Welcome Matrice Pilots!
Join our free DJI Matrice community today!

X5 Help Needed Please

Reaction score
hi Guys and Gals, new to this forum so please cut me a bit of slack. I am looking to buy a drone over the next few weeks. I plan to use it to do some Ariel and otherwise awkward shots of property. I also intend to do a bit of video of the same but would say the ratio would be 70/30 in favour of stills. I am a bit disappointed with the shots I've seen so far from the X5 and someone pointed me in the direction of the Yuneek H920 with the Panasonic camera. I really want to buy the X5 as I love the look and build quality but will be selling on a quality basis. I'm a qualified "real" helicopter pilot and have always used my Digital Nikons for the ariel work so don't want to drop the quality. Will it get better, will I be stuck post processing to get decent results and finally, I was shooting a house the other day in a place called Strathaven near where I live in Scotland and on landing in a local field the altitude at ground level was 733ft. Would the X5 work here or not as its over 400ft. Apologies if these are daft questions. Your help and advice would be most appreciated. Thanks.

Hi there, my view is that the stills in the x5 will not be much worse than the panasonic camera in the Yuneec system. Video is better in that system as the bitrate is higher and possibly the sensor is better. So the stills might be a bit better on the Yuneec but I would doubt by much. To get pro stills you do need to have a real stills camera such as the Nikon you mentioned or Canon, Sony etc. As for the height issues, the inspire measures height from the location you start at so you can take off on top of a mountain and still fly up 500m max but you can go down from that mountain as far as you want, no limit. 400ft is the legal limit up but the Inspire will go 500m up.

What you are seeing image wise from the X5 is down to poor understanding of how the camera works. A lot of people are coming from the X3 which is a fixed focal length/Aperture camera and cannot be adjusted, these people are putting the X5 on and expecting it to act in the same way which it will not. This is more a camera/dslr and you need to have a understanding of photography to appreciate how to get the best out of the X5. People are just plonking it on and taking stills in f1.4 or f2.8 etc and then complaining it all looks soft and unfocused. As you have camera knowledge you will have a better understanding of how it works.

What you are seeing image wise from the X5 is down to poor understanding of how the camera works. A lot of people are coming from the X3 which is a fixed focal length/Aperture camera and cannot be adjusted, these people are putting the X5 on and expecting it to act in the same way which it will not. This is more a camera/dslr and you need to have a understanding of photography to appreciate how to get the best out of the X5. People are just plonking it on and taking stills in f1.4 or f2.8 etc and then complaining it all looks soft and unfocused. As you have camera knowledge you will have a better understanding of how it works.
Very true but there is also the fact that the sensor is almost certainly not the same as the sensor in a GH4 or the Yuneec system and that will mean the X5 will never be quite as good as those cameras for stills, let alone video! i am happy with my X5, for me coming from pro video, the image is more filmic than the X3. my issue is the video feed not working well on IOS 9!

The x5 is great this is coming from a pro photographer.

This photo is compressed but shows good colour etc. Natively you can get a 12x9" @300dpi print without enlarging. I'm testing some prints tomo will report back.

Attachments

• Skynique_DJI_0108-2.jpg
    Skynique_DJI_0108-2.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 24
Beautiful shots of the autumn colors. I have used the X5 for a couple of real estate photo shoots in Maui and have had great results. Does it compare to my Canon 5D Mark III, hell no, but for the ease of use and how quickly I can be up and flying and packed up it is amazing!

Thanks for the comments Forrest. Maui is a long way from Scotland but I have managed to visit 3 times. Beautiful place.

Beautiful shots of the autumn colors. I have used the X5 for a couple of real estate photo shoots in Maui and have had great results. Does it compare to my Canon 5D Mark III, hell no, but for the ease of use and how quickly I can be up and flying and packed up it is amazing!
I have been really disappointed in the sharpness of my new X5 but after the last firmware update, it is great. Nice and sharp. Im actually a camera operator with experience shooting TVCs for 18 years. After the Phantom 3, I just couldn't believe the soft focus on the X5. Now Im happy. however to say it is not as good as a Canon Mark 3 is just not right. I have been using a mark 3 for 3 years and if the X5 is not as good then something is very wrong.

I think people underestimate the importance of 4K even from small sensors. When you down sample to 1080 the detail should destroy the 5d. To take this to an extreme here is an iPhone vs dslr: The iPhone 6s Takes Better Video Than My Professional Nikon DSLR | Fstoppers with that said I think Forrest is talking about stills and the 5d would perform much better than the x5 or any mft sensor.
I don't know. Its the quality from the x5 that made me order the new BM Ursa the other day. I have to be able to shoot 4K after seeing how great the footage is. I will downsize to 1080P but also compare the photos of my X5 Vs Mark 3. The Mark 3 has no dynamic range.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RomanChrz