Welcome Matrice Pilots!
Join our free DJI Matrice community today!

Client Music For Video

Reaction score
What have you guys found to be the best method of choosing music to go with a clients video?

By that I mean do you let client source music,source it yourself,provide him a list of suggested websites etc etc?

I have done it both ways and generally find clients find it confusing to source music. How do you get round this. Is there a simple way to lay it out to your client.......

How do you deal with copyright etc etc

Just interested in alternative models to my own and your own experiences.

Thanks in advance

Its an interesting subject and I'm always pleased when people are aware that music copyright must be taken seriously.

The music depends on a number of factors ...
What style the subject is shot it for instance is it moody, active romantic etc etc.
Rarely a good idea to have clients choose music.

The fact that your referring to clients indicates that this is a commercial enterprise meaning that you MUST pay for the copyright for most of the music you use. There are plenty of royalty free music sites that are cost effective.
In general commercial music that is in the charts is really out of the scope of all but the biggest budgets.

Think of it like you shoot some great footage only to find someone has taken it and used it in a commercial for Ford without you getting a dime!

With our TV stations we pay 2.5% of our annual turnover to a music rights distribution organisation.

As for editing with music we often spend almost as much time finding the right music as we do editing the product. The music makes it what it is.

The key word is client. What type of reaction is the client expecting when viewing the footage. The music should invoke the same response and the video.. You may try two or three different music scores to accompany a presentation so that the client has a choice. The same would apply to you. What reaction do you expect from those viewing your footage?

Imagine a Baywatch lifeguard rescue to the music of Total Eclipse of the Heart. Not Good.:eek:

Reactions: Highrpm955
Unless our client states that they want it cut to a specific song that they have rights to, we select the music in all cases. I am sure there is plenty of creative commons sites out there that I have no experience with, but I would like some suggestions for ones that have good filtering abilities so I can round down my music selections. We use musicbed.com and audiojungle.com . Muisic bed has an awesome search tool.

I don't think it's a good idea to let a client pick the music. To me, your work has a greater impact if they see it "finished".. It has a greater wow factor. Ive looked around on some of the sites mentioned above, and they are great. I've found that if you look up the karaoke versions of some songs on iTunes is a quick and easy way to add music... In FCPX anyways.

I don't think it's a good idea to let a client pick the music. To me, your work has a greater impact if they see it "finished".. It has a greater wow factor. Ive looked around on some of the sites mentioned above, and they are great. I've found that if you look up the karaoke versions of some songs on iTunes is a quick and easy way to add music... In FCPX anyways.
I agree with having the 'karaoke verison' aka instrumental verisons of songs for soundtracks.
The Music Bed is a great source for well composed music.

Reactions: Highrpm955
What have you guys found to be the best method of choosing music to go with a clients video?

By that I mean do you let client source music,source it yourself,provide him a list of suggested websites etc etc?

I have done it both ways and generally find clients find it confusing to source music. How do you get round this. Is there a simple way to lay it out to your client.......

How do you deal with copyright etc etc

Just interested in alternative models to my own and your own experiences.

Thanks in advance
Im in television production and pay to use music in our commercials. I wouldn't dream of letting a client pick the music. I mean... what do the clients know? They employ me to create a commercial to sell their product. Why the hell would I let them pick the music? I don even show the client the script till the commercial is finished. Once again... its not the client s job. I have produced over 2000 commercials and have had to change the commercial very few times.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RomanChrz