Welcome Matrice Pilots!
Join our free DJI Matrice community today!

Unofficial Inspire X5 compatible lens list

I have the Panasonic Lumix 8mm wide-angle lens. I noticed it is on the list as a working lens. I own one of these and it does fit. I also can get a picture as well. Though when I first attached it and booted up the craft it beeped a while as though it were updating. Then stopped and I had to power cycle it. Afterwards though it booted up normally.

However does anyone else have experience using this lens on the inspire? It appears that my lens will not focus. When I try to auto focus it the target reticle flashes repeatedly. When i do manual focus it doesnt change. When pointing at a spot to auto focus the reticle flashes for about 10 seconds and then the lens seems to turn off and then turn back on again. The app itself says the lens disconnects but then it reconnects.

My question is has anyone else had this experience with this lens. I really want to use this lens with the osmo. I have the X5 adapter order and when it comes in I really want to test it. But I am unsure whether or not the Drone doesn't know how to use it, or if the lens is defective. So that is why I'm asking here. I do not have the camera to test it on other than my drone.

Last edited:
Good deal your opinions and observations always generate great insight and are always encouraged and very much welcome.
Happy to help which lens is it? The focal distance is millimeters is the terminology most often used to describe the lens.

Did anyone tried Panasonic 25mm f1.4 ?
Also I'm interested if somebody is using Panasonic 42.5mm f1.2?

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

Last edited:
The Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 25mm f/1.4 ASPH lens at $597.99 is unfortunately also 63mm in outside diameter preventing it from being installed without interfering with the tilt motor housing in addition to the fact that it weighs 200g making it approximately 40g over what the gimble is capable of supporting and balancing.
The Panasonic Lumix 25mm f/1.7 ASPH lens lens at $247.99 is 60.8mm in outside diameter which allows it to just clear the tilt motor housing in addition to the fact it weighs 125g meaning balancing is very similar to the DJI 15mm.
The Olympus M. Zuiko Digital 25mm f/1.8 lens at $349.00 is 55mm in outside diameter also clearing the tilt motor housing while weighing 136g allowing for equally as easily achieved balancing.
Obviously the later two will work just fine and the Olympus has a reputation for excellent results which I can affirm as i also own one. That said I've read reviews indicating the 25mm f/1.7 Panasonic is designed and produced in a similar manner as the 42.5 f/1.7 at $397.99 which is the overachieving little brother of the amazing but insanely expensive 42.5mm f/1.2 at $1597.99 Along with the expected clarity and lack of discernible distortion both have incredible bokeh and depth of field. As the 42.5mm f/1.7 is my absolute favorite on my X5 and the 42.5mm f/1.2 is my absolute favorite on my GH4 I would definitely go for the 25mm f/1.7 Panasonic as I think you'll have an absolute winner in both price and performance. I should add that the great bokeh and depth of field in my avatar is the 42.5mm f/1.2 on my GH4

Last edited:
The Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 25mm f/1.4 ASPH lens at $597.99 is unfortunately also 63mm in outside diameter preventing it from being installed without interfering with the tilt motor housing in addition to the fact that it weighs 200g making it approximately 40g over what the gimble is capable of supporting and balancing.
The Panasonic Lumix 25mm f/1.7 ASPH lens lens at $247.99 is 60.8mm in outside diameter which allows it to just clear the tilt motor housing in addition to the fact it weighs 125g meaning balancing is very similar to the DJI 15mm.
The Olympus M. Zuiko Digital 25mm f/1.8 lens at $349.00 is 55mm in outside diameter also clearing the tilt motor housing while weighing 136g allowing for equally as easily achieved balancing.
Obviously the later two will work just fine and the Olympus has a reputation for excellent results which I can affirm as i also own one. That said I've read reviews indicating the 25mm f/1.7 Panasonic is designed and produced in a similar manner as the 42.5 f/1.7 at $397.99 which is the overachieving little brother of the amazing but insanely expensive 42.5mm f/1.2 at $1597.99 Along with the expected clarity and lack of discernible distortion both have incredible bokeh and depth of field. As the 42.5mm f/1.7 is my absolute favorite on my X5 and the 42.5mm f/1.2 is my absolute favorite on my GH4 I would definitely go for the 25mm f/1.7 Panasonic as I think you'll have an absolute winner in both price and performance.
Thanks for all the great information, I didn't thought yet the lens size could be a problem, thanks for noting that!
Did Panasonic 42.5 f1.2 fit on the x5 gimbal?

Thanks for all the great information, I didn't thought yet the lens size could be a problem, thanks for noting that!
Did Panasonic 42.5 f1.2 fit on the x5 gimbal?
Unfortunately the f/1.2 is 74mm in diameter making it impossible to install on the X5 hence why it's wonderful the f/1.7 fits and provides very similar results for so much less money.

Hey Chnjab!

Thanks for the great List you provided.
Ive got an Issue wit the Panasonic 42.5, 1.7.
Without any Filters its nearly perfect balanced.
As soon as i attach a Slim UV or anything else it gets Noseweight.

In your List you add an UV Filter + Lensehood.
How can that be ?

Hey Chnjab!

Thanks for the great List you provided.
Ive got an Issue wit the Panasonic 42.5, 1.7.
Without any Filters its nearly perfect balanced.
As soon as i attach a Slim UV or anything else it gets Noseweight.

In your List you add an UV Filter + Lensehood.
How can that be ?
Very good question! The data I have is in agreement with what you see. I would first caution that the although I add a filter and hood both are very light totaling only 20g. The length and weight of that lens very much limit the available options as the not to exceed weight listed displays. I personally use that lens very often and use a light weight variable ND or a circular polarizing filter. As both exceed the weight of the UV (8g) it prevents the addition of the hood due to exceeding the amount of weight acceptable at the length required which is farther from the tilt pivot point than any other except for possibly the 14-42 when extended. However the issue of "balancing" a lens has never been described by DJI nor have the limits and technical requirements for achieving acceptable weight distribution on the X5 gimble. Upon the release of the X5 and prior to even beginning to test lenses that DJI had not endorsed I carefully measured gimble geometry, pivot points, and the weight involved and controlled by each motor and the relative static state of that weight. What I learned, primarily from the DJI 15mm but reinforced with the 12mm and 45mm was that the gimble wasn't designed to see a state of complete static balance at any motor. Upon realizing this I wanted to understand why and delved into what components have been utilized, exactly how they function, and the engineering principles at work. I arrived at a theory of the function and requirements of this design which I then began to test. Out of that theory came the parameters to apply to achieve a state of what many refer to as "balance" for the combination of a given lens and the camera components controlled by the tilt motor. More exactly the static distribution of weight of the camera and a given lens combined. This was actually only the starting point as even when one achieves the predicted optimum static weight distribution it doesn't address the tilt motors ability to raise or lower the weight that is acting upon it. This is why even though a particular lens may "balance" doesn't mean it won't overheat the motors if it is tilted forward and then raised to level again. The other issue which also isn't always realized is that the camera lens assembly isn't centered on the horizontal axis control motor. This actually reinforces the aforementioned theory of function and design though also serves to limit how much additional weight may be added. So after putting you through reading all this what I probably should have just said is yes your right and it's actually supposed to be that way.;)

Thanks for that in detail explanation.
That´s typical for DJI, no detailed Information about the things, that count. ;-)
I just measured my step-up ring&uv filter, they´re 13g together.
So if i get you right ("it´s actually supposed to be that way."), the Noseshift is normal.
But doesn´t that wear out my Motors in long term?
133g+13g = 146g which is way under your recommended max weight of 156g.
So i should be ok with it?

Your 100% fine as your well within the weight they're designed to handle and the work the motors are doing is no different than the stabilization required during flight which is exactly what they're designed to do.

Unofficial Inspire X5 compatible lens list. Compiled by a friend of mine and reposted with his permission. Thx Chnjab!

Dropbox - X5lenstesting.pdf

Hi. My Android phone app Office Suite doesn't think you file is a PDF. It works fine on other files I have downloaded. What did you use to make it? Will try on my computer when I get back to it.

So...does anyone have any usage time on the Lumix wide angle lens on the inspire?

If your referring to the 8mm fish eye then yes I have used it quite a bit. Every now and then the camera will report lens disconnected when attempting to focus. This seems to follow installing this lens after calibrating and using another. I've found that as long as you perform lens calibration when you install it the focus will work normally. If the menu doesn't offer lens calibration remove lens, turn on inspire and then turn off, reinstall lens and turn Inspire back on, lens calibration should now be available.

If your referring to the 8mm fish eye then yes I have used it quite a bit. Every now and then the camera will report lens disconnected when attempting to focus. This seems to follow installing this lens after calibrating and using another. I've found that as long as you perform lens calibration when you install it the focus will work normally. If the menu doesn't offer lens calibration remove lens, turn on inspire and then turn off, reinstall lens and turn Inspire back on, lens calibration should now be available.
Thanks. I'll check that out then :)

Seems when I go to do the calibration...when I select a target...the reticle just flashes for about 10 seconds and then lens disconnects and reconnects. I can't get it to lock onto anything to press ok on the calibration. Any ideas? I can manually change the slider...but because it's not calibrated it's not focused correctly.

Seems when I go to do the calibration...when I select a target...the reticle just flashes for about 10 seconds and then lens disconnects and reconnects. I can't get it to lock onto anything to press ok on the calibration. Any ideas? I can manually change the slider...but because it's not calibrated it's not focused correctly.

Does anyone else have success with the 8mm or some sample footage? After correction in post is this a suitable wide replacement or only suitable for fisheye specific look / shots?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LangeJens