Welcome Matrice Pilots!
Join our free DJI Matrice community today!

X5R on OSMO Notes

Reaction score
Just got my OSMO X5/R adapter and upgraded my X5R to the new FW.

First observations:

1) The fan noise of the X5R if bumped at all is really nasty. Turning the camera upside down for a minute (it's natural orientation when mounted in flight) makes it stop. Repeat.

2) Due to #1 there's just no way to get usable audio with a mic within 5 feet of this thing. So I picked up a RemovU Bluetooth mic. The base is only a few grams, I've mounted it with a piece of 3M Dual Lock on the back of the iPhone mount where it fits nicely. The mic can be placed a good distance away for good audio without any gimbal or fan noise.

3) The whole setup is on the heavy side for sure. I wish I could take off the heavy side dual accessories connector that attaches with a swinging arm. It's added weight and unnecessary for me. Tried with a flathead screwdriver but didn't work.

4) This setup seems and feels VERY fragile. A wrong bump or touch and it feels like it could irreparably damage the gimbal very quickly. Definitely gives me pause before mounting it on a bike or car.

5) The joystick still feels unnecessarily clunky in its movements to me. Stair steps instead of smooth escalator.

6) The video quality is, as with aerial shots is awesome. Just be prepared for the "4K RAW tax" :)

7) See #1. I started to disassemble the X5R top cover plates around the double external fans to see if I could fix the abrasion that's happening but stopped when I realized it wasn't just a few screws. But from what I can tell the two little fans can touch the side wig their enclosure when the unit is upside down on the OSMO vs mounted upright on the aircraft. I suspect DJI will correct this kid-production but I'd sure like to know how tiger in there and fix it myself quickly. It's really loud when it happens and I suspect the abrasion isn't doing any good for the little fan motors either.

That's it for now. Need to get out and get some footage. I definitely look forward to being able to finally mix high quality 4K ground and aerial shots in videos. A whole new world of possibilities awaits.

d9bd7206b786711d3ed8eddef8554a88.jpg
bc923a38303455db1715d3d42519e19d.jpg

Last edited:
Hey Damon

Checking some test footage after previous OSMO RAW FW update (only checked the SD card data previously) and the RAW data was mirrored and purple, after freaking and checking, did the latest 4/5 FW update this morning and its all good... phew... but can you also confirm that there seems to be no Panorama option for the X5R?

Also noticed settings in Shutter/Aperture/Manual etc seemed to be a little slow to process... but will check these further with the new update.

Keep up the great info, been following your posts heaps, much appreciated :)

Reactions: damoncooper
Just an update after speaking to DJI, OSMO X5R Panorama is not available at present, but expected to be with future FW updates.

Reactions: damoncooper
Got my X5 adapter finally, now i need to update firmware on my X5r to work with the osmo. Currently it turns on fine however i get no video signal to my phone. I can however control all the camera settings and hit record.

So can anyone confirm that upgrading OSMO RAW Firmware v1.1.0.10 will not have any negative issues with me using my x5r on my inspire?

Not sure what the inspire is running off the top of my head firmware wise, i dont think its the latest version however..

Got my X5 adapter finally, now i need to update firmware on my X5r to work with the osmo. Currently it turns on fine however i get no video signal to my phone. I can however control all the camera settings and hit record.

So can anyone confirm that upgrading OSMO RAW Firmware v1.1.0.10 will not have any negative issues with me using my x5r on my inspire?

Not sure what the inspire is running off the top of my head firmware wise, i dont think its the latest version however..
Yes it's fine. You have to update the X5R on the OSMO and the X5R then works fine on the Inspire

Another Osmo note to add...

I tried a z-axis with the x5 and x5r. Both are definitely too heavy for the z-axis to be effective.

Supposedly there is a z-axis in the pipeline that will support these cameras, but no known release date.

There are some hacks posted around where folks manipulate the spring to support the camera, but the other issue is that with the x5 adapter the "rosette clamps" don't line up, and so the whole weight of the camera is solely on the camera mount. Probably not a good idea long term.

I am getting frustrated x5r works on my inspire great put it on the osmo with adapter it works but hasn't updated the firmware - does it need to as it works it just says firmware not available in the about section? I sthere any trick to updating the firmware on the x5r its on the sd card tried it multiple ways multiple computers mac and pc and nothing?

Also anyone know how to update an x3 camera without the bird? keep getting a firmware upgrade error on my new x3 camera Thanks

I am getting frustrated x5r works on my inspire great put it on the osmo with adapter it works but hasn't updated the firmware - does it need to as it works it just says firmware not available in the about section? I sthere any trick to updating the firmware on the x5r its on the sd card tried it multiple ways multiple computers mac and pc and nothing?

Also anyone know how to update an x3 camera without the bird? keep getting a firmware upgrade error on my new x3 camera Thanks

You need to put the latest Osmo firmware onto the X5R

Hey Damon

Checking some test footage after previous OSMO RAW FW update (only checked the SD card data previously) and the RAW data was mirrored and purple, after freaking and checking, did the latest 4/5 FW update this morning and its all good... phew... but can you also confirm that there seems to be no Panorama option for the X5R?

Also noticed settings in Shutter/Aperture/Manual etc seemed to be a little slow to process... but will check these further with the new update.

Keep up the great info, been following your posts heaps, much appreciated :)
>>>>>>

I am a new X5r user (bought the inspire 1 raw kit + osmo) and am doing some initial testing....first I could not get a picture to display in-app, but then after updating firmware to the latest all worked well. Unfortunately I am having the purple data issue for any of the master files I look at in CineLight. (here is a post I created with screen shot and video sample
Strange Color / Videos Not Working on Brand New X5R + Cinelight !?). Tried updating my OS x to latest and reformatting SSD, but no dice. Any suggestions!? Super frustrating as I leave for a 12 day filming expedition tomorrow and I don't need dead weight if this thing isn't going to work!

THX!
Dave
www.youtube.com/dhuting

I had the purple data issue the other day on a mag, a mix of both osmo and inspire. Only the osmo stuff was purple (im guessing this is normal?)

I exported it out of cinelight and it all loaded up fine in resolve, No purple.

I had the purple data issue the other day on a mag, a mix of both osmo and inspire. Only the osmo stuff was purple (im guessing this is normal?)

I exported it out of cinelight and it all loaded up fine in resolve, No purple.
Thanks for that info. Did you render as the DNG sequence or what format? I did a render to ProRes422 HQ and it was still purple :oops:

My normal workflow is just editing straight in Premiere Pro from the raw file....its a shame you can't just drag/drop clips off the SSD like most other cameras! Thanks for the help Joe!

Anyone having issues with the purple hue in your CineLight, updating the app fixed it for me!

Dump question, has anyone tried to put chopper heatsinks instead of the noise fans or is this not working?

I updated to the latest firmware about 6 months ago when I got my X5R, absolutelly no problems

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RomanChrz