Welcome Matrice Pilots!
Join our free DJI Matrice community today!

Silky Smooth Yaw

Reaction score
Dual operator is pretty easy to get smooth yaw but I am still not pleased with single operator especially with the 25mm and 45mm lenses. Running latest 1.6FW. Have my expo turned alll the way down and my end point set to <100.

Still getting jumpy yaw rate changes. On my Futaba RC, I can set a dial to hold a consistent yaw for as long as I want it. The result is silky smooth.

Has anyone found something similar with the Inspire and X5? Is there an app? I haven't found a POI function that is actually smooth. If there was an app that could give me yaw, roll and gimbal tilt trims that would be a big step forward.

You could set up the trims you want, push a button and whamo, three axis smooth movement.

Dual operator is pretty easy to get smooth yaw but I am still not pleased with single operator especially with the 25mm and 45mm lenses. Running latest 1.6FW. Have my expo turned alll the way down and my end point set to <100.

Still getting jumpy yaw rate changes. On my Futaba RC, I can set a dial to hold a consistent yaw for as long as I want it. The result is silky smooth.

Has anyone found something similar with the Inspire and X5? Is there an app? I haven't found a POI function that is actually smooth. If there was an app that could give me yaw, roll and gimbal tilt trims that would be a big step forward.

You could set up the trims you want, push a button and whamo, three axis smooth movement.
When you find out let me know! This is my daily struggle

This is really very poor. I have been battling with it since day one. It's completely unacceptable. I could fly the X3, do the classic yaw with opposite bank while tracking around an object, increase throttle and at the same time use the wheel to accommodate the tilt. Now it's proving impossible. I'm not convinced it's an issue with the yaw of the aircraft but more the gimbal in the way it initiates a pan prior (separate) to the yaw. I can't remember what it's called in the app, but I guess it's supposed to smooth out the start of any yaw movement. But I think it's too aggressive. DJI need to reduce that input by up to 50% in a FW update I suggest.

This is really very poor. I have been battling with it since day one. It's completely unacceptable. I could fly the X3, do the classic yaw with opposite bank while tracking around an object, increase throttle and at the same time use the wheel to accommodate the tilt. Now it's proving impossible. I'm not convinced it's an issue with the yaw of the aircraft but more the gimbal in the way it initiates a pan prior (separate) to the yaw. I can't remember what it's called in the app, but I guess it's supposed to smooth out the start of any yaw movement. But I think it's too aggressive. DJI need to reduce that input by up to 50% in a FW update I suggest.

Agreed, I think the gimbal drift is the main problem, the fact that it is constantly moving one way or another. This was never apparent to the same extent on the X3. I think they just need to figure out how to solve this problem and our prayers will be answered (mostly). I finally have my gains set to where I can get nearly the same level of control with the X5 (12mm) as the X3. Still not the same and movements are a bit more sluggish but it is the best option right now.

Last edited:
Reactions: howard rockliffe
Let's compare settings. Mine are by no means perfect but I think I am getting a little closer. Blade Strike suggested I lower my yaw basic gain. As for the lead/lag of the gimbal yaw, you can kill that by turning on synchronous follow.

Expo
Throttle: .60
Rudder: .20
Elevator / Aileron: .35

Sensitivity
Attitude (20-100): 100
Brake (70-130): 90
Yaw Endpoint (100-150): 110

Basic Gain (70-130)
Pitch: 100
Roll: 100
Yaw: 100
Vertical: 100

Gimbal Expo
Pitch (0-100): 30
Yaw (0-100): 30
Yaw Smooth (0-30): 10
Pitch Smooth (0-30): 10

Yaw Synchronous Follow: ON

Reactions: howard rockliffe
Let's compare settings. Mine are by no means perfect but I think I am getting a little closer. Blade Strike suggested I lower my yaw basic gain. As for the lead/lag of the gimbal yaw, you can kill that by turning on synchronous follow.

Expo
Throttle: .60
Rudder: .20
Elevator / Aileron: .35

Sensitivity
Attitude (20-100): 100
Yaw Endpoint (100-150): 110

Basic Gain (70-130)
Yaw: 100

Gimbal Expo
Pitch (0-100): 30
Yaw (0-100): 30
Yaw Smooth (0-30): 10
Pitch Smooth (0-30): 10

Yaw Synchronous Follow: ON

Thanks Ian, I'll try your settings and see how they compare.

Expo
Throttle: .40
Rudder: .40
Elevator / Aileron: .40

Sensitivity
Attitude (20-100): 70
Yaw Endpoint (100-150): 100

Basic Gain (70-130)
Yaw: 90

Gimbal Expo
Pitch (0-100): 75
Yaw (0-100): 70
Yaw Smooth (0-30): 0
Pitch Smooth (0-30): 0

Yaw Synchronous Follow: OFF

Most tunings are similar enough @ianwood except for the Gimbal Expo, how do you find yours perform with the values so low?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RomanChrz