Welcome Matrice Pilots!
Join our free DJI Matrice community today!

USA Couple of Q's

Reaction score
Hello, all.

First post on this forum, though I've been around the Phantom forums for a bit under a different handle.

I have an Inspire 2 set for delivery on Tuesday (35 lbs! Holy smokes!), sans camera (that's another discussion), as I'm hoping to become certified in the next month or so to make a little money as a side hustle. However, lurking around the forums, I'm starting to have some doubts and/or buyers remorse. My concerns are around:

1) Is it even worthwhile to become certified? I'm in Atlanta and I'm sure there are several other pilots in the area/competition. Payouts seem to be small and/or shrinking, from what I read.

2). Is a Phantom 4 Advanced (my current bird) sufficient for commercial work? There is a stigma that it is an expensive toy. Heck, there isn't even a "Certified UAV Pilot" forum on the Phantom boards of this site.

I know the ROI on the P4 is higher, because my initial outlay is about a 1/4 of what the Inspire going to run. But that's only if I'd get work.

How have your experiences been? Anyone use a Phantom professionally? Is the Inspire overkill?

Sorry for the long first post.

Being Certified gives you some bragging rights. Doesn't necessarily mean you are a better pilot than a Hobbyist, but you may know more about the legalities of flying than a Hobbyist.

Sad part is the legalities are not what the Hobbyist concerns himself with. They just do it and if they cut into a Certified/Commercials business model, they don't care. Applies to almost any profession like tree trimmers who are often unlicensed verses the fewer ones who are and carry insurance, etc. I listen to mine complain all the time about that profession where he has to make at least $3K per day to meet payroll and insurance, and the unlicensed trimmers, who make up the other 90% in our town, get away with $500 in their pocket and zero out.

Personally, I wish the FAA stayed out of the Commercial arena entirely. I am a private pilot and we could do commercial work back then since we had a flying license. Then the FAA wanted more money so the Commercial one came about, probably because some Hollywood cinematographer's union felt threatened and it was a way to put more money into local coiffures too. Pilots didn't change, but the license did, and some still shoot Commercial being Private pilots too. Not surprisingly, same applies to drone pilots also.

If the FAA required a license to fly a drone beyond DJI's "Beginner" or current "Lock-down" plan of 100 feet, I'd be okay with that too. FAA making money with the term Commercial is my beef, and I've had go-around arguments with badges on normal ground-based camera DSLR stuff where they automatically assume seeing a nice camera setup implies Commercial, therefore you need to pay $2,000 for some asinine one-day permit with sundry payouts to other bureaucratic ones jumping in your wallet (Like commercial parking permit for three hours for $1,600 where anyone else pays $5 in the same spot!), and the days/weeks waiting to get it, verses the guy with a crappy camera or a cellphone snapper who pays zero as a hobbyist and is shooting the same scene guerilla-style and may publish it too for bucks. Some badges will see an Inspire as expensive and therefore needing a local film commissioner's permit and saying "Time to leave," "We've had a complaint," or "Here's your ticket. Take it up with the judge."

As to the I2, only reason I have mine is for the need to change lenses to fit the scene and to get the thing away from people with a tele lens. If the P4+ could do that, I'd use it instead for less money if the optics and camera were up to the task. Okay, it's easier to haul the P4 around verses the larger Inspire 2 as well. I looked at the Alta's and the things need a van or large SUV to haul them, but they can lift far better gear. About the size of a washing machine or larger, and flying in confined spaces is tougher too.

My two-cent opinion for the day and bit of a rant.

Anyway, good luck with the new I2 too! Takes some time to get used to it.

If you are serious about putting your equipment to commercial work, then you must become Part 107 certified.

Yes, the aerial service side of the industry is becoming quite a bit more competitive and therefore pricing is becoming more competitive. Those who are emerging from the pack and innovating in their service offerings and quality are reaping the benefits of maintaining a premium price for their service offering. Aerial production companies that have emerged around Southern CA and the SW United States can't expand their fleets and personnel fast enough to meet the demand they face. Those companies have created a name and brand and potential clients can quickly understand their expectations in terms of professionalism and quality. From what we see, there is room for others to establish themselves as well.

There's a significant difference in being a Phantom owner and meandering into offering aerial service versus being a professional operator with professional equipment. What is your vision for your venture into the aerial service business? Yes, the Phantom 4 Pro is suitable for some professional work but if high-end cinema video production is going to be your specialty then it will not align with your vision. All depends what specific segment of the industry you see your company primarily focusing in as the suitable equipment will vary based on that focus.

We hope this information helps and we wish you the best in your venture. Safe flying! :cool:

Truthfully the industry is still evolving. Those who work illegally will only get the bottom of the pot jobs. Any REAL company will not risk the illegal operator. The negative side is I am finding those REAL companies sometimes buy their own rigs and do the work themselves. Were looking at moving to more of inspection type of environment and private jobs. In a few years if not sooner the aerial industry may be the "Fidget Spinner" of work, hot today, gone tomorrow and saturated to a point of you pay to do the work..:)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dtpelt