Welcome Matrice Pilots!
Join our free DJI Matrice community today!

Help understanding current status of my exemption

Reaction score
Website
www.colegentry.io
Hey forum peeps!

So I submitted my exemption request for section 333 on 8/24/2015.

I just searched today and it looks like the request has been posted but is still pending. However I am not 100% sure on that. After its posted like it is below, I still have to wait for them to make a determination correct? It's a bit confusing for me.

http://www.regulations.gov/#!docketDetail;D=FAA-2015-3667

If the link doesn't work you can see the attachment image which is the same info.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-08-25 at 10.08.55 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-08-25 at 10.08.55 AM.png
    230.9 KB · Views: 31
Hey forum peeps!

I just searched today and it looks like the request has been posted but is still pending. However I am not 100% sure on that. After its posted like it is below, I still have to wait for them to make a determination correct? It's a bit confusing for me.

If the link doesn't work you can see the attachment image which is the same info.
Yes they will send you and email and copy of your exemptions via USPS mail when they have been granted.

There is plenty to do in the meantime to get ready. You will need to get N Numbers from the FAA for all of your aircraft. You can also start getting insurance quotes. The 333 process is getting faster but still anticipate a couple of months wait. Good luck!

There is plenty to do in the meantime to get ready. You will need to get N Numbers from the FAA for all of your aircraft. You can also start getting insurance quotes. The 333 process is getting faster but still anticipate a couple of months wait. Good luck!

N numbers? I am not familiar with that part of the process. Also who did you end up going through for insurance? I was thinking about the group linked below however I am not sure they will cover me in my application.

http://www.modelaircraft.org/membership/membership/overview.aspx

N numbers? I am not familiar with that part of the process. Also who did you end up going through for insurance? I was thinking about the group linked below however I am not sure they will cover me in my application.

http://www.modelaircraft.org/membership/membership/overview.aspx
An N number is a number you get like a registration number. They go on your UAV and you can get them here!

Insurance you should get in touch with your insurance agent and get liability that covers drone usage. I carry $1m Liability and $10k on each drone. This is a Business Liability insurance. Just make sure they accept the usage of UAV's in their policy as some have clauses that exclude aerial equipment.

Hey forum peeps!

Cole, you submitted the file on 8-24-15 yesterday, and got posted today? Hmmm, I submitted mine on 8-8-15. Mine still not posted. All I have is a tracking #. Hope I didn't get lost in the shuffle.

An N number is a number you get like a registration number. They go on your UAV and you can get them here!

Insurance you should get in touch with your insurance agent and get liability that covers drone usage. I carry $1m Liability and $10k on each drone. This is a Business Liability insurance. Just make sure they accept the usage of UAV's in their policy as some have clauses that exclude aerial equipment.

That is just the N Number reservation page if you would like to get a special N Number. To register you will still need to go you your local FSDO and get a form 8050-1 for each aircraft you are going to register.

Reactions: Cole Slaw
Cole, you submitted the file on 8-24-15 yesterday, and got posted today? Hmmm, I submitted mine on 8-8-15. Mine still not posted. All I have is a tracking #. Hope I didn't get lost in the shuffle.

I hope so too it was tough waiting this long for it to post I can't imagine going through the whole rigamarole again. :-(

That is just the N Number reservation page if you would like to get a special N Number. To register you will still need to go you your local FSDO and get a form 8050-1 for each aircraft you are going to register.
Correct. (same thing we had to do on ours) Should have mentioned that part. Sorry.

Reactions: CaptainBadge

FYI, I sent my 333 request on 8-13-15 and still have not had it reviewed/posted yet. It seems to take a while, or perhaps it's geographically dependent, but some get posted faster than others. The frustration is that there is no way to determine the reason for the delay.

FYI, I sent my 333 request on 8-13-15 and still have not had it reviewed/posted yet. It seems to take a while, or perhaps it's geographically dependent, but some get posted faster than others. The frustration is that there is no way to determine the reason for the delay.

Thanks Quad, I feel better now knowing the FAA isn't just picking on me :)

Thanks Quad, I feel better now knowing the FAA isn't just picking on me :)

I just sent an email this morning to Regulations.gov Help Desk about the status of my exemption request. This is what I got back this afternoon:

"Your petition for exemption to FAA was received on August 13, 2015, referenced by tracking number XXX-XXXX-XXXX. The DOT Docket Center has not yet moved your request to a permanent docket. Until your petition is moved to a permanent docket you will not be able to search for it using the tracking number.

The Docket Center is currently working on petitions received around the July 1/July 2 time frame. We are unable to determine when the Docket Center will create a docket for your submission.

Regulations.gov Help Desk"

So my take from this reply is that it is taking applicants about 6 weeks to move from submission to permanent docket posting. Either the OP was incredibly lucky, or he posted the wrong date for his submission. Maybe he could clarify?

Thanks, here is some of what I got as well. I think this might be a good time for the OP to play the lottery. I don't think we'll see our waivers till about Christmas.

As a reminder, Part 11.81 requires operators to submit a petition for exemption 120 days before you need the exemption to take effect. We will do our best to process your petition in this timeframe; however, factors such as petition completeness, complexity, and volume of requests may affect the length of time needed to process your petition. We appreciate your patience as we work to process your petition to the best of our ability.

We currently have over 1,000 pending petitions for exemptions under Section 333; if you'd like to stay abreast of recent grants of exemptions that FAA has issued, as well as guidance on how to submit a petition, please visit https://www.faa.gov/uas/legislative_programs/section_333/333_authorizations. Please keep in mind that the FAA has received more than 1,600 petitions to date, and our resources are focused on processing those petitions on a timely basis of 120 days or less. We will do our best to respond to your inquiry in a timely manner.
Additional information is available at (202) 267-2999.

Thank you for your reply! I am so excited to get out there and start filming LEGALLY! Hahaha
You were never filming Illegally in the first place since there is not a single law on the books regarding commercial use of drones. The current set of rules and regulations set forth by the FAA are not legally binding. They never went through congress and never became law. However, now that you have signed and accepted the terms of your 333 exemption, you ARE, in fact, legally bound to observe all those rules and regs I just mentioned, including being required to have a fixed wing pilot's license.

I'm not not bashing you for getting a 333. It will probably help your business, as most prospective clients think like you do, that some sort of legal certification (which does not exist), or an exemption is required.

I only write this because posting a comment that says you will be finally flying legally when you get your 333 is simply wrong and further misinforms the public. People who read such comments, and have not done the research, believe what they read, and end up believing that flying without a 333 is illegal, but it is not.

I'm not trying to offend. Just passing on information.

Reactions: mtnmaddman

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RomanChrz