Welcome Matrice Pilots!
Join our free DJI Matrice community today!

Search and Rescue payload release.

Reaction score
Website
rtrudeauphotography.zenfolio.com
In a search and rescue scenario once the victim is found and is in need of temporary
first aid items or a communication device ( cell phone/walkie talkie) how could a device be dropped with a small payload to the victim until a SnR team could get to them.

My questions are:
1. Is there such a attachment available for quadcopters and if so could it be used on a Inspire?

2. How would the device be released with the payload attached with a Inspire transmitter?

p.s.
I did see this on You Tube video and sent them email a few weeks ago and have not received anything from them to date.
If this particular item is available I wonder how it could be married to the Inspire transmitter for release.

This is the website that makes this and as I said I emailed them and so far no response.

Payloader - Night edition
I am sure this small payload would be easy for the Inspire to carry.

Thanks for any input....

Last edited:
you would need separate transmitter/receiver hardware coupled to a servo/actuator that would control the opening/closing of the grip on whatever you wanted to drop, not likely to be accomplished through existing remote controller. certainly easily possible with a little technical know how though.

In a search and rescue scenario once the victim is found and is in need of temporary
first aid items or a communication device ( cell phone/walkie talkie) how could a device be dropped with a small payload to the victim until a SnR team could get to them.

My questions are:
1. Is there such a attachment available for quadcopters and if so could it be used on a Inspire?

2. How would the device be released with the payload attached with a Inspire transmitter?

p.s.
I did see this on You Tube video and sent them email a few weeks ago and have not received anything from them to date.
If this particular item is available I wonder how it could be married to the Inspire transmitter for release.

This is the website that makes this and as I said I emailed them and so far no response.

Payloader - Night edition
I am sure this small payload would be easy for the Inspire to carry.

Thanks for any input....
Unfortunately, it can't.
The Inspire is not the best platform for this kind of work. The TX/RX combination is a proprietary system that has the video embedded within the 2.4ghz data stream. There is no 'spare channel' as such for the end user to utilise.
You would be far better suited to use a self built system with some redundant channels available. It would then be a very simple matter of rigging upma release mechanism via servo mapped to a spare channel.
The other thing to keep in mind is that in a lot of countries, attaching ANYTHING to a multirotor and then releasing it is either illegal or will require special permissions for a specific drop.

Tend to have to agree, Inspires sexy looks are not really suited to the addition of any 'payload' or micro controller release type interface. I'm trying to develop a micro gps/gsm recovery module with a parachute and finding a few issues. A simple servo catch release is simple but reliability at range is an issue. I've dabbled with long range Bluetooth and found its possible but you have to keep in mind unless you want to see flight time drop you have to include an additional battery with the mechanics.

Suggestion is to hunt down a good hexa-copter+ kit add the bare minimum and some good motors with lifting capacity. Multi feature comms board with additional buttons and switches. Seriously a lot less hassle.

Good luck,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I checked with Ralph at FlyHigh and they have the same Stork system on their website but are developing something different. I think they are working on a smaller version of the drop system they have for an M600. He said its not quite ready to go. If you don't hear about it a different way, once I hear its out I'll make a post about it.

Reactions: chris swafford
I found a drop system made for the inspire. It uses the landing gear to release the payload.
Skyzimir - drone wear Looks like it runs about $100 on one of the dealer sites.

I have not got this myself but definently considering it.

Our agency just got this one and it seems to work just fine on the Inspire1. Can't beat the price and it is mechanical and not electronic requiring an extra TX/RX. This is super easy to install.

I have the Stork system that I got from Ralph at SkyHigh. Basically it is like a rod and fork that clamp onto the landing gear of an Inspire and cross when the gear is down and hold the bag; you put the gear into manual mode so that it doesn't raise on takeoff. You hang the bag from the crossed rod/fork, and raise the gear to drop the bag. Might be just the thing you want.

Part 107.23(b) just says that you can't "Allow an object to be dropped from a small unmanned aircraft in a manner that creates an undue hazard to persons or property." Presumably when you drop a life saving sack to SAR subjects you will not create an undue hazard, so you won''t need a waiver.

I have the Stork system that I got from Ralph at SkyHigh. Basically it is like a rod and fork that clamp onto the landing gear of an Inspire and cross when the gear is down and hold the bag; you put the gear into manual mode so that it doesn't raise on takeoff. You hang the bag from the crossed rod/fork, and raise the gear to drop the bag. Might be just the thing you want.

Part 107.23(b) just says that you can't "Allow an object to be dropped from a small unmanned aircraft in a manner that creates an undue hazard to persons or property." Presumably when you drop a life saving sack to SAR subjects you will not create an undue hazard, so you won''t need a waiver.

It is correct that you don't need a waiver to safely drop an object in SAR, but we put it in our COA anyway just to cover the bases as we also did with night flights which are not covered.

Reactions: boefinator
I found a drop system made for the inspire. It uses the landing gear to release the payload.
Skyzimir - drone wear Looks like it runs about $100 on one of the dealer sites.

I have not got this myself but definently considering it.

I used this one on the Inspire 1 V2 and it works. Landing gear is what activates the drop.. I know there are others out there, but this is an option..

I find this kind of money for two pieces of metal a bit over the top.

We needed tome reliable long-distance drop mechanisms for search and rescue, on the Inspire1 and 2, and the Matrice, I managed to buy the parts from eBay and stay at about $25 per set, including all parts.

The aluminum drop frame can be purchased on eBay for $8, as are the servos, for $4, the receivers (315 or 433Mhz) for $2.50, transmitters for $2.50 and small 2S LiPo for $5. All parts are interchangeable and modular. Since all our UAV have a GoPro attach point, this is the method for securing the payload drop kit.

Works great, with some of them at a range exceeding 3000 ft.. The weight penalty is 3.3oz to 4.0oz per kit, plus the desired payload. We now have the ability to drop medicine, VHF radios, water, high protein food and PFDs, from a great distance..

20180616_142332.jpg 20180616_142724.jpg 20180616_142321.jpg

Nice, but at ten plus times the price of my payload releases, i'd rather put that money into a new lens..

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RomanChrz