Welcome Matrice Pilots!
Join our free DJI Matrice community today!

DJI Vimeo Sample Footage

Reaction score
Assuming that Vimeo does a better job of preserving image quality over Youtube, these may be of interest:

DJI

I've watched them all a few times now. It feels like there is slightly less compression in many of the shots. A number of the usual trouble spots (e.g. grass, water ripples, etc.) were still pretty noticeable in a couple of shots though. We don't know what shots are X5 vs. X5R though I have some suspicions. X5R should have pretty much zero artifacts. We also don't know if they were shot at 4K. I would assume so but Vimeo defaults to 720p (with 1080p as an option for paying users).

One thing that is still evident and may be a bigger issue for me than the potential for compression artifacts is the color. Many of the shots are fine but some are quite noticeably not so fine. Now either DJI needs to smack the guy who graded all this stuff or there is something not quite right in the color profile(s) in the camera.

I suspect the latter as I've seen similar issues in both X3 and P3P videos. It is most noticeable in mid-tones and dark areas of high contrast shots where all the latitude seems to run out. It's not crushed but all squished together.

Not knowing exactly how RAW color is adapted in camera to a color profile and color space, it is as if the algorithm that does it preserves all the latitude in the brights but all the mid-tones and darks get pushed into a tiny little portion of the remaining color space.

Since high contrast shots are typically what we aim for, this is a bit of a showstopper on a $2K camera. Good news is DJI can fix it in software. Bad news is only DJI can fix it and it's probably pretty hard to get right. Maybe they need to partner with Panasonic to implement GH4 color profiles like Cine-D, Cine-V and V-log.

Assuming that Vimeo does a better job of preserving image quality over Youtube, these may be of interest:

DJI

I've watched them all a few times now. It feels like there is slightly less compression in many of the shots. A number of the usual trouble spots (e.g. grass, water ripples, etc.) were still pretty noticeable in a couple of shots though. We don't know what shots are X5 vs. X5R though I have some suspicions. X5R should have pretty much zero artifacts. We also don't know if they were shot at 4K. I would assume so but Vimeo defaults to 720p (with 1080p as an option for paying users).

One thing that is still evident and may be a bigger issue for me than the potential for compression artifacts is the color. Many of the shots are fine but some are quite noticeably not so fine. Now either DJI needs to smack the guy who graded all this stuff or there is something not quite right in the color profile(s) in the camera.

I suspect the latter as I've seen similar issues in both X3 and P3P videos. It is most noticeable in mid-tones and dark areas of high contrast shots where all the latitude seems to run out. It's not crushed but all squished together.

Not knowing exactly how RAW color is adapted in camera to a color profile and color space, it is as if the algorithm that does it preserves all the latitude in the brights but all the mid-tones and darks get pushed into a tiny little portion of the remaining color space.

Since high contrast shots are typically what we aim for, this is a bit of a showstopper on a $2K camera. Good news is DJI can fix it in software. Bad news is only DJI can fix it and it's probably pretty hard to get right. Maybe they need to partner with Panasonic to implement GH4 color profiles like Cine-D, Cine-V and V-log.
Hmmmm.... interesting.

It MAY be a knee/slope issue with how they have the curve set up. If they have lowered the knee point to squeeze more dynamic range out of the camera the compression will start earlier in the slope - this will have the effect of skewing the colors (skin tones can particuarly suffer!)

You're right though - only DJI can alter this by changing the knee/slope profile in camera. A pretty easy fix (software wise BUT that will mean it will lose its quoted 13 stops of DR.

I will watch this space (or knee or curve) :p

DJI is a PRO user on Vimeo, so they DO have the option to upload 4K and let users download the 4K file (Vimeo does not yet support viewing 4K files, only download from Pro users). But apparently DJI didn't want that with these clips.

The long description on the second clip explains what is shot with PRO and RAW, which one can only conclude must be X5 and X5R?

DJI is a PRO user on Vimeo, so they DO have the option to upload 4K and let users download the 4K file (Vimeo does not yet support viewing 4K files, only download from Pro users). But apparently DJI didn't want that with these clips.

The long description on the second clip explains what is shot with PRO and RAW, which one can only conclude must be X5 and X5R?

Good looks, I didn't see that on first glance. So it looks like the R8 scene, the soccer field and a couple other scenics were shot with the 'R' and everything else with the regular X5. It's interesting because some stuff looks spectacular (snowboarding shots, dirtbikes on the ridge) while some not so much (that medieval stuff with the horses looks a bit muddy, also the forest stuff)...
At least we know which footage was shot with what system, I just sort of assumed that whole reel was shot with the R version.

only download from Pro users). But apparently DJI didn't want that with these clips.
Actually there is a 4K download on Vimeo from DJI on one of their videos. I linked to it in another thread.

Guys, i´ve just downloaded both clips from vimeo (original file) and reviewed them on my screen.

My initial impressions are mixed...

There are some clips, supposedly from X5R, that are great in terms of compression and noise.
But there are others, supposedly from X5R and from X5, that look like taken with the X3...

I don't know what to think. I´m talking, per example, about minute 3:15 (Yosemite) from the long video (vimeo.com/138657873) . If you review the clip at 100% its easy to see those compression effect that are present on X3 (yes, those "jumps", and general lack of detail).
Or 2:09 (motorbikes) where the clips has clearly a lot of noise and over sharpen... and, more worrying, again the compression jumps (check any area of the grass)..

I understand that some of them are clips filmed with low light (and probably) higher ISO but still, the ISO noise should have that same X3 effects.

Would any of you download the clip from vimeo (again, please, original file option) and share thoughts?

I´ve been waiting for some raw X5 footage, its an interesting camera for me but -only- if the codec compression makes justice to the sensor.

Thanks!! :)

The main thing I'm noticing is the over sharpening.... It is weird some shots look pretty great but others look like the X3. The horses running looks pretty much exactly like the X3 but some of the other shots look pretty decent. I hope I don't regret not bucking up for the R version..

The main thing I'm noticing is the over sharpening.... It is weird some shots look pretty great but others look like the X3. The horses running looks pretty much exactly like the X3 but some of the other shots look pretty decent. I hope I don't regret not bucking up for the R version..

my guess is the r version is responsible for all the nice looking shots

Reactions: damoncooper
my guess is the r version is responsible for all the nice looking shots
Yes, that would be my guess too but if you look at the footage you will actually see that is not consistent... Some of the clips that are supposed to be from X5R are too compressed as well. Even some of the ones where the show the color grading being applied...

Eh whatever, if it's better than the X3 it's worth it to me. Ever since getting into video production I've been such a brutal pixel peeper, always complaining about what equipment we have and lusting over the next thing and the next thing... I'm doing the same right now with our ground cameras, and you can believe I'll be doing it when we upgrade to the BM Ursa Mini... There's always a better piece of equipment but at what cost and is it really going to help you tell your story better.
Who knows? I'm excited to get my X5 and hoping that it represents good value for me. Worse comes to worse we will market it as a MFT upgrade and charge an extra $500/day, pay it off and save for the R or X7 or whatever is the next cool thing.

Exactly! At now point i started to thing that some of the horses shots (the good ones) where taken from the field,with some other camera...

Also.... did you guys noticed that clip where they take the i1 out of the case? I´ve been wondering if the i1 + new vibration absorbing board would fit the case somehow. It looks like they had the i1 inside without the board itself.(min 1:36)

Eh whatever, if it's better than the X3 it's worth it to me. Ever since getting into video production I've been such a brutal pixel peeper, always complaining about what equipment we have and lusting over the next thing and the next thing... I'm doing the same right now with our ground cameras, and you can believe I'll be doing it when we upgrade to the BM Ursa Mini... There's always a better piece of equipment but at what cost and is it really going to help you tell your story better.
Who knows? I'm excited to get my X5 and hoping that it represents good value for me. Worse comes to worse we will market it as a MFT upgrade and charge an extra $500/day, pay it off and save for the R or X7 or whatever is the next cool thing.
I know... i´m just trying to decide here about the best investment. When the X5r was released i was even thinking about that possibilities using it with the handheld gymbal. that would be an interesting pack for some of my shots.

I just hope that DJI got it right this time (or even fixes the X3 compression with a firmware update!). :)

DJI

Could someone with a Vimeo PRO account download the original files please (Ian?) and put them in a Dropbox I can access? I have a giant wall-sized Sony ULTRA-HD 4K TV that 4K artifacts can run from but cannot hide.

I'd be happy to analyze the footage as I did with the original X3 footage and provide analysis here. I just couldn't be bothered updating my Vimeo account to PRO. I let it lapse as they ignored my calls to support 4K.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RomanChrz