same response when the first X5 footage came out, the 60/Mbs at 4K is a real bummer, though only experienced DPs have noticed the compression so far.

I do have high hopes for the X5R, but we can only wait until the new camera's footage arrives for download.
I've had great results in 2.7k setting. I turn the sharpness up 1 and it produces a super nice image. I agree that artifacting is quite obvious in 4K, especially in dark areas. 1080p is still good but it's nice having the extra pixels.
I would have to directly compare the same shot with X5 and X5R to determine if it is worth the $3500 investment.

I've had great results in 2.7k setting. I turn the sharpness up 1 and it produces a super nice image. I agree that artifacting is quite obvious in 4K, especially in dark areas. 1080p is still good but it's nice having the extra pixels.
I would have to directly compare the same shot with X5 and X5R to determine if it is worth the $3500 investment.

The X5R will be notably better than the X5.

And more importantly that look it generates is what will take your videos from go pro footage that everyone has (including X5 users) to the next level that very few people have that will be good enough for fairly high level TV work.

So are dji charging a premium yes, but is what it can deliver worth it to you?

For most serious pro's and prosumers, it probably will be and we'll get the money somehow because the X5R will be on another level and if you're serious about this stuff you have to move up, or your footage is going to end up looking low end in comparison.

My ego won't accept that.

Reactions: slim.slamma

And more importantly that look it generates is what will take your videos from go pro footage that everyone has (including X5 users) to the next level that very few people have that will be good enough for fairly high level TV work.

For most serious pro's and prosumers, it probably will be and we'll get the money somehow because the X5R will be on another level and if you're serious about this stuff you have to move up, or your footage is going to end up looking low end in comparison.

We do not yet know what firmware will be running on the X5R and if it is the same as the current X5 firmware then I cannot see it being any different to the current state of affairs. It's the firmware that controls all the values and resolutions etc. There is a Beta firmware doing the rounds currently that is supposed to of increased sharpness in 4K and Dlog and Cine modes so lets wait and see what it's like when it gets released

I dunno, it's tough to say that with any degree of certainty. I can see it being better but again it comes down to is it $3,500 better? The more you spend the more those tiny little improvements in quality become more expensive to achieve. If your ego can't take substandard footage, why not a Movi hex sporting an Alexa mini? It's all relative. To me the X5 is a huge step up from the X3 as much as others on the forum would disagree. I see the X5R as being an incremental improvement over the X5 with the main advantage being more flexibility to play with the colour and look of the footage. I am skeptical that it will not be as good as everyone is expecting it to be.

I think the X5 is quite nice at 1080p and low iso. At 4K and high ISO, I start to see macroblocking, fixed pattern noise, and shadow flicker. The X5R shouldn't have most of these problems, but that's not a guarantee. The X5R may still have the shadow flicker, though, and that would be a deal breaker for me. Of course there is no reason why the X5 needs to have any of these issues either with the right software or hardware. The bit rate is isn't necessarily a concern unless you want to do a lot of post color work. My feeling is that if you can notice a difference between the X5 and X5R with just a standard grade on the X5R, then that is proof that DJI somehow screwed up the X5 and fixed the hardware on the X5R. The C100 with it's low bitrate looks fantastic and has none of the issues of the X5.

Reactions: gruvpix
Anyone wondering why RAW is worth it, take a look at this video. Notice the amount of dynamic range captured in the high contrast scenes.

Anyone wondering why RAW is worth it, take a look at this video. Notice the amount of dynamic range captured in the high contrast scenes.

That doesn't have much to do with raw though, ultimately the DR should be essentially the same between the X5 and X5R, obviously with the raw version if you f up your exposure the shot is likely still salvageable as there is so much more data there, but I would expect the actual look of the shots to be quite similar.

DJI has everything you need :D

Good-Quality Video: X3
Good-Quality: Photos X5
Good-Quality-Photos and Videos: X5R

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RomanChrz