Welcome Matrice Pilots!
Join our free DJI Matrice community today!

USA 333 Processing Recommendations.

Reaction score
Hi there. Been lurking these forums since they started. A lot of helpful insightful individuals here and because of this I purchased an Inspire about a month ago.

Anyways, I am looking to get into the photography/videography business and was hoping I could get some recommendations for processing a 333 exemption. Any reputable companies you can suggest?

Also, I signed up for private pilot lessons mainly to be in compliance for commercial work with my Inspire. I'm just concerned the FAA will come out with some new regulations where having a PPL isn't necessary. 90% of the reason for me getting a PPL is for my business. Anyone else in the same boat? Should I just hold off for a bit?

Thanks for chiming in.

Write your own 333. It is very simple if you follow one of the templates already approved. They are online here or here.The instructions are here.
The exemption applications are processed in the order they are received. Having a lawyer complete your application will not guarantee faster processing...It's your decision, if you have the $$ then go for it. The FAA has said they are trying to complete the UAS Operator certificate process this year but who knows? I don't think anyone can answer whether you should get your PPL now or wait...

Reactions: AerialPerceptions
Write your own 333. It is very simple if you follow one of the templates already approved. They are online here or here.The instructions are here.
The exemption applications are processed in the order they are received. Having a lawyer complete your application will not guarantee faster processing...It's your decision, if you have the $$ then go for it. The FAA has said they are trying to complete the UAS Operator certificate process this year but who knows? I don't think anyone can answer whether you should get your PPL now or wait...

Thank you very much for your input.

Hi there. Been lurking these forums since they started. A lot of helpful insightful individuals here and because of this I purchased an Inspire about a month ago.

Anyways, I am looking to get into the photography/videography business and was hoping I could get some recommendations for processing a 333 exemption. Any reputable companies you can suggest?

Also, I signed up for private pilot lessons mainly to be in compliance for commercial work with my Inspire. I'm just concerned the FAA will come out with some new regulations where having a PPL isn't necessary. 90% of the reason for me getting a PPL is for my business. Anyone else in the same boat? Should I just hold off for a bit?

Thanks for chiming in.

I'm merely talking in favor of getting your PPL, right now is the time to do it, gas is cheap and my instructor is only charging $150/hr including fuel and instruction. You'll learn way more than you would normally about airspace and have a greater appreciation for why they say stay away from airports. I'm not sure what the rules are changing to, but I think all commercial UAS operators should have at least Private, possibly Instrument. Just my 2 cents.

Austin

Reactions: SanCap
You can easily search for licensed pilots or my own 333 exemption here Authorizations Granted Via Section 333 Exemptions by using a few key words from our posts. Then substitute your info where it belongs. I would suggest that you add as many different UAV's that you can. Amending your 333 to add more will waste time in getting your approval. I have had a pilots license since 1982 and am glad I received it. I would have to think long and hard if I had to get one for a 333 exemption, I am told by my local Flight Standards District Office (FSDO) that the new regulations will be out by June 2016.

I'm merely talking in favor of getting your PPL, right now is the time to do it, gas is cheap and my instructor is only charging $150/hr including fuel and instruction. You'll learn way more than you would normally about airspace and have a greater appreciation for why they say stay away from airports. I'm not sure what the rules are changing to, but I think all commercial UAS operators should have at least Private, possibly Instrument. Just my 2 cents.

Austin

That is a point and I did not think of it. You can check your local Avgas prices here AirNav: Local Fuel Prices

Reactions: AerialPerceptions

Austin

Appreciate this very much. I have already enrolled in a school here in the Oklahoma City area (Oklahoma Aviation). They are charging me roughly $260 for one hour rental and instructions. Man, $150 sounds a lot better! Where are you getting your instructions from?

I got my private and instrument back in 2010, but I just talked with my instructor yesterday and his current rate is $150 everything included. His name is David Quist and he owns Coastal Planes Aviation in Lake Jackson, TX. That would be quite a drive for you!

Austin

You can easily search for licensed pilots or my own 333 exemption here Authorizations Granted Via Section 333 Exemptions by using a few key words from our posts. Then substitute your info where it belongs. I would suggest that you add as many different UAV's that you can. Amending your 333 to add more will waste time in getting your approval. I have had a pilots license since 1982 and am glad I received it. I would have to think long and hard if I had to get one for a 333 exemption, I am told by my local Flight Standards District Office (FSDO) that the new regulations will be out by June 2016.
June 2016 is what an FAA staff from the FAA UAS Integration office told attendees at a workshop in Arizona recently. It is likely to be just a written exam. The FAA doesn't have enough examiners to handle manned pilot flight check rides now, I doubt they'll have staff to come out and watch you fly your UAV.

Reactions: SanCap
June 2016 is what an FAA staff from the FAA UAS Integration office told attendees at a workshop in Arizona recently. It is likely to be just a written exam. The FAA doesn't have enough examiners to handle manned pilot flight check rides now, I doubt they'll have staff to come out and watch you fly your UAV.

I hope they will have a way to grandfather current pilots.

Currently FAA certificates pilots? I would hope so. My guess, and it's just that, is that certificated pilots will be allowed to continue flying commercially just like we do now under the 333 and if a certificated pilot wants to add the UAV endorsement to his license then he takes the exam. Sort of like adding an instrument or seaplane rating to your ticket.

I can see that option for manned aircraft pilots who are done flying but want to operate UAVs commercially. No medical or biannual flight reviews to pay for...

Currently FAA certificates pilots? I would hope so. My guess, and it's just that, is that certificated pilots will be allowed to continue flying commercially just like we do now under the 333 and if a certificated pilot wants to add the UAV endorsement to his license then he takes the exam. Sort of like adding an instrument or seaplane rating to your ticket.

I can see that option for manned aircraft pilots who are done flying but want to operate UAVs commercially. No medical or biannual flight reviews to pay for...

I have a Pilots license but I took my Biannual flight review in a Light Sport aircraft so no 3rd class medical was needed. I still have to do the biannual every 2 years.

Reactions: PAEROS
I got my private and instrument back in 2010, but I just talked with my instructor yesterday and his current rate is $150 everything included. His name is David Quist and he owns Coastal Planes Aviation in Lake Jackson, TX. That would be quite a drive for you!

Austin
I hope to take my check-ride for my private pilot certificate next Wednesday (was supposed to be today but rained out. . . .) I have learned in a Cessna 162 - a light sport two-seat SEL aircraft. The plane rental is $99/hour (wet) and my instructor charges $65/hour. I fly out of KMQY in Smyrna, TN (just outside Nashville).

Appreciate all the info and help. Awesome community and I am glad to be a part of it.

I've seen a few posts about members offering to do a 333 exemption submission. Anyone willing to do it for me for a reasonable price?

Everything I have heard from some pretty reliable sources is that the .333 waiver will be reduced to a written exam. Why would I want to spend all the time and money it takes to get a pilot's license?

Austin
Ah yes flying a drone is just like flying a plane

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctfulgham