Welcome Matrice Pilots!
Join our free DJI Matrice community today!

UK Flying in multiple countries on a UK permission ?

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

New here so please dont bite if I say something a bit newbie.

A job we have in the pipes would mean needing to fly in a few different countries, ranging from a few places around Europe, NZ to the USA and Canada etc

I have just last week sent off my Ops manual etc for approval of my permissions, so should get that back in the coming weeks and be all above board in the UK.

Is it a case of still contacting local air traffic if needed etc or will I need to try seek approval through each countries governing bodys ?

This is the first place I have come, before even google so feel free to just post up links to articles that answer this in one go.

Thanks for the advice ( hopefully )

Jacob

What he said ^^^^^^. :p

I'm afraid your nice new shiny PfCO doesn't mean anything in any other country and will not be recognised legally or otherwise.
The same as the CAA will not accept a US 107 for individuals coming to the UK wanting to fly commercially.
As stated above, your insurance will also need to be specific for the location your are flying.
You can get European cover added but of course you will also need a particular countries certification to operate as well - otherwise your insurance would not cover you since you couldn't legally work in that country.
The reason the USA is specifically excluded is usually down to how litigious the country is and the level of damages awarded if anything goes to court!

As far as logistics goes, it will actually be easier (and probably cheaper) for you to do the UK based side of things and then suggest to your client you coordinate everything in other countries and hire in pilots who are domiciled and certified for that particular country.
You can then act as a kind of DOP and tell them what you want while overseeing the op.

Hope that helps.

What he said ^^^^^^. :p

I'm afraid your nice new shiny PfCO doesn't mean anything in any other country and will not be recognised legally or otherwise.
The same as the CAA will not accept a US 107 for individuals coming to the UK wanting to fly commercially.
As stated above, your insurance will also need to be specific for the location your are flying.
You can get European cover added but of course you will also need a particular countries certification to operate as well - otherwise your insurance would not cover you since you couldn't legally work in that country.
The reason the USA is specifically excluded is usually down to how litigious the country is and the level of damages awarded if anything goes to court!

As far as logistics goes, it will actually be easier (and probably cheaper) for you to do the UK based side of things and then suggest to your client you coordinate everything in other countries and hire in pilots who are domiciled and certified for that particular country.
You can then act as a kind of DOP and tell them what you want while overseeing the op.

Hope that helps.
Just been asked same question by a client.

However if the footage is only for "gain" in the UK could you fly as a "hobbyist" with insurance in a European Country?
If you see what I mean?

Just been asked same question by a client.

However if the footage is only for "gain" in the UK could you fly as a "hobbyist" with insurance in a European Country?
If you see what I mean?
The problem would be your insurance would be a commercial policy (European) so you would have to check with your cover provider whether they would insure you for liability outside of the UK for Non-commercial operation. Difficult to answer emphatically since cover will differ from insurer to insurer and some may attach warranties/conditions to non UK flights.

Thanks. However if a UK Company wanted to film in a European Country could you film it as a hobbyist ( even though you have UK Permissions) Then on return edit and sell it to a UK same UK Company?
The thinking behind this is its for "gain" in the UK.......

Thanks. However if a UK Company wanted to film in a European Country could you film it as a hobbyist ( even though you have UK Permissions) Then on return edit and sell it to a UK same UK Company?
The thinking behind this is its for "gain" in the UK.......
I think the ‘problem’ would be you are actually using the footage commercially and therefore you have shot that footage with that in mind.
Of course proving it would be another matter!
As a one off you could probably get away with it. If it was a regular occurrence I think questions could get asked.

Funnily enough, this question came up when I was chatting to someone at a trade show. The guy had shot some footage whilst on holiday in the States and then used it on his showreel on his website.
He held PFAW (as it was back then) and the CAA said he couldn’t use the footage as it breached the ANO with stand offs etc.
He told them - “tough, take it up with the FAA as it has nothing to do with you being only charged with regulating UK airspace”
He heard no more about it.

Reactions: tweaker
So basically if you shot as a hobbyist in a country you do not have a permissions for but sell it in a country you have permissions for its err ....ok?

Like the story showing how in disarry the CAA with regards to checking out footage of permission holders. I wish they where as diligent when checking out NON licensed operators!!

Like the story showing how in disarry the CAA with regards to checking out footage of permission holders. I wish they where as diligent when checking out NON licensed operators!!
Yeah - basically told them to go swivel
That was a while ago when there were only a handful of us holding PFAW and the CAA had time to surf the world wide inter web looking at peoples websites and handing out ticking off for non compliance.
Nowadays, it’s a free for all and no justice out there for the cowboys even if they are reported
But that’s going OT......

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RomanChrz