Welcome Matrice Pilots!
Join our free DJI Matrice community today!

Not legal for use in the USA?

Reaction score
Is it just me that finds it interesting that DJI's latest multirotor platform when decked out with all the bells and whistles will not be legal to fly in the US upon product launch?
It would appear the video downlink by way of the SRW-60G which is required if you want to use the new Ronin MX is not licenced for use in North America!

Good one DJI - Launch a potentially ground breaking product and then make it illegal in probably the country where you have your biggest market.

This company never ceases to amaze me at their brilliance in engineering and yet total ineptitude in complying with regional laws regarding rf emissions and frequency bands. You would think they would know after the Inspire fiasco.

Reactions: Bryan Conover
Your wording is confusing editor. DJI didn't make it illegal. Innovation may push the FCC to open whatever channel/frequency is restricted at this time. I seriously doubt they went in this direction without knowing what they were doing. Perhaps I'm wrong, it's happened before.

Reactions: Kilrah
Is it just me that finds it interesting that DJI's latest multirotor platform when decked out with all the bells and whistles will not be legal to fly in the US upon product launch?
It would appear the video downlink by way of the SRW-60G which is required if you want to use the new Ronin MX is not licenced for use in North America!

Good one DJI - Launch a potentially ground breaking product and then make it illegal in probably the country where you have your biggest market.

This company never ceases to amaze me at their brilliance in engineering and yet total ineptitude in complying with regional laws regarding rf emissions and frequency bands. You would think they would know after the Inspire fiasco.
It's not just you, I noticed it as soon as I saw the website...

Reactions: eldorado
Your wording is confusing editor. DJI didn't make it illegal. Innovation may push the FCC to open whatever channel/frequency is restricted at this time. I seriously doubt they went in this direction without knowing what they were doing. Perhaps I'm wrong, it's happened before.
Nope - definitely illegal (in the US) to use the system airborne.

I have heard directly from DJI that they have to issue a disclaimer with the product because the low powered control link they are using between the MX and the M600 is only licensed for ground use in the US.
Some numpty in DJI thought it was a good idea to utilise this link on an aircraft when it wasn't legal to do so.

Nope - definitely illegal (in the US) to use the system airborne.

I have heard from DJI that they have to issue a disclaimer with the product because the low powered control link they are using between the MX and the M600 is only licensed for ground use in the US.
Some numpty in DJI thought it was a good idea to utilise this link on an aircraft when it wasn't legal to do so.
I really don't know enough about radio frequencies and NFC/Bluetooth but, it would seem like they could find a way to communicate with some sort of NFC technology that would have fairly universal acceptance.

Do we have any info on frequency ?

It's odd it's not legal for airborne specifically
Nope - I've got no details on frequency/band EIRP (which I'm told is very low).
I think the problem comes from the fact that although a transmitter can be very low power on the deck, once you hoist it skyward and get clear of all things nasty, that very low EIRP can actually go quite a long way...... A lot further than it was designed to do. That's what the FCC has issue with.
The same would be true for the UK or anywhere of course but maybe OFCOM/Europe spectrum table is not such an issue or nudged up against something that could cause issues.
Radio mics were all changed recently for the UK/Europe and a bit or a reshuffle was had. Perhaps it's time the USA had something similar. Problem is.....the FCC only move at glaicial speed.

Nope - I've got no details on frequency/band EIRP (which I'm told is very low).
I think the problem comes from the fact that although a transmitter can be very low power, once you hoist it skyward and get clear of all things nasty, that very low EIRP can actually go quite a long way...... A lot further than it was designed to do. That's what the FCC has issue with.
The same would be true for the UK or anywhere of course but maybe OFCOM/Europe spectrum table is not such an issue or nudged up against something that could cause issues.
Radio mics were all changed recently for the UK/Europe and a bit or a reshuffle was had. Perhaps it's time the USA had something similar. Problem is.....the FCC only move and glaicial speed.

Meh just fly it and sod the regulations on this, it's a tiny compliance thing in reality.

Radio link, what radio link ;)

Meh just fly it and sod the regulations on this, it's a tiny compliance thing in reality.

Radio link, what radio link ;)

What radio link your honour?
I had no idea it would interfere with that poor man's pacemaker across the Channel.
I thought it was all connected by witchcraft!

What radio link your honour?
I had no idea it would interfere with that poor man's pacemaker across the Channel.
I thought it was all connected by witchcraft!

Where do you draw the line, modded antennas, speeding, beyond LOS.

All these things are against the rules or laws one way or another you just have to decide the likely outcome.

One way or another we bend the law every day, you just have to decide what the likely outcome is when you do it.

Risk vs reward.

Does seem to have been a ball drop this though, but possibly no choice TBH.

Where do you draw the line, modded antennas, speeding, beyond LOS.

All these things are against the rules or laws one way or another you just have to decide the likely outcome.

You aren't required to break any of the rules or regulations in order to fly your aircraft, you choose to. This is different, being that you cannot operate it at all without crossing the line. Big deal for commercial operators who are bound to a higher standard (and the risk of insurance rejection if found to be using an aircraft that is not legal to operate).

Reactions: Mark Davis AFMG
You aren't required to break any of the rules or regulations in order to fly your aircraft, you choose to. This is different, being that you cannot operate it at all without crossing the line. Big deal for commercial operators who are bound to a higher standard (and the risk of insurance rejection if found to be using an aircraft that is not legal to operate).
You make an interesting point.
Most people will probably choose to ignore the FCC violation and fly anyway.
For commercial operators, the insurance companies of course......will not!

Reactions: John Locke
If they dont bend the fcc will get broken/trampled
DJI is still in the process of breaking the faa for not adapting

Last edited:
If they dont bend the fcc will get broken/trampled
DJI is still in the process of breaking the faa for not adapting
What?....
So, is the likes of the FAA,CAA. EASA amd ICAO supposed to 'break' and agree to what some company in China tells them to do?
Funny as it may seem, I think aviation safety will take precedence over a Chinese Drone manufacturer throwing its toys out of its pram.

I see DJI has added a red note to the mx gimbal purchase page

"(notice:SRW-60G is not permitted for use on aerial platforms in North America)"

So much for sales to all the filmakers in US who would I assume be the major marker for this item.

The band is 60gHz and very low power. It only has to transmit over about a foot. I am sure that DJI will sort it out with the FCC. For those of you that are not in NA you have no issues. For those of you that are in NA the decision to use or not is yours. For those that use the X mount you will have no issues.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RomanChrz