Welcome Matrice Pilots!
Join our free DJI Matrice community today!

Blew my 2nd high pay film job! Please chime in.

This is also why you always have to have a backup airframe and imagining system... If all you've got is one UAV, a pro no go.
I did have a backup. They both do it. If you keep reading on this subject you’ll begin to see that they all do it. I had an inspire 1 available as well, but the DP wouldn’t allow the drop in quality. Perhaps if I had an inspire 1 with a 5r, but how many platforms can you bring to one gig?

It sounds like you were shooting solo? Why not have a gimbal operator on the slave controller so you can concentrate on the flight action?
A second operator would have been helpful, but he too would have had the same issue with keeping the gimbal solid. But to your point he probably could have done the finger on the Ipad trick

Reactions: DamesNY
There are a few tough lessons here: DJI don't look after their customers and provide equipment 'as is', his has caused me a lot of serious issues over my years as a professional operator. In Australia there's legal recourse as the unit is 'unfit for purpose' but DJI are a powerhouse and I can't see that it would be worth even considering legal action, they would just walk all over you.

Realistically as has been said above, if you're walking on to any kind of set with a single piece of kit and with a known issue you've only yourself to blame. Sorry. I always bring duplicate equipment on to any serious job. In retrospect you should've rented another I2 or I1 Pro as backup, sometimes you can get better rates if the equipment isn't used through the rental period.

Guaranteed when the pressure is on all your issues are going to come out, but that's why there are professionals and that's why professionals charge so much, they guarantee the shot when the pressures on, in part because they spend money to mitigate errors that might come up, like buying or renting redundant kit.
As I said to other person that suggested redundancy, I agree and did. But since they both (apparently all) do it, I am not sure how having 5 of them there would have helped. If you read up on this further you will see that this is a condition that is not limited to my Inspire 2

I am serious in this response. I know that you should not have to do this, but in this extraordinary case I would put the gimbal in follow mode and use duck tape to tape the gimbal to the gimbal support to prevent gimbal yaw drift. If you need to get the shot and all else is not working, this might be an option.

Shouldn’t you have tested its limitations before accepting the job ?
Hidesight being 20/20 yes and no. You do t generally know the shots you are going to be asked to do ahead of time this was the last shot of the day and the nature of the first 5 were not an issue. And, if this shot had been a simple pullback as original explained earlier in the dayif you start working these types of jobs you will find that there will very infrequently be a shot list given until you are co tracted and on set. The nature of the beast I’m afraid.

I rotate between 3 different Inspire 2s and have never seen this issue. Probably because I always fly in “follow” mode as a single operator and use the drone itself to pan. I use a second operator for cars etc. A reverse fly away and climb can be done after tilt is set with center frame pretty easy to keep. And just use the bird to pan. I don’t think I have used any of the functions.
Using the bird to pan is not the proper way to do it. In a pinch or for re composing shot, yes, but for actual cinematic filming, it is not recommended.

Reactions: eldorado
I rotate between 3 different Inspire 2s and have never seen this issue. Probably because I always fly in “follow” mode as a single operator and use the drone itself to pan. I use a second operator for cars etc. A reverse fly away and climb can be done after tilt is set with center frame pretty easy to keep. And just use the bird to pan. I don’t think I have used any of the functions.
I don’t think I have ever used follow mode so this might be a stupid question. Would follow lock the gimbal on my subject? And if so when you pan the bird wouldn’t it stay there? Sorry, I guess I don’t understand follow mode.

I am serious in this response. I know that you should not have to do this, but in this extraordinary case I would put the gimbal in follow mode and use duck tape to tape the gimbal to the gimbal support to prevent gimbal yaw drift. If you need to get the shot and all else is not working, this might be an option.
Dude.. I loves me a good workaround. And you might be right a little duct tape (gaffers tape in my case) probably would have done the trick. Where were you when I need you? :)

Perhaps DJI should be including a roll with every purchase of a new I2;).

I don’t think I have ever used follow mode so this might be a stupid question. Would follow lock the gimbal on my subject? And if so when you pan the bird wouldn’t it stay there? Sorry, I guess I don’t understand follow mode.
Follow mode (triangle) locks the camera in place like a Phantom. You fly the bird for your shots and use your left pinkie for tilt on the go. I just remembered I have seen the drift you are talking about early on and that’s why I avoid all functions and hand fly mostly. The functions I have seen are imperfect except maybe tripod mode. I just fly dead slow instead. I have never seen the drift problem on follow mode or when handing off camera control to the slave. I hope this answers your question.

Using the bird to pan is not the proper way to do it. In a pinch or for re composing shot, yes, but for actual cinematic filming, it is not recommended.
Maybe to some but most DPs know nothing about drones. It’s not easy but with practice it can be done. The lens doesn’t know how it’s being positioned. The physics are the same :)

Follow mode (triangle) locks the camera in place like a Phantom. You fly the bird for your shots and use your left pinkie for tilt on the go. I just remembered I have seen the drift you are talking about early on and that’s why I avoid all functions and hand fly mostly. The functions I have seen are imperfect except maybe tripod mode. I just fly dead slow instead. I have never seen the drift problem on follow mode or when handing off camera control to the slave. I hope this answers your question.
Yes that might have been helpful. I think when the weather cooperates, I will give that a go. I must admit that other than tripod mode that I love and use frequently, I am not nearly up to speed on the flight modes as much a I probably should be.

Thanks for the reply.
rb

Maybe to some but most DPs know nothing about drones. It’s not easy but with practice it can be done. The lens doesn’t know how it’s being positioned. The physics are the same :)

Once the controls were properly dampened, my drone panned wonderfully, and with the added bonus of knowing which way it's pointing, as a solo operator, that allows you to stay "in the aircraft" to keep, and get you out of trouble.

Once the controls were properly dampened, my drone panned wonderfully, and with the added bonus of knowing which way it's pointing, as a solo operator, that allows you to stay "in the aircraft" to keep, and get you out of trouble.
Look. Bottom line is the shot is the shot and frowned on or not if I had done that (assuming that it would have worked) believe me I would have done it gladly. The question is in follow mode does that lock the gimbal in a way the keeps it from drifting? Again I will try it for myself, just wondering about your experience. Cause I hear to tell you if that’s a solid workaround you bet that’s how I will be proceeding until DJI gets off its butt to fix the issue. This certainly won’t help for the instances where the DP wants to fly, but like I said earlier that is only occasionally.

Look. Bottom line is the shot is the shot and frowned on or not if I had done that (assuming that it would have worked) believe me I would have done it gladly. The question is in follow mode does that lock the gimbal in a way the keeps it from drifting? Again I will try it for myself, just wondering about your experience. Cause I hear to tell you if that’s a solid workaround you bet that’s how I will be proceeding until DJI gets off its butt to fix the issue. This certainly won’t help for the instances where the DP wants to fly, but like I said earlier that is only occasionally.
You are 100% correct. However you can get the shot. Give the fixed/follow a try. Like I said, the modes seem imperfect to me in terms of losing center frame or whatever your composure point is.

For gods sake readers stop pandering to this guy! It's posts like this that really piss me off. This is the stereotypical definition of a bad workmen who always blames his tools. When you look at this issue analytically there is a very simple solution!

While yes DJI do have a issue with gimbal drift but it isn't unsurmountable! Stop being such a tight ward and trying to do everything yourself.

This problem is easily resolved by stop trying to do everything yourself and hire a second person to act as your cameraman. If your reputation is on the line here and you are working with a top director hire a film student from your local university and pay them minimum wage to act as a cameraman

For gods sake readers stop pandering to this guy! It's posts like this that really piss me off. This is the stereotypical definition of a bad workmen who always blames his tools. When you look at this issue analytically there is a very simple solution!

While yes DJI do have a issue with gimbal drift but it isn't unsurmountable! Stop being such a tight ward and trying to do everything yourself.

This problem is easily resolved by stop trying to do everything yourself and hire a second person to act as your cameraman. If your reputation is on the line here and you are working with a top director hire a film student from your local university and pay them minimum wage to act as a cameraman
Wow. Someone needs a nap! Pandering? It was friendly discourse until you showed up.
Of course a second operator would have helped, so would a Matrice flying an Arri Alexa. But, assuming that you have experience working in the industry (sounds like you don’t) budgets aren’t always sugar and spice and everything nice. I was brought on as crew, like everyone else by a producer that was hiring a single pilot. If I was asked by the producer if I needed extra personnel (cause they always do that) of course I would have done so, but that my grumpy friend is not always reality. Sometimes you just need to do the best with what you have. I get better by speaking with peers and hearing from others that might have helpful input. Apparently your valuable input is that I am a douche bag that should be drummed out of the industry. I’m sorry that my thread has urked you so and sincerely wish you a nice Saturday.

Just wondering if Autopilot would work? If I know the shot a wee bit in advance I can set it up with Autopilot. You can program the flight and/or the camera gimbal, so you can have the focus of your camera change mid shot from an actor to another subject.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rdavis103