Welcome Matrice Pilots!
Join our free DJI Matrice community today!

Listening in on ATC

Reaction score
I want to start listening in on Air Traffic in my area. I fly a good amount within 5 miles of a class E airport that is not towered. In certain circumstances I would really like to listen in for general aviation activity in my are. I know how to look up what the frequency I need to tune to. my question is what type of handheld unit does anyone recommend? I only need a receiver I think if I just want to listen. Brand and model or any links to anything would be appreciated, thanks.

Reactions: Donnie Frank
I want to start listening in on Air Traffic in my area. I fly a good amount within 5 miles of a class E airport that is not towered. In certain circumstances I would really like to listen in for general aviation activity in my are. I know how to look up what the frequency I need to tune to. my question is what type of handheld unit does anyone recommend? I only need a receiver I think if I just want to listen. Brand and model or any links to anything would be appreciated, thanks.

Couple of issues: since it’s a Non towered area, some GA Pilots don’t make radio calls. I’m a PP and always make position calls/or when within 10 miles of a runway, but, several don’t. You can use an SP-400 handheld VHF radio (Sporty’s Pilot shop). I usually carry mine as a back up, but again, some pilots don’t use their radios when flying around Non towered fields. You might want just want to Listen to air traffic control on your cellphone (LiveATC) Free or multi band radio to just listen if you are not interested in communicating with ga pilots. A regular VHF is close to $300.00.

Reactions: skydancz
I have my trusty old Grundig Satellit 750 I’ve had for many years. It’s a great field radio that receives AM/FM/Shortwave/Aviation bands. Out remote I’ll tune the local CTAF or 121.5 and monitor. Closer in I’ll tune the appropriate approach, tower, whatever. Even on the built-in antenna it can pickup RHC (Radio Havana Cuba) and I’ve even picked up New Zealand (RNZ Pacific). VHF is mainly line of sight so ground stations don’t pick up much, but you can usually hear aircraft within 5 miles or so. I’m about 13 miles from DFW Airport and I can listen to the different Tower, Approach and Departures.

Live ATC won't help at a Class E airport. Most (but not all) air traffic will be announcing position and intentions on the airport's CTAF (Common Traffic Advisory Frequency). Radio communication is advised, but not required. Though rare, some airplanes at a Class E airports do not have radios. There is no communication with ATC unless the aircraft is getting VFR traffic advisories or is making an instrument approach to the airport. Even then, the pilot will switch to the CTAF when close.

$50 Battery powered receiver only (Amazon, some crappy reviews) Amazon.com: Airband Radio Receiver Portable Radio FM/MW/SW/AIR/CB/VHF Band Receiver Wide Frequency LCD Display with Alarm, Earphones, Extend Antenna (Black): Home Audio & Theater

$300 VHF Transceiver Sporty's SP-400 Handheld NAV/COM Aviation Radio

There is a newer version of the Gundig available on Amazon, it has aviation frequencies also, and it's a lot less expensive.
Amazon.com: Eton Executive Satellite AM / FM / Aircraft / SSB / Shortwave Radio with RDS, NGWSATEXEC: Electronics

Oh yeah, there’s lots of newer, cheaper radios......I’ve had the 750 for, 10 years or more....it’s been a great field radio, camping radio, garage radio, nightstand listening to shortwave radio.......I set it on the roof of the Jeep when I’m out flying.

Thanks everyone, ya liveATC.net won't work since it only feeds a few airports in my state. Its very good to know that not everyone using that airport will be communicating on the radio since there is no tower. I guess I was under the assumption that some other tower was handling the air traffic for this class E. All the links are good recommendations. Im also always very aware of GA traffic in the area since there seems to be a certain helicopter tour that flies over a local lake often and very low. Thanks again

Any analog only police scanner should be able to handle air-band. I use a Uniden BC125AT, with pre-programmed frequencies for my local airports. It also can do a broad scan of the general chunk of the air band.
There's other options from Uniden and Whistler. New you have a few options under $130, used you can probably find them well under $100.

Reactions: skydancz
I would buy a transceiver. FAA may allow coms some day and in the event of a fly away you can announce the emergency.

Save your money. Buy a nice simple transceiver from an online pilot shop. I think a $28 radio is probably not the way to go.

This is what I use:

It runs on AA's. Rechargeable units go bad quickly especially if you abuse the batteries by not using them and not maintaining them. I learned the expensive way. Works great and since you're not transmitting the batteries last. Throw in a fresh set when needed......

Transmit in an emergency...

The band coverage is 65-108mhz and 136-174 so I don't think it covers airport bands which was my point kinda. That is what I am trying to find out, IDC about much else other than will it tune into those bands. I am not super proficient with radios so it may sound like im answering my own question but im not sure. Thank You

This is the third year I have been using this handheld radio and I like it very much:

Yaesu FTA-450L Airband VHF Comm

It uses a lithium rechargeable battery that has very low self-discharge so it can sit on the shelf for a long time and seldom needs a charge, but also comes with a tray for AA alkalines you can switch out if needed. I think I paid $219 for it. It is a transceiver.

What I did is buy a headset adapter to 3.5mm jack and I hook up a small lithium battery powered bluetooth transmitter to that. So I can literally clip the radio/bluetooth transmitter on my hip and walk anywhere while having an AirPod or earbud in one ear to listen in on air comms, meanwhile listening for approaching aircraft or anything else. I have tried having the radio on over its own speaker but if you turn it up enough so that you can hear talking on it, the static interferes with hearing other things nearby.

Last month I started a new construction progress project about 1500 ft due north of a small non-towered airport where they have skydiving services. I phoned the airport manager prior and got communications established with him. For all upcoming flights I offered to leave a voice mail prior to launching and an estimate of time in the air and he accepted. Several ultralights are based there so he said he will be able to give them heads up to my ops and altitude.

The first drone flight I dialed up the CTAF/UNICOM to 122.8 and put in one AirPod. In the middle of my very first flight I heard a pilot announce take-off, and it was definitely a twin otter when it ran up! A little later he announced his altitude and jumpers in the air and one thing I remember he said was please other aircraft do not fly over the center of the runway. Low and behold, there they were, 9 jumpers floating down. Because of the using the radio it was great to know what was going on the whole time and be able to visually verify safe distances between drone and aircraft and jumpers and that's how our system is supposed to work.

This is the third year I have been using this handheld radio and I like it very much:

Yaesu FTA-450L Airband VHF Comm

It uses a lithium rechargeable battery that has very low self-discharge so it can sit on the shelf for a long time and seldom needs a charge, but also comes with a tray for AA alkalines you can switch out if needed. I think I paid $219 for it. It is a transceiver.

What I did is buy a headset adapter to 3.5mm jack and I hook up a small lithium battery powered bluetooth transmitter to that. So I can literally clip the radio/bluetooth transmitter on my hip and walk anywhere while having an AirPod or earbud in one ear to listen in on air comms, meanwhile listening for approaching aircraft or anything else. I have tried having the radio on over its own speaker but if you turn it up enough so that you can hear talking on it, the static interferes with hearing other things nearby.

Last month I started a new construction progress project about 1500 ft due north of a small non-towered airport where they have skydiving services. I phoned the airport manager prior and got communications established with him. For all upcoming flights I offered to leave a voice mail prior to launching and an estimate of time in the air and he accepted. Several ultralights are based there so he said he will be able to give them heads up to my ops and altitude.

The first drone flight I dialed up the CTAF/UNICOM to 122.8 and put in one AirPod. In the middle of my very first flight I heard a pilot announce take-off, and it was definitely a twin otter when it ran up! A little later he announced his altitude and jumpers in the air and one thing I remember he said was please other aircraft do not fly over the center of the runway. Low and behold, there they were, 9 jumpers floating down. Because of the using the radio it was great to know what was going on the whole time and be able to visually verify safe distances between drone and aircraft and jumpers and that's how our system is supposed to work.
I just got myself this exact radio intending to use it just as you described. Thanks for the information, tips and experiences using it. Part 107 drives the message home of knowing what is going on around you by listening in on a radio so I figured this was the way to go.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LangeJens