Welcome Matrice Pilots!
Join our free DJI Matrice community today!

Comparison Video that makes the X5 look good?

Reaction score
All of the X3 to X5 comparison videos so far have not seem to do the X5 any justice. Where is this huge bump in image quality, dynamic range and detail that is so boasted about on the X5? Besides a change in focal length I don't see any videos that compare both cameras showing the X5 as a far superior camera.

All of the X3 to X5 comparison videos so far have not seem to do the X5 any justice. Where is this huge bump in image quality, dynamic range and detail that is so boasted about on the X5? Besides a change in focal length I don't see any videos that compare both cameras showing the X5 as a far superior camera.
I think the problem is with statements such as ' a far superior camera.' Whether it is far superior, is surely a subjective opinion. For me it is far superior, in many ways. 1) It allows me to use it as a photographer and have control over the camera settings 2) it allows me to change lenses 3) It no longer has that X3 'look' that is so prevalent 4) I don't see any of the bitrate issues that are associated with the X3 5) It has improved dynamic range which I have witnessed in highlight areas of an image. So for me, it has been a big improvement. For others, perhaps not so big, in which case I can understand their reluctance to purchase the camera. I read on the forum, not so long ago, that someone couldn't see any difference between the two cameras!

One area where the X3 really sucks is the ISO. I don't even like going above 200. The noise is just not acceptable. Do you find the X5 to be any better? The X3 is about where DSLR's were about 5 years ago.

Many thanks,
Houston
Hi Houston, I have to admit, to date, I have only had two flights, so have not really had an opportunity to test the ISO. But you might find this YouTube video very interesting...

Reactions: dopeytree
Hi Houston, I have to admit, to date, I have only had two flights, so have not really had an opportunity to test the ISO. But you might find this YouTube video very interesting...
Yeah, I really don't want to have to spend anther $2,300 to get the ISO of a modern day camera. What I was trying to say is that the X3 should be a lot better in low light conditions as far as noise goes. I feel like I am shootign with my Nikon D70 from 6 years ago.

Reactions: howard rockliffe
If you're happy with your x3 output, stick with it.

I worked with the x5 on the i1-pro today for the first time and was pleased. More complex to work with of course since there are 'real' camera settings that can be adjusted now beyond just ISO and shutter speed.

As mentioned previously, the one advantage I've noticed so far is the better 'look'of the 15mm lens. No more fish-eye effects (even though the x3 is much nicer already in this arena compared to the go-pro...).

I'm experiencing fewer moire pattern problems as well. And though I've not thoroughly explored the limits of it yet, the increased dynamic range is welcome.

You can definitely feel the weight of the new imaging system on the aircraft, but I was plesantly surprised at the flight time. A bit shorter, but still comparable to the I1.

Thanks for the replies guys. It definitely is a better stills camera and the night shots look great too.

But has anyone found a good X3/X5 comparison video of day shooting that shows the X5 with better image quality, dynamic range and detail? The examples currently up do not do the X5 any justice.

X5 is easy to screw up and get bad quality images if the operator does not know what he is doing. Much more to it than the 'automatic' fixed focal length X3. The quality between the two is huge IMO and from my hands on experience.

X5 is easy to screw up and get bad quality images if the operator does not know what he is doing. Much more to it than the 'automatic' fixed focal length X3. The quality between the two is huge IMO and from my hands on experience.
Thanks for the reply Drew. Do you have both cameras? Are you able to post a comparison between the 2?

I really don't have a ton of time to whip up a comparison, I can point you to one shot by two guys that know what they are doing and did a nice one (Barry Blanchard & Philip Lima) so no reason to rehash it. I did shoot the X5 on its first job this weekend and was very pleased with the results. Still waiting on stills in edit but a video was put together already. I don't share to much online out in the open but you can PM me if you are interested in seeing it. In a nutshell, I think the X5 is WAY ahead of the X3, I know others will contest that and feel it's no better, certainly not $2k better. My opinions are formed by a serious increase in dynamic range, great low light performance and a softer look. I don't want video with everything in focus like an action cam. Our footage is implemented alongside 5DMKIII, 6D & GH4 and occasionally Red's. I feel the X5 has a more cinematic look that plays well with the other cameras we use. To top it off we can swap out to other lenses (while limited).

I really don't have a ton of time to whip up a comparison, I can point you to one shot by two guys that know what they are doing and did a nice one (Barry Blanchard & Philip Lima) so no reason to rehash it. I did shoot the X5 on its first job this weekend and was very pleased with the results. Still waiting on stills in edit but a video was put together already. I don't share to much online out in the open but you can PM me if you are interested in seeing it. In a nutshell, I think the X5 is WAY ahead of the X3, I know others will contest that and feel it's no better, certainly not $2k better. My opinions are formed by a serious increase in dynamic range, great low light performance and a softer look. I don't want video with everything in focus like an action cam. Our footage is implemented alongside 5DMKIII, 6D & GH4 and occasionally Red's. I feel the X5 has a more cinematic look that plays well with the other cameras we use. To top it off we can swap out to other lenses (while limited).
I absolutely agree. The forums are littered with guys who have never shot a single frame on a DSLR in anything other than auto mode. They wouldn't know the difference between depth of focus or depth of field, or their ISO from their ASA. I have actually read posts from guys saying they can't see the difference between the X3 or the X5! These guys are on here slagging off the X5 for one reason and one reason only... the emperor's clothes springs to mind. In my opinion, if you're a pro film maker or commercial photographer, you should see the benefits of this camera straight away. What I really love about it is it's filmic quality, it really has a very film feel to it. Plus all the other attributes you have mentioned and many more too.

Last edited:

Thanks for the response Drew.

I couldn't find the comparson videos that you mentioned, could you post the links?

I found the philip one but I already posted it here. TBH I prefer the look of the X3 in his video.

Cheers.

Man you took the words right out of my mouth. I am ready to pull the trigger, but have seen no hard evidence. I am a professional videographer of 20 plus years. And in a past life studied with the world class Apple video copressionists as well as a color grader using Davinci resolve. Forgive my resume, I just wanted to let everyone know that I am not a newbe. So here it goes. In the everlasting search for better images I have been weighing the x5 upgrade and also started playing with DJI log. I have played with every setting of contrast, saturation, etc and I see no comparison between most log footage and this stuff. I literally spent ½ in Davinci trying to get the log footage to look remotely as good as the standard capture method. (perhaps I am missing something) anyway, not being impressed I decided that it might be time to lay out the cash for the x5 upgrade, so I began my research. I saw one comparison between the 3x and the x5 shot on a coastline also posted above and although the were different/brighter it look to me as though the x5 stuff was simply shot 20 minutes earlier (maybe I am wrong) heres that link -
. And then the rea head scratcher at this review done by aerial media pros (they always do a nice job) they showed side by side comparisons and the x5 stuff actually looked worse. Even the commentator sort of disclaimed it. beside the fact that the 3 had infinite focus and the x5 had a shallow depth of field it just look bad. Here is that link-
. Anyway if anyone can point me in the direction of a good apples to apple comparison or better yet downloadable footage I would be grateful.

Thanks all and Fly Safe!

Man you took the words right out of my mouth. I am ready to pull the trigger, but have seen no hard evidence. I am a professional videographer of 20 plus years. And in a past life studied with the world class Apple video copressionists as well as a color grader using Davinci resolve. Forgive my resume, I just wanted to let everyone know that I am not a newbe. So here it goes. In the everlasting search for better images I have been weighing the x5 upgrade and also started playing with DJI log. I have played with every setting of contrast, saturation, etc and I see no comparison between most log footage and this stuff. I literally spent ½ in Davinci trying to get the log footage to look remotely as good as the standard capture method. (perhaps I am missing something) anyway, not being impressed I decided that it might be time to lay out the cash for the x5 upgrade, so I began my research. I saw one comparison between the 3x and the x5 shot on a coastline also posted above and although the were different/brighter it look to me as though the x5 stuff was simply shot 20 minutes earlier (maybe I am wrong) heres that link -
. And then the rea head scratcher at this review done by aerial media pros (they always do a nice job) they showed side by side comparisons and the x5 stuff actually looked worse. Even the commentator sort of disclaimed it. beside the fact that the 3 had infinite focus and the x5 had a shallow depth of field it just look bad. Here is that link-
. Anyway if anyone can point me in the direction of a good apples to apple comparison or better yet downloadable footage I would be grateful.

Thanks all and Fly Safe!

I'm in the exact same boat RMB. I've shot over 50 productions this summer as a drone pilot and about 40 of them had no problem with the X3 image quality.

The problem came when working on higher end productions using the Red/Alexa. The DPs/DITs noticed the compression right away.

My eyes lit up when I saw the X5 announcement but was shocked when I read it uses the same frame rates and compression as the X3.

For next year I'm hoping that the X5R lives up to the hype or an affordable drone using the Blackmagic Micro Camera comes out.

I'm in the exact same boat RMB. I've shot over 50 productions this summer as a drone pilot and about 40 of them had no problem with the X3 image quality.

The problem came when working on higher end productions using the Red/Alexa. The DPs/DITs noticed the compression right away.

My eyes lit up when I saw the X5 announcement but was shocked when I read it uses the same frame rates and compression as the X3.

For next year I'm hoping that the X5R lives up to the hype or an affordable drone using the Blackmagic Micro Camera comes out.
Yup, I too have done a pile of pro work and anyone worth their salt can spot the massive compression issues that the x3 delivers. That said for most mortals and certainly most budgets, it is a fantastic way to add real cinematic quality. And, unless DJI really messes up, raw will be the game changer for certain (with the exception of the horrifying price tag. To be honest I (and even most Red/Alexa fans) would be more than happy with 4k GH4 quality. Lets keep our fingers crossed!!

Reactions: Burlingtonfilms
Standard x5 is so much better than the x3 in terms of compression. Very very close to the GH4. It is there very slighty but it's barely noticeable and you do have to really analyse it to see.

What makes.me very happy is no choppy frames like. The x3. I had to film for a client over the sea today and thats where i noticed it most before. looking back at the footage you would think it's gh4. Absolutely loving the inspire right now and so are the clients!!

Standard x5 is so much better than the x3 in terms of compression. Very very close to the GH4. It is there very slighty but it's barely noticeable and you do have to really analyse it to see.

What makes.me very happy is no choppy frames like. The x3. I had to film for a client over the sea today and thats where i noticed it most before. looking back at the footage you would think it's gh4. Absolutely loving the inspire right now and so are the clients!!

Thanks for your reply and that's awesome that you have both cameras. Any chance you can post a short comparison between the 2? Every comparison Ive seen between the X3/X5 look the same or the X5 is slighty worse. And the comparisons with the GH4 show it to have much better IQ.

Some people with both cameras keep saying the X5 has way better image quality but never post a short test proving so.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RomanChrz