Welcome Matrice Pilots!
Join our free DJI Matrice community today!

Matrice 100 yawing (spinning) in wind during forward flight.

Reaction score
Just flying a DJI Matrice 100 and using Maps Made Easy - Map Pilot app.

Has anyone noticed yawing of the entire craft during forward flight, so much so the craft spins, sometimes just a half spin, sometimes more to one side and then corrects itself. Seems to happen in stronger winds.

The craft maintains forward flight on flight plan the whole time and does not go off course, but spins (we presume as wind hits the craft maybe?).

The resulting flight plan and images shown below. Is this something to do with the MME app or DJI app or the hardware / firmware on the UAV. The thing is we have never seen it happen during manual DJI GO app flights.

Attachments

• yaw spinning M100-1.JPG
    yaw spinning M100-1.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 18
  • yaw spinning M100-2.JPG
    yaw spinning M100-2.JPG
    164.6 KB · Views: 19
I have seen some funny flights with an additional sensor that is throwing off the imu due to the way it is hooked up. Did you calibrate your compass prior to the flight?

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

yes calibrate compass prior to flight. Also completed IMU calibration etc. Does seem to be related to wind we think. We are continuing to investigate...

I have experienced that as well several times in the past few days. I assumed something wasnt balanced so I reworked everything and it still happens. I am running dual batteries, X5 mounting plate and a Z3 camera. There have been a few occasions where even the camera spins or the aircraft spins around the camera because I can see the legs spinning around.

I realize the Matrice isn't very aerodynamic but that is pretty scary when it happens.

I think we have concluded it only is in strong winds during mapping flights. We think at least still trying to get a trend of it happening. Typical winds around 30+km/hr

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For the later where the craft spins around on hover found was we kept forgetting the gimbal settings for free, fpv types and flying via screen thinking your turning camera but forget the camera will stay still and you end up spinning the craft instead.

Any ideas on how to judge / work out the weight distribution of the craft to get it right in terms of centre of gravity?

This have been pretty windy so I am thinking the same. It has also happened when I am climbing altitude and pushing forward full throttle. Today with the wind my matrice was crusing at 50+mph but coming home it was struggling and could only do about 20mph so wind was definitely a factor today.

I modified my Matrice today so both batteries are flat on the main deck instead of stacked. I had to drill a few holes in the rail but it seems to work well. My upper rails are longer than the stock rails, they came with the X5 mounting plate kit. I hoped to put guidance on it but at this point I think I will pass.

I am not sure the best way to balance it, I just gauged it by hand for whatever that is worth.

I have mapped several flights using DJI Go. I also have a camera on my Matrice 100. When I replay the flight path it goes to each way point as programmed. I have noticed as it hits a way point it immediately moves to the next waypoint without waiting for the Matrice to spin and point in the direction of flight, but does spin while in flight to eventually point in the direction of flight. Once it is pointing in the direction of flight it no longer spins. But that behavior wasn't expected. So if someone were to program waypoints very close together I could imagine the aircraft moving from waypoint to waypoint quickly and the aircraft would begin spinning to point in the direction of flight and then hit the next point before having actually spun far enough to point in the direction of flight. Having explained that, are your waypoints very close together? The result of this would be it appears to always be spinning, or trying to catch up to the direction of flight? If so, try creating a flight path where the waypoints are 100's of feet apart. This will give the Matrice time to spin and eventually point in the direction of flight and confirm your Matrice is behaving normally.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RomanChrz