Welcome Matrice Pilots!
Join our free DJI Matrice community today!

Warning to all X5 owners

Dont have the solution other than fly camera in free mode. It's only FPV mode that's affected.
Actually it's not a problem, but more like an inconvenience as i can put the gimbal on free mode, then rotate copter 45 degrees so that the gimbal is straight with the copter and then put the gimbal back to follow mode.
But i was actually wondering why the gimbal is offset 45 degrees in the first place.
I can't seem to find out where the motor encoder is located, because to me it looks like you can not reassemble the motor incorrectly.

Also had a small crash with I1 v2.0 and X5 gimbal and it cracked the YAW motor mount.
Yaw motor was crooked, but i managed to straighten it and then added some epoxy glue to strengthen the area around cracks.
Couple of photos of cracks and after epoxy glue - https://goo.gl/photos/69JVzv8xzJ9RLT6g7
Seems to hold for 5 flights now.

But i have a problem, after reassembly of the yaw motor, X5 will boot up 45 degrees to the left from center.
See video -

the small nut that you removed or turned on the yaw axis motor has a small magnet at it's centre, this determines the neutral location for that axis, so disassemble the parts to get access to that nut and turn it the appropriate amount to correct the direction

the small nut that you removed or turned on the yaw axis motor has a small magnet at it's centre, this determines the neutral location for that axis, so disassemble the parts to get access to that nut and turn it the appropriate amount to correct the direction
Thanks, gonna check the nut position later tonight. I have taken that nut off and put on countless times and i belive i can't have put it back on every time exactly the same. So i guess DJI has made something in the software that changes the position to be 45 degrees off even when the nut is only let's say 10 degrees off.

EDIT:
Thanks, got the yaw angle correct. It took like over 20 tries to get the nut position correct as even a very minor movement turned the yaw motor completely haywire.

FleaBay is your only option presently.
Fixnfly at eBay sells them - Zenmuse X5 Ribbon Cable

Last edited:
Reactions: Area21
I have damaged three X5 gimbals and cameras. They went for lightweight but the ally they used is like butter. I lower the legs anytime I am under 50 feet AGL now for this reason but DJI has so many other problems with their build, it is like a prototype that nobody ever fixed, fly offs, battery discharge issues, the list is endless.

Reactions: Bossman
I had my X5 replaced by DJI, then the vibration plate cracked right at the connection for the camera. I replaced the vibration plate and now 2 out of 3 times the camera is not detected during startup. Its like I almost have to squeeze the two connections together hard while turning the lock lever. I agree the X5 has its issues.

I confirm the faultiness of that exact part in the x5 (yaw motor). Our drone came out of its pelican hard case designed for it, broken after airline must have dropped the case or something (should still be fine since it is supported with laser cut foam inside and designed to transport the drone). Once inspecting the gimbal I took it apart to find the thin metal part on the yaw motor plate cracked off. That metal is week. DJI shouldn't expect you to buy a whole new x5 gimbal because of a faulty product they manufactured and don't have replacement parts to purchase online.

I caution those looking to get a DJI product, particularly the x5. Be aware of the flaws in the engineering of the x5 gimbal

I confirm the faultiness of that exact part in the x5 (yaw motor). Our drone came out of its pelican hard case designed for it, broken after airline must have dropped the case or something (should still be fine since it is supported with laser cut foam inside and designed to transport the drone). Once inspecting the gimbal I took it apart to find the thin metal part on the yaw motor plate cracked off. That metal is week. DJI shouldn't expect you to buy a whole new x5 gimbal because of a faulty product they manufactured and don't have replacement parts to purchase online.

I caution those looking to get a DJI product, particularly the x5. Be aware of the flaws in the engineering of the x5 gimbal
After market parts are available......

DJI Zenmuse X5 Gimbal Yaw Arm (Upper arm)

I saw that, but its not the yaw arm that is broke, its the motor that attaches at the top that needs replacement. The picture attached shows whats faulty. Thanks though

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 132
Tin foil indeed..... I am now officially waiting on version 2 before I buy anything from DJI again. These Phantom 3's have been a joy.

I wouldn't anticipate better quality components on the gimbals, design material selection errors have been prevalent since the Phantom 2 Vision series, the P3 gimbals share related issues

and we go round the mulberry bush...

I appreciate this is an old post, but I just wanted to post an update from my research into fixing X3 and X5 gimbals. First off, if you do attempt to take one apart to fix it, make sure you index the nut beneath the gimbal PCB, as has been noted in the past.

A quick and easy way to do this is to get hold of a button compass and run it around the nut, whilst the gimbal is either at full clockwise or full anticlockwise rotation. I choose full anticlockwise (see this thread I contributed to on the DJI forum Manual Gimbal Adjustment (after yet another crash)). I would always check before disassembly although my experience has been that all gimbals have the same index position.

Secondly, regarding failure of the hanger area around the yaw motor mount, it clearly is a weak point I have an X5R mount currently being duplicated in SolidWorks and will be getting a high-strength aluminium version made up as a training exercise at work. There are only a few small differences between the X5 and X5R versions, so I'll have the Solidworks file modified for the X5 once it's done. If anyone wants the file when it's finished, I can make it available.
I would say though, that to strip the motor out of the hanger is not a job for the faint-hearted. I've done it once and have yet to put the thing back together. I'm not completely convinced I can get it back together and working once it's in the new mount. I'll post some pictures when I do it.

Once the motor shaft was out, the motor windings prised off and the plastic insluation plate removed, I found I could gently knock the bottom bearing out of the casting fairly easily but the top one required a bearing puller to be improvised. I cobbled one together out of a long bolt, the head of which sits under the bearing. on the other end, a circular servo horn applies the pressure to the top of the casting with a couple of nuts, through which the bolt pulls itself up. Simply turning the bolt whilst holding nut steady, pulls the top bearing out like a champ.

[GALLERY=media, 795]IMG_2968 by darrene posted Mar 18, 2017 at 2:49 PM[/GALLERY]
[GALLERY=media, 794]IMG_2967 by darrene posted Mar 18, 2017 at 2:49 PM[/GALLERY]
[GALLERY=media, 793]IMG_2966 by darrene posted Mar 18, 2017 at 2:49 PM[/GALLERY]
[GALLERY=media, 792]IMG_2965 by darrene posted Mar 18, 2017 at 2:49 PM[/GALLERY]

Last edited:
I have yet another X5 broken in the same place, which occurred with the camera on the Osmo handle.

This breakage is not the result of a crash on the inspire, so I would say that the problem remains unresolved

Reactions: MedicFL1
Add another one to the list. :(
Cant find anything for parts, but did find a guy that welds them.
Will try that route first. If that doesn't work, it looks like a $300 job from a DJI repair station.
If anyone knows of a manufactured part or other fix, please let me know.
Currently thinking about laser scanning the part in hopes of making something better later.

Well the weld did not hold up.
With such a clean break right at the crease, it looked difficult to weld anyway.
Pretty much broke as soon as I put it on the drone.
$70 wasted there.
So I ended up having the send it in to DJI because they do not sell the part needed separately. How convenient.
So in the end, I am out $348 for a fairly simple fix with a $24 part that I cant get.
This quote below seems to be the norm for this repair. While I may not agree with it. It seems they always replace each of those parts when doing this repair.
I just hope they actually replace them as the only one that was needed was the motor module. Probably done to milk the labor hours or just common place to replace all of them due to the location of the damage.
I feel I could have done the repair in an hour maybe 2 tops to allow for fine tuning. And I have taken the X5 apart only once.
Is what it is. Just so long as the same serial number comes back in perfect working condition with my lens and the SD card.

Case No: CAS-XXXXXXX
DJI Care Balance:
Quote Date: 05-23-17
Remarks: Zenmuse X5 058DDH19xxxxxx Technotes: Broken Gimbal due to impact. - No DJI care.

Item Quantity Unit Price(USD) Total Price(USD)
Zenmuse X5 Yaw-axis Arm Module 1 20.00 20.00
Zenmuse X5_Gimbal_Yaw_ESC Board 1 24.00 24.00
Zenmuse X5 Yaw-axis Motor Module 1 24.00 24.00
Repair Service Fee 3 65.00/H 195.00
Freight: 15.00
Total Amount: 278.00
DJI Care deduction: 0.00
Total Payment: 278.00

Reactions: radf9760
That invoice is seriously loaded as you've already noted - they know what they're doing and they know that we know and couldn't care less - it's a very exploitive business model

Reactions: DelmarvaDrone
I appreciate this is an old post, but I just wanted to post an update from my research into fixing X3 and X5 gimbals. First off, if you do attempt to take one apart to fix it, make sure you index the nut beneath the gimbal PCB, as has been noted in the past.

A quick and easy way to do this is to get hold of a button compass and run it around the nut, whilst the gimbal is either at full clockwise or full anticlockwise rotation. I choose full anticlockwise (see this thread I contributed to on the DJI forum Manual Gimbal Adjustment (after yet another crash)). I would always check before disassembly although my experience has been that all gimbals have the same index position.

Secondly, regarding failure of the hanger area around the yaw motor mount, it clearly is a weak point I have an X5R mount currently being duplicated in SolidWorks and will be getting a high-strength aluminium version made up as a training exercise at work. There are only a few small differences between the X5 and X5R versions, so I'll have the Solidworks file modified for the X5 once it's done. If anyone wants the file when it's finished, I can make it available.
I would say though, that to strip the motor out of the hanger is not a job for the faint-hearted. I've done it once and have yet to put the thing back together. I'm not completely convinced I can get it back together and working once it's in the new mount. I'll post some pictures when I do it.

Once the motor shaft was out, the motor windings prised off and the plastic insluation plate removed, I found I could gently knock the bottom bearing out of the casting fairly easily but the top one required a bearing puller to be improvised. I cobbled one together out of a long bolt, the head of which sits under the bearing. on the other end, a circular servo horn applies the pressure to the top of the casting with a couple of nuts, through which the bolt pulls itself up. Simply turning the bolt whilst holding nut steady, pulls the top bearing out like a champ.

[GALLERY=media, 795]IMG_2968 by darrene posted Mar 18, 2017 at 2:49 PM[/GALLERY]
[GALLERY=media, 794]IMG_2967 by darrene posted Mar 18, 2017 at 2:49 PM[/GALLERY]
[GALLERY=media, 793]IMG_2966 by darrene posted Mar 18, 2017 at 2:49 PM[/GALLERY]
[GALLERY=media, 792]IMG_2965 by darrene posted Mar 18, 2017 at 2:49 PM[/GALLERY]
HI,

Did you manage to get these made?

Thanks

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bigbair