Welcome Matrice Pilots!
Join our free DJI Matrice community today!

URGENT - Help needed in Robbinsville, NC for child search & rescue

Reaction score
URGENT - SEEKING ALL DRONE OWNERS NEAR ROBBINSVILLE, NC: Need your help in Search & Rescue for missing child & grandmother in Big Snowbird!

Yesterday morning, Wednesday May 31, Maddie Anderson, a 13-yo girl and her grandmother, Chris Plonski, set out for a hike into the forest near Robbinsville, NC. As of today, neither Maddie nor her grandmother have returned. Their car is still at the Snowbird Creek trailhead. A search is underway, being coordinated by the Graham County Sheriff's office.

Their car was left at the Snowbird Creek Trailhead (GPS: Latitude: 35.273442 | Longitude: -83.912333) and they made a call to family from the summit of Mouse Knob. It is expected that they are somewhere between these two points. If anyone could assist, especially those with thermal imaging or search & rescue experience, it would be immensely appreciated. Rescue helicopters are expected to be in the area tomorrow (Friday) if she is not found today, so remain at a low altitude and be vigilant of other aircraft.

Anyone venturing to the Snowbird Creek Trailhead can liaise with local S&R teams on the ground. But remote operators can report any findings to Graham County Dispatch at (828) 479-7985.

At this point it is unknown what each woman was wearing. Attached is a photo of Maddie, and we are working on obtaining a photo of her grandmother.

More information, as we know it, will be posted here.

Any leads should be forwarded to Graham County Dispatch at (828) 479-7985.

Thank you for your help in finding Maddie!

Attachments

• Maddie Anderson.jpg
    Maddie Anderson.jpg
    254.6 KB · Views: 43
UPDATE: June 2, 2017 9:52AM - FOUND AND RESCUED

Maddie and her grandmother have been found in the woods. They are ok. No other information as to what happened or how they were found has yet been made available, but I will post additional information as it becomes available. On behalf of the Anderson and Plonski families, I wanted to extend my deep, deep and sincere gratitude to everyone - known and unknown- who assisted. Words cannot express how amazing it was to see strangers spring into action and support.

Thank God this one had a happy ending!

Reactions: licensed pilot
UPDATE: June 2, 2017 9:52AM - FOUND AND RESCUED

Maddie and her grandmother have been found in the woods. They are ok. No other information as to what happened or how they were found has yet been made available, but I will post additional information as it becomes available. On behalf of the Anderson and Plonski families, I wanted to extend my deep, deep and sincere gratitude to everyone - known and unknown- who assisted. Words cannot express how amazing it was to see strangers spring into action and support.

Thank God this one had a happy ending!
Glad there was a happy ending. Any details you can share on UAV use (number, missions flown, etc) would be helpful to those of us in public safety.

I use to live out west in western NC. Glad this had a happy ending. Hoping to add TI/FLIR one day to our business. Just not a big request right now.

Glad there was a happy ending. Any details you can share on UAV use (number, missions flown, etc) would be helpful to those of us in public safety.

I'm not sure how many UAS were flown on Thursday but on Friday we had 2 UAS on stand-by waiting on the NCSHP Helicopter to come on-scene. Fortunately before we could get in the air boots-on-the-ground found both of them in great shape. Terrain wasn't too bad and the weather was great (mild nights and days with no rain) for being lost in the wilderness. They had taken a wrong trail/turn and ended up several miles away from where they thought they were.

I'm not sure how many UAS were flown on Thursday but on Friday we had 2 UAS on stand-by waiting on the NCSHP Helicopter to come on-scene. Fortunately before we could get in the air boots-on-the-ground found both of them in great shape. Terrain wasn't too bad and the weather was great (mild nights and days with no rain) for being lost in the wilderness. They had taken a wrong trail/turn and ended up several miles away from where they thought they were.
thanks.

Reactions: BigAl07

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oharac