Welcome Matrice Pilots!
Join our free DJI Matrice community today!

USA Section 333 Closed Set Operations

Reaction score
My company currently holds a 333 exemption and are now trying to file for a closed- set amendment to that exemption. Does anyone know how I go about requesting this amendment? Also, I know having a Motion Picture and Television Operations Manual (MPTOM) is required. Any suggestions as to what that format should look like? I very much appreciate any help I can get on this!

I think you would just file an amendment in the same manner you petitioned for your 333 amendment. Then you would need to create an operational manual something like this, http://www.h5media.com/Motion-Picture-Manual-2011-10-1.pdf

Thanks a lot, this is very helpful! From what other information I'm gathering, you are correct. Great example to use as well, much better than the 60 page versions I've been seeing. Again, I really appreciate your help.

I just got my exemption in and interesting enough it does not say that it is Not for closed set but It does say that I should have an Operations Manual. I applied for the following:
1.Real Estate
2.Aerial Photography / Videography / Cinematography
3.Search and Rescue
4.Television and Movie Productions
5.Internet Video Productions
6.News
7.Tower / Crop / Roof Inspections
Why specify Closed Set? I don't foresee any issues with my clients so I'm keeping it as is instead of trying to amend it for CS.

And it does say that the pic needs to have a pilot license Guess I'll have to get a sport pilot lic after all.

Reactions: SanCap
I just got my exemption in and interesting enough it does not say that it is Not for closed set but It does say that I should have an Operations Manual. I applied for the following:
1.Real Estate
2.Aerial Photography / Videography / Cinematography
3.Search and Rescue
4.Television and Movie Productions
5.Internet Video Productions
6.News
7.Tower / Crop / Roof Inspections
Why specify Closed Set? I don't foresee any issues with my clients so I'm keeping it as is instead of trying to amend it for CS.

And it does say that the pic needs to have a pilot license Guess I'll have to get a sport pilot lic after all.

What does your exemption say under Conditions and Limitations # 2 ?

What does your exemption say under Conditions and Limitations # 2 ?
2. If operations under this exemption involve the use of foreign civil aircraft,2 the operator must obtain a Foreign Aircraft Permit pursuant to 14 CFR § 375.41 prior to conducting any commercial air operations under the authority of this exemption. Application instructions are specified in 14 CFR § 375.43. Applications should be submitted by electronic mail to the DOT Office of International Aviation, Foreign Air Carrier Licensing Division. Additional information can be obtained at Foreign Air Carrier Economic Licensing.

Here is the part that talks about an operations manual:

For operations conducted closer than 500 feet to people directly participating in the intended purpose of the operation, not protected by barriers, the following additional conditions and limitations apply:

31. The operator must have an operations manual that contains at least the following items, although it is not restricted to these items.
a. Operator name, address, and telephone number.
b.Distribution and Revision. Procedures for revising and distributing the operations manual to ensure that it is kept current. Revisions must comply with the applicable conditions and limitations in this exemption.
c. Persons Authorized. Specify criteria for designating individuals as directly participating in the safe operation of the UAS. The operations manual must include procedures to ensure that all operations are conducted at distances from persons in accordance with the conditions and limitations of the exemption.
d.Plan of Activities. The operations manual must include procedures for the submission of a written plan of activities.
e. Permission to Operate. The operations manual shall specify requirements and procedures that the operator will use to obtain permission to operate over property or near vessels, vehicles, and structures in accordance with this exemption.
f. Security. The manual must specify the method of security that will be used to ensure the safety of nonparticipating persons. This should also include procedures that will be used to stop activities when unauthorized persons, vehicles, or aircraft enter the operations area, or for any other reason, in the interest of safety.
g. Briefing of persons directly participating in the intended operation. Procedures must be included to brief personnel and participating persons on the risks involved, emergency procedures, and safeguards to be followed during the operation.
h. Personnel directly participating in the safe operation of the UAS Minimum Requirements. In accordance with this exemption, the operator must specify the minimum requirements for all flight personnel in the operating manual. The PIC at a minimum will be required to meet the certification standards specified in this exemption.
i. Communications. The operations manual must contain procedures to provide communications capability with participants during the operation. The operator can use oral, visual, or radio communications as along as the participants are apprised of the current status of the operation.
j. Accident Notification. The operations manual must contain procedures for notification and reporting of accidents in accordance with this exemption.

In accordance with this exemption, the operating manual and all other operating documents must be accessible to the PIC during UAS operations.

The new exemptions blur the lines for closer than 500ft operations which is where the big distinction used to be. However, without an MPTOM and closed set use, many production companies / studios won't touch you. And technically, where there is ITC or full control of an area with film permits, etc. that gets "locked down", it's considered closed set.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RomanChrz