Welcome Matrice Pilots!
Join our free DJI Matrice community today!

Balancing Lenses

Reaction score
So, I grabbed a 45mm for my X5R last week and ran into the usual balancing problem. With the X5R, it's very back heavy so the lens wants to point upwards. I looked into other people's solutions including buying large lens hoods, taping pound coins to the top or using blu-tak etc but didn't like these options.

I'm sharing my solution just in case anybody else is in the same boat as I was and can't deal with the less pretty remedies.

I purchased a step up ring so that my 46mm polar pro filters would be usable on the 37mm threaded 45mm lens. I had hoped this may balance it...
The step up ring and filter were not heavy enough to balance the lens, so I added the 15mm DJI lens balance ring between the two. Too heavy.

I figured for the X5R, I needed to add 17g of weight to the front of the 45mm lens to balance it perfectly. The polar pro filters are ~ 6g, so that's 11g that I need to add somehow in a usable, neat way.

I took the step up ring and 15mm balance ring, screwed them together and made a full silicone mold of them. Including threads etc. Once removed from the mold, I mixed up some clear resin and then added 10g of iron powder to it, allowing 1g for the resin (In reality I calculated this more carefully, I figured how many ml the mold would take first, then the weight of the relevant ml in resin and deducted the ml equivalent of 10g iron powder) Then syringed this into the mold.
The resulting piece screws straight onto the front of the 45mm lens due to keeping the thread detail in the mold and allows different ND filters to be screwed onto the front of it, whilst balancing perfectly.

Obviously, this works with polar pro filters. If you use different filters then you would have to account their weight. I made a second unit, with more iron powder, to make it 17g in weight without a filter so that I can also balance the lens without a filter.

I know this sounds like a lot of work in writing but it's really quite simple and solves the problem very well whilst looking like you purchased a clean, purpose built solution. Important to people like me who cannot deal with a bit of Blu-tak, or a coin taped to the front of the unit.

Just thought I'd share...

Sent from my iPad using InspirePilots

Reactions: BirdsEyeUAS
Ok, I'll have to get more pics of the resin mixing/casting at a different date if I make another, but here's some pics.

First image is step up ring and dji 15mm lens balance ring. This is the orientation that I sat it in a small square box to contain the silicone for the mold.

Second image is after demolding the ring once the silicone had cured ( I use Smooth-On Mold Star 30 Silicone, very good stuff!)
The third image just shows the detail in the mold.

Fourth image shows the iron powder/resin cast piece with polar pro filter screwed onto the front, next to the original aluminium piece.

Fifth image just a close up of the cast piece with filter attached. It doesn't show well in the pics, but this just looks like real cast iron. It needs polishing. There is some pitting where I rushed the molding process, but I initially intended this to just be a tester. Pitting makes it look even more like cast metal though.

Last image is it attached to the X5R. Screws on and off wonderfully.

03cfa8940584ae6da8be758c23dcaec9.jpg
93f2f65d4d73e0124298f974f11ca712.jpg
8603af5d37150a2ebfa1d54702494189.jpg
3486754e5760b4be58832a81734f3a5c.jpg
4a8cef17b606c2717f4cb18091b0374a.jpg
9924a693d9c18c4ff329b460bf827bd3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using InspirePilots

Thanks for posting those - that's a very elegant solution.

I didn't think it would be possible to mold the threads so precisely.

What would you charge to make another from that mold?

Hi Plingboot, sorry I haven't replied in a while. Haven't had time to browse.
I can produce another for you from this mold. No problem. I must tell you that the inside of the ring is not as pretty. As I said, this was just a test mold, and so I didn't take too much care, so there were a few air bubbles in the silicone. Invisible when attached though.
PM me to discuss further.
I'll need to know if it is for the X5 or the X5R. Mine is for the X5R, which has a heavier back end than the X5, and so requires different weight. Also, I based my weight around using the polar pro filters.

Sent from my iPad using InspirePilots

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LangeJens