Welcome Matrice Pilots!
Join our free DJI Matrice community today!

UK Take off / Landing area set up

Reaction score
Hi folks, I've got my flight assessment tomorrow with Resource Group and I'm just going over everything today, trying to leave nothing to chance. I've got a quick question for anyone who's already done it or who's planing to do it shortly, regarding your take off area set up.
In my FRC's I've stated that no personnel should be within 7m of the UAV when taking off or landing. When setting up my site I normally place cones in a rough circle aprox 7m from the take off mat at the centre. (14m diameter). I've not been using hazard tape or any other form of barrier at the take off site as anyone who is near that area would be under my control. Does that sound correct? Have I missed anything? I will have signs up at any public access points.
Cheers.

Hi folks, I've got my flight assessment tomorrow with Resource Group and I'm just going over everything today, trying to leave nothing to chance. I've got a quick question for anyone who's already done it or who's planing to do it shortly, regarding your take off area set up.
In my FRC's I've stated that no personnel should be within 7m of the UAV when taking off or landing. When setting up my site I normally place cones in a rough circle aprox 7m from the take off mat at the centre. (14m diameter). I've not been using hazard tape or any other form of barrier at the take off site as anyone who is near that area would be under my control. Does that sound correct? Have I missed anything? I will have signs up at any public access points.
Cheers.
Relax - your instructors will be deemed under your control. It's good practice just to verbally confirm this with them which they will like.
Good luck.

Reactions: turramin
Nailed it :D
Well, not quite nailed it but I managed to pass, had a few areas that need work, mainly a bit more detail in my pre-deployment surveys and I messed up my explanation of the Inspire status indicator light sequence when calibrating the compass, but overall I was happy with my performance. Now........Ops manual :D

Well done @turramin :).
I always think it's a weird order of things for certain NQE's that do the flight assessment before the ops manual.
A more logical approach (and practical) is to do your ground school, followed by the exam. Then do your ops manual and finally your flight assessment. After all, your checklists and all procedures should come before going up in the air so it makes sense to be tested on those as part of the practical examination/flight test.
In any case - well done.

Reactions: FlyPro and turramin
Well done @turramin :).
I always think it's a weird order of things for certain NQE's that do the flight assessment before the ops manual.
A more logical approach (and practical) is to do your ground school, followed by the exam. Then do your ops manual and finally your flight assessment. After all, your checklists and all procedures should come before going up in the air so it makes sense to be tested on those as part of the practical examination/flight test.
In any case - well done.
Resource Group do require you to have your FRCs ready for review before and to be followed during the practical flight assessment. It is the Vol 1 (organisational) that is the prepared for PFAW submission.

Resource Group do require you to have your FRCs ready for review before and to be followed during the practical flight assessment. It is the Vol 1 (organisational) that is the prepared for PFAW submission.
Still think it's weird. :p
To me, your procedures should be scribed and accepted first and THEN you can be tested on them at time of assessment.
I guess all NQE's do things slightly differently but at the end of day they all reach a common goal and end result (oh except EuroUSC who thinks BNUC-s is the most sought after qualification on the planet and puts you on par with Stephen Hawkin for cognitive ability - and they will charge you a lot more for it to prove that's the case :p)

Still think it's weird. :p
To me, your procedures should be scribed and accepted first and THEN you can be tested on them at time of assessment.
I guess all NQE's do things slightly differently but at the end of day they all reach a common goal and end result (oh except EuroUSC who thinks BNUC-s is the most sought after qualification on the planet and puts you on par with Stephen Hawkin for cognitive ability - and they will charge you a lot more for it to prove that's the case :p)
I learned a great deal during and after the flight assessment that I was able to correct and update prior to CAA submission. It works but, as you say, it is the end goal that counts.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctfulgham