Welcome Matrice Pilots!
Join our free DJI Matrice community today!

Comparison video X5 vs. X5R

Reaction score
Website
www.airflix.dk
I've had the X5 since launch, but as my friend bought the X5R we thought it would be interesting to do a side-by-side comparison video flying the two cameras under the same lighting conditions and inform you guys about the X5R workflow which is radically different from the X5.

Specs:
X5 - Oly 12mm
X5R - DJI 15mm
Both with ND filters (X5R variable ND)

Video settings:
Manual mode
ISO 100
24 fps
1/50 sec
f/5.6
NONE (X5: 0,0,0)

CINELIGHT
X5R SSD can only be used with CineLight (download from DJI). If you connect it to a pc, it will only show Mac/Win installers. The files can not be accessed. From CineLight you need to export - via USB 3 - to your disk. You can choose Adobe DNG, DNG sequence and all ProRes versions. Then you can continue to work in your editor/grade.
DNG sequences shows as 23.976fps, even though you choose 24fps in the Go App.
When exporting CineLight defaults to sRGB color profile for some chinese reason I can't understand. You'll need to change to DLOG manually.
Expect exporting a full SSD via SUB 3 to take hours.

Other:
Flight time for X5R w. TB48: 10-12 min with a normal flying behaviour
X5R records in 10-bit color depth, 4:4:4 chroma sampling
Basically each video frame is a DNG file, but if you think you can just extract DNG's from a video file instead of taking photos, remember that a small amount of motion blur can look pleasing in video. So, if you look at individual frames one by one they're not going to be as sharp as a normal still image shot with a higher shutter speed. (fx. 1/80 taken from an I1 flying fast will look unsharp) - so if you need sharp photos, take photos.

You can find the comparison video here:
https://vimeo.com/162840931
Full credit to 4K chief Jan Winther for the cool editing job on this one. In the comments you can see which camera is which, but you can try to see if you can see if yourself first.

Debate time...

Thanks! And what does take longer: export to DNG or export to ProRes? (I guess ProRes) -> how long does the export to ProRes take?

Looks nice.

x5 holds up well until trees and grass come into the picture. then it just drops the ball completely.

nice and crisp on the x5r

Reactions: slim.slamma
you would need to go full screen for each one to do this justice.
The smaller something is be it photos or videos the EASIER it is to mask quality issues.

I sold my X5 about 6 weeks ago, still need to save a bit more cash before I can get the X5R.
Seen enough of the X5R to know I'll be happy with it though. Just gotta forget about the cost.

Reactions: damoncooper
The rocks are more clear with the x5 under the windmills, but the clouds are clearer with the x5r. I wonder how much of a difference that the lenses are causing.

They both look good though. Thank you for sharing!

**** I want that x5r, it's just the headaches that come with it. The x5 footage ain't bad it is what is.
The bridge in the background with the x5 at :40 seconds seemed sharper and the clarity seemed better surprised just the bridge. Otherwise x5r rocked

The rocks are more clear with the x5 under the windmills, but the clouds are clearer with the x5r. I wonder how much of a difference that the lenses are causing.

They both look good though. Thank you for sharing!
Maybe it looks sharper because the X5 footage was shot in NONE (0,0,0), but this tends to be over sharpened in camera. I would dial Sharpness down to -2 and add it in post.

Maybe it looks sharper because the X5 footage was shot in NONE (0,0,0), but this tends to be over sharpened in camera. I would dial Sharpness down to -2 and add it in post.

I don't really care what causes certain areas to look better, but it looks better on the x5 on some parts, and x5r on others is the bottom line. The x5 will work well for some, and the x5r will work well for some.

There is not enough roi for me since I don't want to be spending a lot of time moving, and processing large amounts of data for the little difference I see in your comparison.

Thanks again for sharing :D

I noticed this too, the X5 shots look way over sharpened. I find -3 the best setting so no in camera sharpening is added, that way you can adjust it in post and it helps cut down on the compression artifacts.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RomanChrz