Welcome Matrice Pilots!
Join our free DJI Matrice community today!

Olympus 45mm Lens Test

Reaction score
Just to give you the heads up...
I've now received the Olympus M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8 which was recently added to the supported lens profile list on the X5 gimbal. If this proves it's self, this could be a game changer for aerial cinematography and photography/inspection work using DJI platforms.

DJI Inspire 1 Pro - Olympus 45mm.jpg
I'm curious as it's such a cheap lens which partially implies it may not be such good quality but as it's part of the Olympus M.Zuiko line, it could be a good bang for the buck.

Providing we get a bit of good weather this weekend, I'll take it out for a spin and update you with my findings.

I'll keep you posted and will write up a full article next week on our blog - www.rcgeeks.co.uk/blog

Reactions: RDTech and RCGeeks
The Olympus 45mm MFT lens is one of their best and beautifully sharp when used with my OM-D E-M1 camera. Don't be fooled by the price. I have been testing it on my X5 with a 37mm Hoya UV filter and a third-party plastic lens hood. It balances well. I have managed some great still images and the narrow field of view is excellent. You do have to stand off some distance to fit some larger subject into the shot. With video the story is different. The narrow field of view makes getting a stable image is difficult in flight and achieving a smooth yawing and pitching using a single RC can be problematic. However, for inspection work it finally allow the I1 to be flown at a safe distance and still get superb images.

Reactions: Chnjab
Phil it is ridiculously cheap for what it offers but the optics are superb, you`ll be impressed, I`ve used once since it was released a few years ago on m43 cameras and it constantly produces the good.
Couldn't agree more apsussex, best value lens i've tested on an aerial platform!
Did some tests over the weekend and loved it!

Reactions: Chnjab and RDTech
I've been testing and using it for almost three weeks. I have a list far longer than DJI's of what not only works but is recognised by the firmware and calibrates. Keep in mind as fast as they developed and rolled out the X5 they didn't write their own firmware let alone have licensed written. just not enough time. It's open source micro four thirds which means there is a ton of functionality already built in they aren't admitting to simply from a liability stand point. until they test it they're not going to tell anyone they can use it. The 45mm is awesome you'll love. Lot's of bang for the buck especially with still photography you'll find it difficult for video just because of the skill set necessary to take good video with the smaller fov.View attachment 4736
Very interesting, do you have a published list of the lenses that work on the Inspire Pro that you have tested for us to see?
I took it out for a spin over the weekend and loved it! I take your point about it being more challanging to cam-op with a tighter FOV but that's why you only use the best guys for the job ;)
Here's a quick video i put together from our tests:

The Olympus 45mm MFT lens is one of their best and beautifully sharp when used with my OM-D E-M1 camera. Don't be fooled by the price. I have been testing it on my X5 with a 37mm Hoya UV filter and a third-party plastic lens hood. It balances well. I have managed some great still images and the narrow field of view is excellent. You do have to stand off some distance to fit some larger subject into the shot. With video the story is different. The narrow field of view makes getting a stable image is difficult in flight and achieving a smooth yawing and pitching using a single RC can be problematic. However, for inspection work it finally allow the I1 to be flown at a safe distance and still get superb images.
Good to hear you've had a good experience with it and managed to get it balanced ok - i had to improvise with a pound coin in the top of the lens to help balance it for the time being!
I agree with your point about having to be a 2 man op but i also stand by that point for aerial filming full stop, whatever the lens. Allows for more dynamic with the bonus of maintaining a good level of safety.
Being so tight opens up a whole new realm for aerial cinematography - check out some of these tracking and parallax shots we got over the weekend

Reactions: Chnjab and RDTech
Update:
I took the 45mm for a spin over the weekend and in short, i was very impressed and it will definitely be joining our armory for commercial aerial filming.
Here's a quick video showing what we got for those of you that are interested

I will be doing a more detailed write up on our blog soon
www.rcgeeks.co.uk/blog

Last edited:
Here are photos taken in Raw then converted to JPG. Photoshop was used to enhance photos.

Attachments

• 45mm lens.jpg
    45mm lens.jpg
    6.1 MB · Views: 153
  • 45mm lens_2.jpg
    45mm lens_2.jpg
    7.1 MB · Views: 137
Reactions: RDTech
Fantastic.

I have liked your post but let me give you a big public thumbs up with sharing this information.

Bravo

Before answering your question I have to say Excellent video! No matter how well the post that took two very experienced operators to achieve. So far the list I have found success with is as follows. Of course the supplied DJI MFT 15mm f/1.7-Panasonic Lumix 15mm f/1.7 which are one and the same and just not that impressive IMO Now to the ones I'm using regularly; Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm f2.0 - Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm f3.5-5.6 EZ - Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm f1.8 - Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm f1.8 - Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm f1.8 - and my current favorite Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm f3.5. This represents the list of lenses that can be balanced, aren't overloading the gimble, and are recognized and calibrate. My failures, to save others some time, the Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 9-18mm f4.0-5.6 and the Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm f3.5-5.6 II R. Both lenses that weren't a success were recognized and would calibrate but were just a little too much on the gimble once extended. All the lenses that I have been successful with in some cases require attention to balancing the gimble. Whether with balance rings, filters, hoods, or combinations of. Although two of the lenses listed have 37mm outer rings I converted them to 46mm with step down rings so all my filters are of the same size. I also ended up sourcing used Contax screw in hoods of different lengths which I found great success with as opposed to trying to use the three or four differently designed Olympus hoods which in many cases were just too heavy. A tip that may help others is in all cases I began by installing a very inexpensive Tiffen UV filter to protect the lens itself. After that some lenses have the filter of choice added then a hood and some the filter of choice replaces the Tiffen. Basically what it does is grant you inexpensive protection to all of your lenses and none will then require an actual balance ring as the UV in some cases assumes that role.
Thanks for the kind words and thanks for sharing this info, very interesting.
So the Panasonic Lumix G 8mm f/3.5 is the only on you have found to work so far that is not officially supported by DJI?
When you say balancing rings.... I'm aware of the one that comes with the stock DJI 15mm lens, but are you able to get balancing rings of various sizes to cater for different lenses (with different filter thread sizes)? I've had a look online but no luck.
And yes, a second your point about always using a UV filter, simply to protect your lens glass more than anything.

To balance the lens I simply used a good quality UV filter which had a heavy metal frame. I took the gimbal with lens attached to a camera shop and it was a matter of trial and error using various filters and combination of filters with step up rings to a point where the lens was balanced.

Reactions: Chnjab
Phil did you get any motor rumble issues with the 45 after its calibrated. When I do a spin of the gimbal I get a motor grinding noise when its facing backwards, but it doesn`t do it when calibrating.

Just to add also the Samyang 7.5mm works flawlesly on the X5. Not that fisheye is going to be of use as we generally try to get away from that, but it works.

Very good post and I personally don't feel the depth of choices we have already been afforded with the X5 especially the 45mm has been recognized as the absolute game changer it really is. What I think is lost on many is commercially this is an industry in its infancy and with the exponential increase in available function afforded by the X5 should be recognized as a major step. I agree that there is a long way to go but the rate of development already experienced definitely bodes well for where this will all be in as little as 2 or 3 years. DJI is leading right now however eventually there will be multiple big players and the rate of development and the technology that becomes available will make where we are now look like the stone age.
Couldn't agree more!
And in reply to your previous post... B&H sound great and I've heard a lot of good about them... I just wish they have B&H in the UK!

Phil did you get any motor rumble issues with the 45 after its calibrated. When I do a spin of the gimbal I get a motor grinding noise when its facing backwards, but it doesn`t do it when calibrating.

Just to add also the Samyang 7.5mm works flawlesly on the X5. Not that fisheye is going to be of use as we generally try to get away from that, but it works.
Good to know about the Samyang 7.5mm on the X5. It may still have it's purpose as a fish eye every now and again.

I was getting rumble when the gimbal was in certain positions but after I balanced it, that stopped the rumble and worked perfectly.

Very interesting, do you have a published list of the lenses that work on the Inspire Pro that you have tested for us to see?
I took it out for a spin over the weekend and loved it! I take your point about it being more challanging to cam-op with a tighter FOV but that's why you only use the best guys for the job ;)
Here's a quick video i put together from our tests:

This is rad! Thanks for posting. Definitely going to pick one up now.

Reactions: Phil-RCGeeks

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RomanChrz