Welcome Matrice Pilots!
Join our free DJI Matrice community today!

M300 FPV

Reaction score
Ilearned that the M300 has got an fpv cam on its own (apart of payload cam).

What I also learned is the the camera cannot be tilted downwards making it half usable for orientation.
Very often a quick tilt down helps to make sure where you actually are above ground. this counts for both hobby and professional missions. When checking out objects for inspection I don't want to "misuse" the H20 camera to check where I am above ground. It distracts the inspection, disrupts smart functions and workflow. I also cannot see how close I get to the object ahead (visally) when pointing the H20 downwards. Why would Dji reduce costs by a few dolars when selling a professional tool like this? This makes the workflow a lot more cumbersome. Any comments?

My guess would be three reasons. (there are probably more)
1. Same as the M210 (why change the system)
2. Space issue? A 10 pound box will only hold 10 pounds.
3. They know you’ll find a workaround?

Ilearned that the M300 has got an fpv cam on its own (apart of payload cam).

What I also learned is the the camera cannot be tilted downwards making it half usable for orientation.
Very often a quick tilt down helps to make sure where you actually are above ground. this counts for both hobby and professional missions. When checking out objects for inspection I don't want to "misuse" the H20 camera to check where I am above ground. It distracts the inspection, disrupts smart functions and workflow. I also cannot see how close I get to the object ahead (visally) when pointing the H20 downwards. Why would Dji reduce costs by a few dolars when selling a professional tool like this? This makes the workflow a lot more cumbersome. Any comments?

Correct me if I'm right, but your concern is having a fix mounted FPV camera that you cannot control or tilt down for monitoring your surroundings and standoff?

I'm just curious, if this wasn't a fixed FPV camera, what exactly would you prefer? Perhaps giving up a payload port for a standard visual camera that you have 360 gimbal control on?

A primary benefit of having this type of FPV system is that it's fully independent from your payloads. Even if your camera payloads are not functioning properly, you can still maintain situational awareness with your extra wide FOV 960p FPV cam. Nonetheless, we've been very impressed by the robustness of the M300's obstacle sensing system coupled with the new primary flight display (PFD). Quick access between your FPV cam and payload camera views with the radar bars for 360 obstacle sensing and the navigation display showing your horizontal obstacles on the PFD give you the situational awareness you need. Using an independent gimbaled camera to be constantly having to check your surroundings is unnecessary, and tedious.

Curious to hear your additional thoughts...

@Advexure,
Almost.. The P4, Mavic, all got FPV cameras that you can tilt down. I'm missing this simple payload independent option. I agree, -as you wrote the advantage is to have a fall-back/emergency solution for awareness.
However, for orientation it is just simply not enough to have a fixed fpv cam looking forward. We need to hover exactly on top of a certain spot and then check the surrounding and objects with the payload cam. As it seems I've got to use the payload even for tasks that actually the pilot should be doing.
I hope that there is at least a button programmable for the payload camera to quickly tilt it straight down and with a second button press, tilt it back where you where before? Otherwise it becomes really tedious..
Can I see on the payload cam when I reached vertical position at least?
The obstacle avoidance is great but:
1. I never trust it or use it when it is below-5 Celsius.- didn't test the m300 yet however.
2. Obstacle avoidance doesn't tell me visually if I'm above a certain object (like a land mark, road side, cable trench, etc..)
Using an independent gimbaled camera to be constantly having to check your surroundings is unnecessary, and tedious.
I agree on that it is tedious, but it seems the only way to check where you are above ground as the m300's own fpv camera cannot do the job.
Would be interesting to get quotes of pilots on how many are checking downwards to see where they are. I assume a majority does so.- In other words, the first item on the wish list for a V2 ;-)
..and there is more.. I will open a seperate thread for antennas.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LangeJens