Welcome Matrice Pilots!
Join our free DJI Matrice community today!

Inspire 1 x5 insurance uk 2016

Reaction score
Thinking of getting my credentials in 2016, what sort of money am I looking at to insure an inspire 1 x3?
How would that price change for an X5?

Any tips on who to go with?

Thanks

Thinking of getting my credentials in 2016, what sort of money am I looking at to insure an inspire 1 x3?
How would that price change for an X5?

Any tips on who to go with?

Thanks
Depending on how much cover you want (£2m v £5m of liability) and whether you want your aircraft covered in the event of an accident you will be looking for anything between £630 - £1,200 per year.
Your deductible (excess) will be quite high in the first year for hull (aircraft) cover and likely to be in the region of £500 (maybe more depending on flight experience). Liability excess should be zero.

Thanks ed, any tips on who to go with?
is there one in particular who come out well?

Thanks ed, any tips on who to go with?
is there one in particular who come out well?
I would say ask that question when you are ready and you have your ground school theory qualification under your belt.
The reason I say that is there are more and more UAV Insurers coming into the playing field now whereas a year or more ago there were only a handful (Coverdrone, DroneProtect etc). Now that all policies have to be EC 785/2004 compliant it is less of a minefield in choosing cover.
I would say wait a while ( certainly until the New Year) and you will have a good choice to look at.

I'm also looking for commercial insurance for my Inspire and as The Editor says there does seem to be quite a few new insurance companies sprouting up which will hopefully, see a fall in the current premiums being asked. What still surprises me is that I can insure a microlight aircraft for roughly the same price as I am being quoted for the Inspire insurance. The range of quotes is quite staggering too: £675 - £1275 so far for an Inspire 1 Pro, £5M Public Liability, Apple iPad Air 2 control tablet and no previous commercial drone experience. I've got a couple of months yet before I intend starting a commercial operation so I'm hoping that the prices will fall with the increase in competition.

Reactions: Mad_angler1
I'm also looking for commercial insurance for my Inspire and as The Editor says there does seem to be quite a few new insurance companies sprouting up which will hopefully, see a fall in the current premiums being asked. What still surprises me is that I can insure a microlight aircraft for roughly the same price as I am being quoted for the Inspire insurance. The range of quotes is quite staggering too: £675 - £1275 so far for an Inspire 1 Pro, £5M Public Liability, Apple iPad Air 2 control tablet and no previous commercial drone experience. I've got a couple of months yet before I intend starting a commercial operation so I'm hoping that the prices will fall with the increase in competition.

That's quite a premium for the folks who want to get qualified and do part time work just to fund the hobby, I my self have a solid career but want to go fully licensed and legal as am getting requests for small stuff all the time, not interested in doing it full time but want to do a little and enjoy it but it seems to whole system it geared towards full time professional AP.

I went through Cover Drone this year (was with Raven Hall laser year but chancged because of a huge price increase for no apparent reason). I'm paying around £950 for my Inspire 1 Pro with X5. This includes £5m PLI and also insurance of other business related items (e.g. laptop, hard drives etc.). They've also recently added £50,000 Professional Indemnity insurance, free of charge!
Top notch customer service as well which goes a long way.

Let me know if you're looking to buy an Inspire Pro or X5, we've got plenty in stock and would be more than happy to sort you out :)

From the UK POV it does seem kinda expensive and more and more people are doing it all the time.
I went through Cover Drone this year (was with Raven Hall laser year but chancged because of a huge price increase for no apparent reason). I'm paying around £950 for my Inspire 1 Pro with X5. This includes £5m PLI and also insurance of other business related items (e.g. laptop, hard drives etc.). They've also recently added £50,000 Professional Indemnity insurance, free of charge!
Top notch customer service as well which goes a long way.

Let me know if you're looking to buy an Inspire Pro or X5, we've got plenty in stock and would be more than happy to sort you out :)

Phil, have you built up some kind of no claims bonus though that would affect that cost vs someone whose just going into it for the first time?
Insurance premiums are generally lower if you have 'good form'.

Can you pay monthly?
Are there cheaper options like you pay for your own equipment if you crash, but other people are covered?

That's quite a premium for the folks who want to get qualified and do part time work just to fund the hobby, I my self have a solid career but want to go fully licensed and legal as am getting requests for small stuff all the time, not interested in doing it full time but want to do a little and enjoy it but it seems to whole system it geared towards full time professional AP.
At the moment unfortunately there is no 'Part Time' cover it is either all or nothing.
There maybe an opportunity for some Insurers to offer lowered premiums for restricted flight hours (the way some car Insurers will lower the cost if you only do low mileage per year)
The problem of course is, how would they prove you are limiting your flight hours? Your logbook could easily 'miss' some flights every so often thus keeping your cover artificially low but subjecting the Insurers to the same level of risk.
Using DJI's flight logs is useless because its broken half the time.
It's a tough one but obviously ANY job taken on commercially runs the risk of a liability claim so that's what the underwriters are looking at.

From the UK POV it does seem kinda expensive and more and more people are doing it all the time.

Phil, have you built up some kind of no claims bonus though that would affect that cost vs someone whose just going into it for the first time?
Insurance premiums are generally lower if you have 'good form'.

Can you pay monthly?
Are there cheaper options like you pay for your own equipment if you crash, but other people are covered?
When i was first scouting around for drone insurance in 2014, there were no 'no claims bonus' schemes but when i looked around last year (September) Cover Drone were offering it which was a big attraction for me.

And yes you can pay monthly. With cover drone it comes to the exact same amount whether you pay it in monthly installments or a a lump sum for the year.

When i was first scouting around for drone insurance in 2014, there were no 'no claims bonus' schemes but when i looked around last year (September) Cover Drone were offering it which was a big attraction for me.

And yes you can pay monthly. With cover drone it comes to the exact same amount whether you pay it in monthly installments or a a lump sum for the year.

Thanks.

At the moment unfortunately there is no 'Part Time' cover it is either all or nothing.
There maybe an opportunity for some Insurers to offer lowered premiums for restricted flight hours (the way some car Insurers will lower the cost if you only do low mileage per year)
The problem of course is, how would they prove you are limiting your flight hours? Your logbook could easily 'miss' some flights every so often thus keeping your cover artificially low but subjecting the Insurers to the same level of risk.
Using DJI's flight logs is useless because its broken half the time.
It's a tough one but obviously ANY job taken on commercially runs the risk of a liability claim so that's what the underwriters are looking at.

Yea I suspect a lot of folks would suddenly become part time lol

It's just sad that the folks who what to be fully legal and legit but on a part time basis get penalised but it is what it is, hopefully prices will drop a little but TBH getting PL for this kind of thing is never going to be much below £500 IMO. Iv had PL for years with a few business I have had and the most part it was just something you had to have but you never imagine you would need it, in this industry it's slightly different and hitting some one or something could be a real possibility regardless of competently, after all it's a flying battery on steroids and things fail.

Reactions: The Editor

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctfulgham