Welcome Matrice Pilots!
Join our free DJI Matrice community today!

C A-F on X5

Reaction score
Is there a software/firmware upgrade, in the works, for the X5 to include continuous auto focus (C-af)?
Not easy to pilot and continuously tapping the screen for refocusing.

Is there a software/firmware upgrade, in the works, for the X5 to include continuous auto focus (C-af)?

Buzzcam, not sure what lens you're shooting or how far away your subjects are, so this may not be relevant, but maybe it doesn't matter ...? If you're using the DJI 15mm lens, even shooting at f/1.7, you can calibrate it so that everything from about 9m/30ft away to infinity is in focus and you don't have to mess with it.

Also, you can turn on focus peaking and see on your screen what's in focus (at least everything with a high-contrast edge).

Reactions: Kilrah
But thats what we have to do to use any camera professionally. Thats why we buy the X5 so we can use it and select focus etc. Its a learning curve if you have never done photography.
You might have been better off with an X3.

Reactions: daxis
We dont want a camera that has everything in focus.

I'm legit curious here. I'm a landscape still photographer, so I don't use the camera for other things, so my perspective is a bit narrow. What are you shooting where you actually get this not-everything-in-focus effect? Are you getting very close to your subject, or using a much longer lens than the 15mm?

But thats what we have to do to use any camera professionally. Thats why we buy the X5 so we can use it and select focus etc. Its a learning curve if you have never done photography.
You might have been better off with an X3.

Doing it this way is fine for stills and you are absolutely right, but I do both stills as well as video and live streaming.
Off course it is not a problem when I have a camera operator, but not all jobs have that type of budget.

I'm legit curious here. I'm a landscape still photographer, so I don't use the camera for other things, so my perspective is a bit narrow. What are you shooting where you actually get this not-everything-in-focus effect? Are you getting very close to your subject, or using a much longer lens than the 15mm?

I do both still and moving pictures. Using a 15mm, 45mm and 14-42mm my subjects are often closer then the minimum infinite focus distance. And, more then often, I operate solo.

I believe most responses are from still photographers. My issue is as a videographer who does live streaming without the use of a dedicated camera operator. I don't think there is any harm in having a continuous focus setting available so long you can turn it off. This way it would be the operator (owners) choice. At this moment we have no choice other then to tap the screen or purchase a rather expensive manual focus wheel. And with only 2 hands available even that would be a operational nightmare.
The option and choice should be there....

Reactions: Ftolino
For me, I shoot for tv commercials so like a shallow debth of field. I use the 45mm as well which helps greatly. I guess if you are shooting landscapes then not so important and it would suit an X3 better where everything is in focus. I think it just looks a bit plasticy.

I believe most responses are from still photographers. My issue is as a videographer who does live streaming without the use of a dedicated camera operator. I don't think there is any harm in having a continuous focus setting available so long you can turn it off. This way it would be the operator (owners) choice. At this moment we have no choice other then to tap the screen or purchase a rather expensive manual focus wheel. And with only 2 hands available even that would be a operational nightmare.
The option and choice should be there....
I think an X3 will suit you better for that purpose. Everything is always in focus. I am used to using the focus system for stills and video which is my main purpose. It makes for a much more cinematic shot.

There is a vast difference between shooting with a 2/3 and a 4/3 sensor. Hence the reason for going to the X5. The depth of the larger sensor is necessary for the look we all want. To go back to an X3 is like asking to drop my DLSR and go to a point and shoot. Not a very pro suggestion..
All I'm asking is to be given a choice and ability to use a c-af when needed.
The X5 is also made to sit on an Osmo (which I also use) which shoots in very close quarters. My question would be. When they first showed promos of the Osmo with an X5 they were seen handing it over to other operators to get a seamless shot. This, to me, seems impossible unless there is a remote focus puller or continuous focus function. Unless the whole thing was choreographed so everyone was placed at the same distance (which would be very unlikely)

There is a vast difference between shooting with a 2/3 and a 4/3 sensor. Hence the reason for going to the X5. The depth of the larger sensor is necessary for the look we all want. To go back to an X3 is like asking to drop my DLSR and go to a point and shoot. Not a very pro suggestion..
All I'm asking is to be given a choice and ability to use a c-af when needed.
The X5 is also made to sit on an Osmo (which I also use) which shoots in very close quarters. My question would be. When they first showed promos of the Osmo with an X5 they were seen handing it over to other operators to get a seamless shot. This, to me, seems impossible unless there is a remote focus puller or continuous focus function. Unless the whole thing was choreographed so everyone was placed at the same distance (which would be very unlikely)
But thats how the camera works??? Im sorry. i was pointing out the same thing. I wasn't suggesting to go back to an X3 unless you are not familiar with a good camera. The X5 has to have a focus point as far as I understand like a Mark 3 Canon or any other decent camera.

So, none of the above has actually answered the original question.
Is there a software or firmware upgrade in the works for C-af or focus tracking on the X5?
Seen the camera is based on the GH4, which does have af tracking, it shouldn't be to difficult.

So, none of the above has actually answered the original question.
Is there a software or firmware upgrade in the works for C-af or focus tracking on the X5?
Seen the camera is based on the GH4, which does have af tracking, it shouldn't be to difficult.
Cant you just set it to infinity and focus? You will have to leave it on manual but why wouldn't you want a better look? Are you sure your GH4 does focus tracking in video mode? Others like the Mark 3 don't that's for sure. Just buy an X3 for that look and sell the X5. You might find the 12mm lens on the X5 will be easier to keep everything in focus but I dont know. It should do if its important to you.

Cant you just set it to infinity and focus? You will have to leave it on manual but why wouldn't you want a better look? Are you sure your GH4 does focus tracking in video mode? Others like the Mark 3 don't that's for sure. Just buy an X3 for that look and sell the X5. You might find the 12mm lens on the X5 will be easier to keep everything in focus but I dont know. It should do if its important to you.

As stated before, this camera mounts onto an OSMO as well and, seen we're shooting within a 20 foot range of the objects or persons, infinite focus would be out of focus. We need more ISO control for working in indoor spaces with natural light. Something that most of my TV commercial filming brethren are well aware of. The OSMO and X5 give us the flexibility, but seen there is no external manual focus option on the OSMO a tracking focus would be a possible answer. My question hasn't changed, but it seems obvious to me that you can not answer the question and insist on switching back to a lower grade sensor which, I can assure you, does not work well in low light. FYI both the GH4 and my 800e are equipped with tracking focus in video mode..

As stated before, this camera mounts onto an OSMO as well and, seen we're shooting within a 20 foot range of the objects or persons, infinite focus would be out of focus. We need more ISO control for working in indoor spaces with natural light. Something that most of my TV commercial filming brethren are well aware of. The OSMO and X5 give us the flexibility, but seen there is no external manual focus option on the OSMO a tracking focus would be a possible answer. My question hasn't changed, but it seems obvious to me that you can not answer the question and insist on switching back to a lower grade sensor which, I can assure you, does not work well in low light. FYI both the GH4 and my 800e are equipped with tracking focus in video mode..
I couldn't imagine using the X5 on an Osmo to shoot a tv commercial. It doesn't work well enough indoors for a start and even a Canon Mark 3 does not do focus tracking. The latest IDX mark 2 claims to do that but you are looking at an $8000 spend body only. If your GH4 does focus tracking then use that and put it on a Ronin or similar. Trouble is its a 2 times plus crop factor..
Why is it so much trouble to gave to touch a screen and focus? Its certainly better than using a DSLR and having to focus pull every shot. I keep switching g back to the lower grade sensor because I dont understand what you want everything in focus for. In my 19 years of filming tv commercials we are blessed with the DSLRs to be able to gain a shallow depth of field... something that was almost impossible on a par focal lens of the designated video cameras including the full size shoulder mounts that cost over 70k. I was in Singapore yesterday shooting with my 70-200 Canon sense and I can tell you it is a case of having to refocus each and every shot. Its what we do and its how the lens works. Why do you want everything in focus if you are doing serious work? Try a Ronin and use a decent camera but you will still have to pull focus. From what I have read about the GH4, it appears to hun t a lot to auto focus which to my mind, destroys any shot. Isn't it easier to simply use touchscreen on the X5?

Strange comment Dennis as 4/3 cameras have been doing C-Af since they were introduced years ago. Tracking is very common on complete with face detection across most of cameras I have looked at. Hunting will always be downside of C-AF with video, even that is getting better.

Buzzcam, your right there are cases where C-AF would be very useful and all 4/3 cameras let you choose focus mode as required. DJI are just learning how to create camera software and they have a VERY long way to go. Maybe one day they will learn about dealing with hot pixels and a bunch of other stuff that is normal on real cameras.

Till then its basically a a good old manual camera that gets us the images/video we want with decent lenses. Just takes a bit of effort and a a bunch of flying/battery time.

While I know it does not shoot 4k but at least looks like a real camera in similar package
AIR A01 | Olympus

Reactions: Buzzcam

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LangeJens