Welcome Matrice Pilots!
Join our free DJI Matrice community today!

Inspire RAW is shipping

I see that a spare ssd is 1500.00. So way more than current ssd storage market prices. I think I'll pass as I'm sure DJI FW will be an issue if history is any indication.

I don't think the X5 will ever get to that level of quality... The X5R, maybe, but not at that price. I can get 1.5 Micro Cinema cameras for the price of one X5R SSD...

Yeah, that's sweet. Then you can add another 1-2K for a gimbal, and not be able to control the camera in flight at all. Sounds like a fantastic option for the Inspire.

Yeah, that's sweet. Then you can add another 1-2K for a gimbal, and not be able to control the camera in flight at all. Sounds like a fantastic option for the Inspire.
Who cares if you can't change settings? I mean yeah it's nice to have but if you know what you're doing you should be able to set it up and get it figured on the ground.... That is what the pros do after all.
And sure, you need another $1000 for a gimbal, putting the entire unit at about 2k, same price as base level X5...
I am certain such a thing will not be developed for the Inspire, but for the Matrice... A 'developer' oriented quad... Who knows.

Has anyone actually received an inspire RAW yet? I thought they were shipping 5 days ago now?

I was looking into raw workflow and everything I read said that ProRes is an intermediate codec and is not a deliverable.... Can ProRes 422HQ be a deliverable format with good results for anything less than cine, it seems to me that it can?

If we are not editing and delivering in RAW are we really making any headway using this equipment? I like the idea of more color bit depth for sure but artifacting, noisy blacks, fast moving detail looking mushy is mostly due to camera compression right and "in theory" wont be seen on the RAW camera?

Is the workflow presented in the DJI Cinelite Manual accurate?

Reactions: Raphael Dahan
I was looking into raw workflow and everything I read said that ProRes is an intermediate codec and is not a deliverable.... Can ProRes 422HQ be a deliverable format with good results for anything less than cine, it seems to me that it can?

If we are not editing and delivering in RAW are we really making any headway using this equipment? I like the idea of more color bit depth for sure but artifacting, noisy blacks, fast moving detail looking mushy is mostly due to camera compression right and "in theory" wont be seen on the RAW camera?

Is the workflow presented in the DJI Cinelite Manual accurate?
Depends on what you're doing. If you are making a short film then no, I would say ProRes is not an appropriate final capture format. For documentary, most TV and corporate video, ProRes is just fine. We shoot and edit 90% of our TV show (doc series) in ProRes, the rest random internal codecs from cams like the X5, GH4, FS7 etc, but we aim to avoid that as much as possible.
Ultimately Cinema DNG files were built to act like regular DNGs, that is preserve as much information as possible in each individual frame. At 220 mbps on ProRes, it's a fraction of the bitrate, but still quite a bit of information to deal with - I would rather be shooting on a Canon C100 at 220 mbps than a DJI X5R at 1.7 gbps - the image will be better on the Canon hands down.
People are getting all worked up about 'raw' on here the same way they were about 4k, to me they are meaningless buzzwords in the hands of DJI, as they seem to think that throwing in those specs will make the camera somehow better. I want to be impressed by the image a camera produces... That's it, I could care less if its 4k, 'raw', prores or whatever. Show me what the camera can do.

Last edited:
Depends on what you're doing. If you are making a short film then no, I would say ProRes is not an appropriate final capture format. For documentary, most TV and corporate video, ProRes is just fine. We shoot and edit 90% of our TV show (doc series) in ProRes, the rest random internal codecs from cams like the X5, GH4, 5D etc, but we aim to avoid that as much as possible.
Ultimately Cinema DNG files were built to act like regular DNGs, that is preserve as much information as possible in each individual frame. At 220 mbps on ProRes, it's a fraction of the bitrate, but still quite a bit of information to deal with, but I would rather be shooting on a Canon C100 at 220 mbps than a DJI X5R at 1.7 gbps - the image will be better on the Canon hands down.
People are getting all worked up about 'raw' on here the same way they were about 4k, to me they are meaningless buzzwords. I want to be impressed by the image a camera produces... That's it, I could care less if its 4k, 'raw', prores or whatever. Show me what the camera can do.
Aha....that's because Canon know how to make cameras and DJI use potatoes with lenses on. :p
Personally I do not like ProRes even as an intermediate - files are huge. I am much preferring XAVC-L these dsys as a professional codec.

Reactions: ianwood and gruvpix
Aha....that's because Canon know how to make cameras and DJI use potatoes with lenses on. :p
Personally I do not like ProRes even as an intermediate - files are huge. I am much preferring XAVC-L these dsys as a professional codec.
I feel that, the best part about ProRes for us is the speed of editing and scrubbing in Avid. We shot a bunch of stuff in XAVC-L on an FS7 to experiment for one shoot, the files were smaller but such a PITA to edit we eventually just transcoded to ProRes. Storage = $, but time = $$$, and when you are cutting half hour episodes with hundreds of clips, it makes a big difference.

I feel that, the best part about ProRes for us is the speed of editing and scrubbing in Avid. We shot a bunch of stuff in XAVC-L on an FS7 to experiment for one shoot, the files were smaller but such a PITA to edit we eventually just transcoded to ProRes. Storage = $, but time = $$$ (in our experience)
That's very true but some NLE's like Edius will play nicely with it. It's such a great workflow that way.
I remember the days when AVCHD wouldn't scrub without stuttering all over the place and now even freebie toy editing programs will play it out straight from the timeline. :)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rdavis103