Welcome Matrice Pilots!
Join our free DJI Matrice community today!

UK Thinking of taking flight assessment for 7-20kg class, anyone flying that class?

Reaction score
Website
www.eyeinskymedia.co.uk
At some point I'll be looking at investing in a larger UAV, with the capability of carrying a larger payload (DSLR, higher capacity batteries etc.). I know I'll have to take another flight assessment for the 7-20kg class which doesn't worry me too much. I done well on my 0-7kg class assessment so I'm hoping for the same with a heavier bird.

I've got a couple of questions though, hoping someone can answer? How do the big birds handle? I've heard people say the larger UAV's are more stable, which I can understand as they won't get slung around in the wind so much. Are they as responsive as the Inspire is?

Yes they are more stable, nimble as an inspire yes and as fast if you build / get the the right one

but once over 7kilos the limits kick in on distances and you have to call an ATC to let them know your flying etc.

As for another test i don't think you'll need it,
Add aircraft to ops manual.
just fill in the srg for heavier weight category and submit

Good news then! I was pretty sure we were told that if you wanted to move up in weight class that you had to be re-assessed with a UAV in that weight class? It'll save me a few bob :) I'm thinking of building the new UAV, I've built several 500 sized UAV's now and enjoyed the process as much as flying them.

I've met our local ATS manager, he invited me into the control tower for a meeting, I'm on their list of approved operators and he went through the procedures I have to follow so that's not a worry for me. One worry I do have is that as the kit starts getting more expensive that I'm flying, I tend to become a lot more conservative in my flying style, through fear of losing money and also fear of the earache I'd get from my missus :) When I took the Inspire out for it's maiden flight, going from a Phantom 3 Pro, I was as nervous as hell. Dread to think what I'll be like on the maiden with a heavy investment made on the UAV and the camera gear!!

I don't worry about the kit you see that big machine I'm squatting with.

That's 100k in the air. I didn't shake at all, it's just a monster :)

But back to next weight class stuff, the tests we do are for under 20kilos. CAA will accept it from what I understand.

Ha, I had a sweat on with £2k never mind £100k! The nerves have never been bad enough to affect my performance other than taking it easy for the first few flights but on the maidens I do have a sigh of relief on landing :)

I emailed the CAA asking about the weight classes and re-testing but never got a reply, it's been a couple of weeks now.

I emailed the CAA asking about the weight classes and re-testing but never got a reply, it's been a couple of weeks now.
Good luck with that - I'm still waiting for responses to questions sent months ago!

Which NQE did you do your assessment with as they should be able to help.

Ive just completed and passed my ground school and just trying to resolve me ops manual and night flight ops before taking practical.

I was under the impression as long as your not changing type of aircraft, such as multi rotor to fixed ring or single rotor, that re-test isn't required. Only 0-7kg weight class, over 7<20kg air space permissions and >150m for congestion and over 20kg air worthiness etc?

Did you have any conversations with your ATC on contact method, such as VHF etc?

The only contact method he required was a mobile telephone number that someone could be contacted on. I told him it would be my observer who would assume responsibility for relaying instructions to me. My observer has a mobile specifically for that purpose. The last thing I want to be doing is taking calls mid-flight so this method works well for me and he was happy with that. The same mobile number is given to the landowner and client, in case of emergencies that could affect operational safety.

The full procedure I have to follow is to call a day or two in advance, let him know what my intentions are and where the proposed operational area will be. If I get permission then I have to call before commencing flight ops on the day just to let them know I'm operating as planned. If the flight gets scrubbed for any reason I also have to call and update. If they need to contact me to give instruction, they will call on the dedicated number I have for my observer. My observer then relays any instructions to me. I did ask about radio comms, he said it was overkill. Doncaster airport isn't out in the sticks so mobile reception shouldn't be an issue. I only have to give notice to the local ATCU if I intend to operate in their controlled airspace. I've not had to yet, but there are large parts of my town that are under controlled airspace so I wouldn't think it will be too long before I do.

Thats useful to know - i wonder if different airfields / ATC will give different advice on their requirements - it would be interesting to see if people have had other requirements (UK based)

I've got my 0-7kg flight test & ground school done etc, but to fly 7-20kg my NQE has stated I must do another flight test on that type as well as a 7-20kg rated specific planning exercise.

Anyone else done this?

The CAA have removed the 2 tier pricing so now its sub 20 kilos only.

So how do they justify a 2nd test ?

Reactions: HV_Sparks
The CAA have removed the 2 tier pricing so now its sub 20 kilos only.

So how do they justify a 2nd test ?

A very good question indeed - need to get clarification ASAP as we'll be heading down on Sunday (5 1/2hr drive) specifically to do the 7-20kg flight test on the Monday.

7-20kg test cancelled due weather, but for info it is a CAA requirement to pass a subsequent flight test for 7-20kg having spoken to the CAA UAV Dept.

but for info it is a CAA requirement to pass a subsequent flight test for 7-20kg having spoken to the CAA UAV Dept.
Can you quote that from anywhere - as I was under the impression as long as the aircraft type was the same this wasn't needed - for example Quad copter / Hexacopter would be fine, a HEAVY!! eBee (for example) would need a test as a fixed wring compared?

Hi,

Having spoken to the CAA's UAV Dept, they verbally advised I would need the NQE's recommendation to fly the larger aircraft (DJI M600 Pro in this instance) and that is only achievable with a flight test, either with that type or similar weighted hexacopter. I spoke to another NQE too and they were in agreement that if I am already qualified on an Inspire1, i'd need to pass another flight test for the M600.

Sorry I don't have a quote in black & white to offer, but if you are still unsure give the CAA a call for the ultimate clarification.

Regards.

Thanks for that - Ill check again with my NQE as with your example I thought moving from a Phantom - Inspire 1 - M600 was fine as multi rotor - and not fixed wing

Up to 7Kg is one class. If you want heavier (7-20Kg) adding, then you need a flight test on that weight class from an NQE. It's nothing to do with the number of motors.

If however, you originally took your NQE's flight test on a 7-20Kg class airframe, then the sub 7Kg is automatically included. (ie the test is taken to be 0-20Kg).

Reactions: HV_Sparks

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LangeJens