Welcome Matrice Pilots!
Join our free DJI Matrice community today!

possible courses of X5's out of box poor video quality

Reaction score
Guys, I just got the X5 camera gimbal with the new fitting platform.

My Inspire crashed into some fences while landing, and crippled one landing gear, so I didn't get chances to do some aerial tests but indoor ones. The lens I used is an Olympus 12mm. According to the X5 manual, the lens can ONLY be mounted to the gimbal with either a balancing ring or a filter attached. Also, the lens hood CAN"T be attached.

In still pic mode, I found the AF speed is fast and accurate. The overall response is just like shooting with my Em-1 or Em-10 cams. However, I can't find AF-C or locking the focal distance to indefinite. I did several shots with various settings, ISO 200, F2.0, ISO 800, F8, just like what I got from my cam.

In video mode, the quality is poor, just like what previous threads have mentioned. I think DJI should update the APP with following new functions.

Top priority, being able to lock the lens's focal distance to indefinite. I don't think we have the luxury tapping to focus while dodging from wires or finding the shooting spot, and not to mentioned the 10min lift off limit.

The second one, add AF-C mode.

Thirdly, set default apperture to F8 while doing video shooting.

I think the video samples we have viewed might be taken with F2.0 or even F1.7. The depth of field under this settings won't give us much details.

anyway just my thoughts.

Reactions: The Editor
Interesting. I hope you're right. One would think DJI is putting the pre-release versions into capable hands but you never know.

Reactions: Kilrah
Interesting. I hope you're right. One would think DJI is putting the pre-release versions into capable hands but you never know.

It is very obvious that DJI is catching up their marketing schedule regardless the BETA App we are using right now. I won't purchase the X5 for any video recording if there were a second chance.

Reactions: Machoman
Guys, I just got the X5 camera gimbal with the new fitting platform.

My Inspire crashed into some fences while landing, and crippled one landing gear, so I didn't get chances to do some aerial tests but indoor ones. The lens I used is an Olympus 12mm. According to the X5 manual, the lens can ONLY be mounted to the gimbal with either a balancing ring or a filter attached. Also, the lens hood CAN"T be attached.

In still pic mode, I found the AF speed is fast and accurate. The overall response is just like shooting with my Em-1 or Em-10 cams. However, I can't find AF-C or locking the focal distance to indefinite. I did several shots with various settings, ISO 200, F2.0, ISO 800, F8, just like what I got from my cam.

In video mode, the quality is poor, just like what previous threads have mentioned. I think DJI should update the APP with following new functions.

Top priority, being able to lock the lens's focal distance to indefinite. I don't think we have the luxury tapping to focus while dodging from wires or finding the shooting spot, and not to mentioned the 10min lift off limit.

The second one, add AF-C mode.

Thirdly, set default apperture to F8 while doing video shooting.

I think the video samples we have viewed might be taken with F2.0 or even F1.7. The depth of field under this settings won't give us much details.

anyway just my thoughts.
And also - at the extremes of aperture the image will be soft. A $500 lens will not be tack sharp wide open or for that matter anywhere near F16. There will be a sweet spot where things will be sharpest. I'm not talking about autofocus issues here although I do think you make a very good point in your post regarding continuous autofocus etc and locking to infinity.

I'm not sure the current reviewers of the X5 have taken into account the effect aperture will have on the hyperfocal distance or circle of confusion and the focal plane/sensor.

In those low light examples I expect they were shot at f1.7 - I would have preferred to see them recorded at maybe f2.8 and push the ISO up which the image could take considering the size of the sensor/pixels.

Reactions: AutoAir
And also - at the extremes of aperture the image will be soft. A $500 lens will not be tack sharp wide open or for that matter anywhere near F16. There will be a sweet spot where things will be sharpest. I'm not talking about autofocus issues here although I do think you make a very good point in your post regarding continuous autofocus etc and locking to infinity.

I'm not sure the current reviewers of the X5 have taken into account the effect aperture will have on the hyperfocal distance or circle of confusion and the focal plane/sensor.

In those low light examples I expect they were shot at f1.7 - I would have preferred to see them recorded at maybe f2.8 and push the ISO up which the image could take considering the size of the sensor/pixels.
Here is a great website for folks to play around with MFT sensors and lenses VS the current inspire 1/2.3 20mm setup. It will give those that don't know a better understanding of what is needed to get a sharp image/video.

Digital Camera Sensor Sizes: How it Influences Your Photography

Last edited:
Reactions: Machoman
Here is a great website for folks to play around with MFT sensors and lenses VS the current inspire 1/2.3 20mm setup. It will give you a better understanding of what is needed to get a sharp image/video.

Digital Camera Sensor Sizes: How it Influences Your Photography

Thank you - but I do understand the physics behind getting a sharp image which is why I made my comment above regarding the lens being soft at f1.7 and f16.
Using the calculator on that website would suggest that optimum sharpness will be achieved at f7.3 so if people who have received evaluation X5's would like to lock out their apertures at around f7.3 (or nearest) we can better evaluate the image quality than anything shot wide open.

Thank you - but I do understand the physics behind getting a sharp image which is why I made my comment above regarding the lens being soft at f1.7 and f16.
Using the calculator on that website would suggest that optimum sharpness will be achieved at f7.3 so if people who have received evaluation X5's would like to lock out their apertures at around f7.3 (or nearest) we can better evaluate the image quality than anything shot wide open.
Not disagreeing with you at all here. Just giving folks that don't know a resource.

Reactions: The Editor
@larryzhou is this a pre-release version of the X5 or did you order yours and it shipped? Wondering as a lot of us are waiting for it to ship

hey, Reece, it's the final retail version. according to the document comes with the X5 cam, it was shipped out Sept 30th, and I got it on Oct 5th.

from my SLR experience, I will F8- F11 to shoot landscapes. I would presume aerial photography is most likely shooting landscapes.

The X5 really should be as easy to handle as the X3 gimbal set.

update: just found the built in AF/MF switch in the APP. it can be found at upper-right corner.

well, need some practicing.

Just got my inspire pro today. It seems pretty good just on the default settings! This is with 2.5 sharpness in final cut pro x. 4k 24fps. 50 shutter. f6 - f10 iso 100.

Reactions: gruvpix
Just got my inspire pro today. It seems pretty good just on the default settings! This is with 2.5 sharpness in final cut pro x. 4k 24fps. 50 shutter. f6 - f10 iso 100.
Could you tell me where you ordered yours from? I ordered from B&H, it was supposed to ship on the 7th but nothing yet. Ready to cancel my order and order from someone who actually has it in stock.

Just having a peek at your showreel (looking for other X5 samples) - was it difficult getting permissions for Stonehenge/Boscombe Down/Middle Wallop MATZ and around danger zones EGD120/5?
Not seen anyone do that before.
The shots of Western Super Mare must have been a real 'Mare' getting the permissions for those especially all those people on the beach and the road - Still....I'm sure it was all under your control.
Was that a CASOC/OSC submission? Must have taken months.
Do share your secrets as some of us PFAW guys on the forum would love to know your tips and tricks for getting the CAA to approve them.

Just having a peek at your showreel (looking for other X5 samples) - was it difficult getting permissions for Stonehenge/Boscombe Down/Middle Wallop MATZ and around danger zones EGD120/5?
Not seen anyone do that before.
The shots of Western Super Mare must have been a real 'Mare' getting the permissions for those especially all those people on the beach and the road - Still....I'm sure it was all under your control.
Was that a CASOC submission? Must have taken months.
Do share your secrets as some of us PFAW guys on the forum would love to know your tips and tricks for getting the CAA to approve them.

Reading between the lines of your subtle reply I feel that you might be saying that dopeytree is operating outside of the regulatory PFAW framework?

Out of interest what does CASOC stand for?

Reading between the lines of your subtle reply I feel that you might be saying that dopeytree is operating outside of the regulatory PFAW framework?

Out of interest what does CASOC stand for?
Assuming he has it! I can find no evidence so far via CAA current listings but they can be a month or two out of date.
However, I do not want to derail the thread as its about the quality of the X5 but it was that subject that led me to search for more videos of the X5!
CAOSC is Congested Area Operating Safety Case which is now called just Operating Safety Case.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RomanChrz