Welcome Matrice Pilots!
Join our free DJI Matrice community today!

Side by side comparison of X5 and X3

Reaction score
I was able to procure an Inspire Pro today for a test along with my Inspire 1 X3.

After doing exhaustive tests with both, I came to the conclusion that the X5, as expected, did not look any better on my 58 Inch 4K TV than my X3.
Both Video and stills.
The fact remains, the micro SD card in both machines is limited to 8 bit 4:2:0 recording CS.
For TV or web viewing they look exactly the same. The only advantages to the X5 I can see is more sensitivity and a tighter focal length, if one needed that. And that's it.
If I was to upgrade, only the X5R would I consider and even then, do I really need RAW recording? Only if I"m shooting a movie and my footage will be used as an aerial of James Bond chasing a bad guy for instance. Anything other than that, the X3 is perfect.

My question to DJI, please come out with a new camera that can record on a regular size SD card with about a 150 mb/sec recording capability and 4:2:2 CS for 4K.
A firmware upgrade for both the X3 and X5 to 100 mb/sec would be very nice too!
Having said that, it will be difficult to see the difference anyway but people will want it.
My next question is, will the X5 be upgradable to the X5R?

Reactions: Burlingtonfilms
Thanks for posting this. I currently own the Inspire 1 version D with X3 and wasn't very enthused about the first X5 videos I watched. In the past week I've seen a few good ones with the Olympus 25mm and 45mm lenses... In my opinion it's worth purchasing the X5 strictly based on the fact that you can change lenses. Coming from a Phantom 1 / 2 / GoPro user I've seen enough wide angled aerials! Just my 2 cents.

The MicroSD card is not the problem. Even the slower MicroSD cads can sustain write speeds of 30 megabytes/second, or 240 megabits second (Fastest Micro SD Card Shootout! – Samsung vs. Sony vs. SanDisk! | HighOnAndroid.com).

And while a higher bit rate and 4:2:2 color would be nice upgrades, I can't see how you conclude that X5 video doesn't look any better than X3 video. I have had an X3 and an X5 since each was released, and the X5 consistently produces a much better image. The improvement is not as big as it should be, but we are still very early in DJI's firmware learning curve.

It's not an ARRI Alexa, so I'm not sure why video quality on your 58-inch 4K TV is the standard by which you measure its quality. But the X5 is definitely better than the X3.

The MicroSD card is not the problem. Even the slower MicroSD cads can sustain write speeds of 30 megabytes/second, or 240 megabits second (Fastest Micro SD Card Shootout! – Samsung vs. Sony vs. SanDisk! | HighOnAndroid.com).

And while a higher bit rate and 4:2:2 color would be nice upgrades, I can't see how you conclude that X5 video doesn't look any better than X3 video. I have had an X3 and an X5 since each was released, and the X5 consistently produces a much better image. The improvement is not as big as it should be, but we are still very early in DJI's firmware learning curve.

It's not an ARRI Alexa, so I'm not sure why video quality on your 58-inch 4K TV is the standard by which you measure its quality. But the X5 is definitely better than the X3.

In your opinion. The X5 is a better camera, yes!
But for practical reasons, no. It is awkward when focusing. Still limited to 60 mb/sec 4K recording. 420 CS. Same specs as the X3.
Certainly not worth the upgrade price. I would say wait until the Spring when a better camera recording option will be offered without breaking the bank on an X5R or X5.

The myriad of lenses available now that work for the X5 is a game changer. X3 is fine for me right now but I can see me going for this just to get the 45 mm lens for inspections in the not too distant future. The choosing criteria of the X5 is about more than the image quality imo.

The myriad of lenses available now that work for the X5 is a game changer. X3 is fine for me right now but I can see me going for this just to get the 45 mm lens for inspections in the not too distant future. The choosing criteria of the X5 is about more than the image quality imo.

For this application, I can see why the X5 would work. Keep in mind though, you are still getting only 420 CS and 8 bit recording and 60 mb/sec like the X3.
If you think paying an additional $2000.00 is worth it, then all the power to you. You can always swing the Inspire a bit closer to make up for the focal length distance.

I'm sure DJI will have another camera for the Inspire soon with a full size SD card.

For this application, I can see why the X5 would work. Keep in mind though, you are still getting only 420 CS and 8 bit recording and 60 mb/sec like the X3.
If you think paying an additional $2000.00 is worth it, then all the power to you. You can always swing the Inspire a bit closer to make up for the focal length distance.

I'm sure DJI will have another camera for the Inspire soon with a full size SD card.
It wouldn't take to many jobs to earn it's keep. In this sector it's not really a lot of money for the gains in more business.

Purely 'Swinging closer' for close shot is a reckless and extremely irresponsible poor substitute for a longer lens, compromising aircraft and subject safety and risking insurance deductible in the process.

Going by your previous posts you seem to have it in for the X5. Seems a bit of a drum you beat. However the market will tell. Most will not buy it on a whim but assess carefully and make a decision for genuine preferential reasons particular to the operators real needs. At least that's my process.

It wouldn't take to many jobs to earn it's keep. In this sector it's not really a lot of money for the gains in more business.

Purely 'Swinging closer' for close shot is a reckless and extremely irresponsible poor substitute for a longer lens, compromising aircraft and subject safety and risking insurance deductible in the process.

Going by your previous posts you seem to have it in for the X5. Seems a bit of a drum you beat. However the market will tell. Most will not buy it on a whim but assess carefully and make a decision for genuine preferential reasons particular to the operators real needs. At least that's my process.

This is where good pilots shine over poor pilots. If you are a good pilot, you should be able to at least come in a little closer, maybe not as much as say with the X5 but I'm just saying, with a little skill, one can perform a lot with the X3.
Don't forget, if you shoot in 4K and your finished product is only HD, you can "zoom" in 4 times in post to get your HD image close up with no loss of HD resolution.

This is where good pilots shine over poor pilots. If you are a good pilot, you should be able to at least come in a little closer, maybe not as much as say with the X5 but I'm just saying, with a little skill, one can perform a lot with the X3.
Don't forget, if you shoot in 4K and your finished product is only HD, you can "zoom" in 4 times in post to get your HD image close up with no loss of HD resolution.

Yeah, so, there is nobody better than you to to educate the rest of us and telling us what we already know and how to make business decisions pertaining an individual business you know nothing personally about?

It's funny when someone doesn't appreciate a good discussion they resort to blowing their own trumpet and patronise everyone else because in reality they have backed themselves into a corner and feel the need to save face.

Sad really when a self proclaimed expert calls another a poor pilot because he will not compromise safety. Bad argument.

I'm ending my part in this right here. I made my point and stand by it. No doubt you will want, and have the last word.

This discussion had dipped downwards, fast.

Reactions: Djalma Ribeiro
Yeah, so, there is nobody better than you to to educate the rest of us and telling us what we already know and how to make business decisions pertaining an individual business you know nothing personally about?

It's funny when someone doesn't appreciate a good discussion they resort to blowing their own trumpet and patronise everyone else because in reality they have backed themselves into a corner and feel the need to save face.

Sad really when a self proclaimed expert calls another a poor pilot because he will not compromise safety. Bad argument.

I'm ending my part in this right here. I made my point and stand by it. No doubt you will want, and have the last word.

This discussion had dipped downwards, fast.

I never said you were a poor pilot,
I was just talking in general terms about flying the Inspire closer, within reason, to an object and in no way was I referencing you.
Perhaps you are a bad pilot after all then!

I agree, for close up work, the X5 would be a good choice. Let's leave the discussion at that.
I'm not commenting any more on this topic.

I guarantee you if we both went out together and shot the same thing, my photos, videos and 3D models (photogrammetry) I generate from the X5 would be better than your X3. On top of that, my equipment would look better for marketing and changeable lenses means I can get levels of detail you cant.

Everything you can do with your X3, I can do better with my X5. You lose every time :)

I guarantee you if we both went out together and shot the same thing, my photos, videos and 3D models (photogrammetry) I generate from the X5 would be better than your X3. On top of that, my equipment would look better for marketing and changeable lenses means I can get levels of detail you cant.

Everything you can do with your X3, I can do better with my X5. You lose every time :)

Clients aren't going to know the difference or even care whether you use an X5 or an X3. Stop kidding yourself.
What will impress them will be the Inspire itself regardless of what colour the blob underneath is.

I find it absolutely hilarious some folks on this site think they have a hugely improved camera. It is better as a camera, yes, but only marginally.
Enough already!

WOW

So much talk, but can anyone with a X3 and X5 put them on a table and record at the same time? Same settings, the same focal length as close as possible and same time of day.

I know there are people out there with both cameras. It could be shot in your backyard, it doesn't really matter.

I do mainly still work and there is an increase in image quality. There is also little to no distortion on the sides as it is with the X3. The dynamic range is better. There is less noise. Someone go ahead and say it...."you can just crop out the sides to eliminate the distortion." I'll pass on that and keep all of the image quality. I have owned both and have hours and hours of flight time on both. It's up to each person if it's worth the cost to upgrade. To me, it definitely was.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RomanChrz