Welcome Matrice Pilots!
Join our free DJI Matrice community today!

whats you video settings

Reaction score
Hi together

i am verry happy with the Photos i get from the X5. But with the Video i am not.
Whats you settings to fly an do some Videos of Landscape ?
Manual Focus and unlimited ? Aperture 10 ?
I want the maximum of depth of field.

Thanx

Hi together

i am verry happy with the Photos i get from the X5. But with the Video i am not.
Whats you settings to fly an do some Videos of Landscape ?
Manual Focus and unlimited ? Aperture 10 ?
I want the maximum of depth of field.

Thanx

Don't stop you lens down so far because at f/10+ your resolution will decrease due to lens diffraction. F/4 to f/5.6 is the sweet spot (max MTF value) for the DJI 15 mm f/1.7 lens. That will give you a range of focus between 8-9 ft and infinity if set at infinity. Or you could set focus at hyperfocal distance of 16 ft to get a slightly closer near-in-focus range). Don't forget to calibrate the lens for infinity (Tools section of camera Menu, top right side of the Start/Stop Button).

I shoot in D-LOG and Style None or Landscape (+1, 0, 0), ISO 100 -400 (subject to available light), with shutter speed to get a proper exposure (per histogram). 4K30 in .MOV. I use a B+W 0.9 ND when necessary, but have found that the 180-degree shutter rule doesn't always provide the best looking footage if panning (I'll go as high as 1/120 sec when in 4K30 to reduce motion blur before getting jitter when panning and I reduce panning speed to mitigate the jitter). Don't forget to use the new C1/C2 functions (C1 hold to change focus with right trim wheel, C2 hold to adjust gimbal roll with same wheel). I edit, color grade with Lumetri and render in Premiere Pro CC with a custom LUT I configured to give me the best output, but remember that the end product (YT, Vimeo, Blue-Ray, broadcast, etc) will determine what choices are made in editing, grading and rendering. Hope this gets you started. ;)

Don't stop you lens down so far because at f/10+ your resolution will decrease due to lens diffraction. F/4 to f/5.6 is the sweet spot (max MTF value) for the DJI 15 mm f/1.7 lens. That will give you a range of focus between 8-9 ft and infinity if set at infinity. Or you could set focus at hyperfocal distance of 16 ft to get a slightly closer near-in-focus range). Don't forget to calibrate the lens for infinity (Tools section of camera Menu, top right side of the Start/Stop Button).

I shoot in D-LOG and Style None or Landscape (+1, 0, 0), ISO 100 -400 (subject to available light), with shutter speed to get a proper exposure (per histogram). 4K30 in .MOV. I use a B+W 0.9 ND when necessary, but have found that the 180-degree shutter rule doesn't always provide the best looking footage if panning (I'll go as high as 1/120 sec when in 4K30 to reduce motion blur before getting jitter when panning and I reduce panning speed to mitigate the jitter). Don't forget to use the new C1/C2 functions (C1 hold to change focus with right trim wheel, C2 hold to adjust gimbal roll with same wheel). I edit, color grade with Lumetri and render in Premiere Pro CC with a custom LUT I configured to give me the best output, but remember that the end product (YT, Vimeo, Blue-Ray, broadcast, etc) will determine what choices are made in editing, grading and rendering. Hope this gets you started. ;)

To calibrate the lens...I'm not seeing any written info on this...could you help me out? I just got my X5 and it seems to be working fine...I just need to make sure I'm doing the right thing with focus. Should I be in manual focus overall set to infinity?

Thanks

To calibrate the lens...I'm not seeing any written info on this...could you help me out? I just got my X5 and it seems to be working fine...I just need to make sure I'm doing the right thing with focus. Should I be in manual focus overall set to infinity?

Thanks

The lens needs to calibrated , regardless of whether you shoot in AF or MF. Go to Tool icon in Camera menu, scroll down to calibrate lens, then use the focus square to focus on high contrast object at least 50 meters away to set infinity for that lens. Do this for each lens you use. If you do this in photo mode, the focus assistant (enlarged area when you tap the subject with the focus square) will make it easier to calibrate.

Do you calibrate the lens once as per normal camera or do you calibrate it everytime you change battery/start up?
I have been doing the latter.....

The lens needs to calibrated , regardless of whether you shoot in AF or MF. Go to Tool icon in Camera menu, scroll down to calibrate lens, then use the focus square to focus on high contrast object at least 50 meters away to set infinity for that lens. Do this for each lens you use. If you do this in photo mode, the focus assistant (enlarged area when you tap the subject with the focus square) will make it easier to calibrate.

Thanks...I am assuming that I should keep the switch on the lens in AF and then choose AF or MF using the APP? I know the manual says to keep the switch in AF. I know this may sound stupid, but I'm just trying to make sure I'm getting the best out of this system.

Yes keep the lens on AF.

Go into AF or MF in the app.

Set focus distance/near/infinity etc

Yes keep the lens on AF.

Go into AF or MF in the app.

Set focus distance/near/infinity etc

Not to be ****, but I'm assuming this should be done with the craft on the ground...with no movement...pointed at something in the far distance that is high contrast?

Thanks,

Figbar.

You do not have to do this on the ground. Well yes to start with.

But then you can do it in flight(hover) as the subject changes etc. This is the main advantage of the inspire system. No long set up and flying a dumb camera that needs to be brought down to earth to change settings as conditions surrounding subject change. Frame your subject,read off histogram THINK about aperture/iso/shutter/what effect you want to produce and you should nail exposure/settings etc every time. You even have review playback after test shots etc.

Do not "spray and pray" as you will do you and your a/c a disservice as you are both better than that!!!

HTH

Figbar.

You do not have to do this on the ground. Well yes to start with.

But then you can do it in flight(hover) as the subject changes etc. This is the main advantage of the inspire system. No long set up and flying a dumb camera that needs to be brought down to earth to change settings as conditions surrounding subject change. Frame your subject,read off histogram THINK about aperture/iso/shutter/what effect you want to produce and you should nail exposure/settings etc every time. You even have review playback after test shots etc.

Do not "spray and pray" as you will do you and your a/c a disservice as you are both better than that!!!

HTH
Thanks...I just figured that the calibration should be done when the craft is absolutely not moving. I agree with you about thinking all of this out beforehand...have some type of plan in place before you fly/shoot.

Thanks for the great info in your post. Where'd you find the MTF data for the 15mm lens? Have a reference?

pb

Thanks for the great info in your post. Where'd you find the MTF data for the 15mm lens? Have a reference?

pb

I made the assumption that the DJI lens is based on the design of the Panasonic/Leica 15 mm f/1.7 ASPH (could just be a re-branding, but not confirmed). Attached is a discussion of the Pana/Leica lens.Screen Shot 2015-10-25 at 6.26.32 AM.png

Reactions: PeterofAVL
@Quadpilot

Thanks a lot for your feedback.
Till now i ever used F8, as you wrote i better use F5.6. For F5.6 and right Shutter Speed, i will need a ND8, not ?
What ist that with the new C1 and C2 functions ? Why should i use the Gimbal Roll ?

And why the 4K Videos looks less sharp on my Computer as the FullHD Videos ? Any Idea ?
(direct from cam)

Thank you
nadsas

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RomanChrz