Welcome Matrice Pilots!
Join our free DJI Matrice community today!

Lens hood and/or ND filter on Zuiko 12mm ?

Reaction score
Hello,
is it possible to use the LH-48 lens hood together with the Zuiko 12mm on the X5 or is it out of balance? What's about additional ND filter with this combo ? Which ND filter do you use with the Zuiko 12mm ?

I bought B+W 46mm MRC NANO 010M filter. I attached it but I think it is not balanced.
If I fly this, would it be harmful to the gimbal?

uc2HtpD.jpg

Last edited:
I bought B+W 46mm MRC NANO 010M filter. I attached it but I think it is not balanced.
If I fly this, would it be harmful to the gimbal?

I fly it all the time, it is very close to balanced. It doesn't fall forward very fast so it is close. If you want perfection get some VHB tape and a dime and place it on the back of the camera housing in line with the roll axis motor.

Reactions: fly8086
I fly it all the time, it is very close to balanced. It doesn't fall forward very fast so it is close. If you want perfection get some VHB tape and a dime and place it on the back of the camera housing in line with the roll axis motor.

Yes, indeed mine doesn't fall fast forward. I will try to attach some balance sticker back of the camera.

I use the Hoya filter kit and each filter seems to balance very well. With the NDs on there the camera sits just about perfectly level, so I assume this means it is balanced properly. No abnormal gimbal characteristics or noises

Reactions: RaptorMan
I use the Hoya filter kit and each filter seems to balance very well. With the NDs on there the camera sits just about perfectly level, so I assume this means it is balanced properly. No abnormal gimbal characteristics or noises

I also ordered the Hoya filters and suspect that the B+W filter, with brass ring, is heavier than the Hoya with aluminum ring.

I hope to get a chance to play with this over the next few days..

Brian

I just received my I1 along with some lenses and filters and I can confirm that all the 46mm Hoya ND filters from ND2 through ND8 weigh 11g each. The four stop 46mm filter I got from Tiffen weighs 13g. So, as I expected, the filters with Aluminum ring will weigh less than ones with brass. The step up ring I ordered so the 45mm lens with 37mm filter can use the 46mm filters I have weighs 5g. So, to add one of these filters to the 45mm lens would require the step up ring and one of the ND filters for a total adder of 16g.

The 25mm lens came with a lens hood as did the 15mm OEM lens, but the 12mm and 45mm lenses did not. I'll look to see how they balance without a hood then look to see if a hood is possible. Using a hood is desirable as it helps improve contrast when the sun is getting into the lens -- masking that out with a hood helps to improve contrast.

Brian

Reactions: FlyHighUSA
I try to avoid using hoods if I can on aerial camera platforms as they act as a sail, especially in high winds or when the aircraft is moving fast, putting the gimbal motors under extra strain and potentially causing jello from resulting vibrations.

I try to avoid using hoods if I can on aerial camera platforms as they act as a sail, especially in high winds or when the aircraft is moving fast, putting the gimbal motors under extra strain and potentially causing jello from resulting vibrations.

I can see how a large hood could cause some problems in high winds or when travelling at higher speeds, but when conditions permit hoods are good at limiting lens flare and increase contrast. If the conditions are favorable I'd use them if not don't.

Brian

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RomanChrz