Welcome Matrice Pilots!
Join our free DJI Matrice community today!

Photo quality X3 cam vs X5?

Reaction score
Hi all,
Ive read all of the specs from the formal announcement, many threads on here & have come across some great opinions. Heres my story, I have an I1 primarily for luxury real estate photography. Will the base model X5 offer a significant improvement in photo quality? Better sensor, lens, focus were mentioned. Just looking for some of your opinions... Please don't just post a link to the DJI specs, Ive seen them. Just interested in opinions from you all, the people that have first hand experience with the current I1.

Reactions: Lefty
I would agree with the responses here as well. Bigger sensor means everything in the image/video quality, precisely why the little Sony point and shoot RX100 can sell for $950. The next big thing would be a X7 with a full frame sensor. And I would say "take my money please" to that as long as it is not priced out of my range.

I would agree with the responses here as well. Bigger sensor means everything in the image/video quality, precisely why the little Sony point and shoot RX100 can sell for $950. The next big thing would be a X7 with a full frame sensor. And I would say "take my money please" to that as long as it is not priced out of my range.

Kinda just stumbled over yourself there. The gh4 is way ahead of full frame cameras....it's not always about the sensor size but how they utilize the data rates to determine proper image quality, that's for video though....

OK, the same files from Romeo Durscher's Dropbox, processed to pano in LR CC, then run through HDR Efex 2, then converted to JPEG for upload here (original DNG and TIFF files too big for upload here):

Edit: Too much compression in the JPEG file, but you get the idea. ;)

Attachments

• untitled-101-Pano_HDR.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 213
Reactions: dpetroni1
Kinda just stumbled over yourself there. The gh4 is way ahead of full frame cameras....it's not always about the sensor size but how they utilize the data rates to determine proper image quality, that's for video though....
The GH4 is way ahead of some full-frame cameras that don't prioritize video (Canon, Nikon). But it is slightly behind those that do (Sony A7S, A7RII).

But there are basically three groups of video cameras these days: 1) GH4 and Sony A7, which are great, 2) Canon and Nikon DSLRs, which are adequate for most stuff, and 3) everything else, which is not that great.

The X3 is firmly in category 3) here, while the X5 promises to get us to category 1) here. I would love to be able to fly my A7S on an Inspire, with complete DJI GO app control. But I can't, and the X5 is only a small step down from that.

Reactions: Rainbowers
The GH4 is way ahead of some full-frame cameras that don't prioritize video (Canon, Nikon). But it is slightly behind those that do (Sony A7S, A7RII).

But there are basically three groups of video cameras these days: 1) GH4 and Sony A7, which are great, 2) Canon and Nikon DSLRs, which are adequate for most stuff, and 3) everything else, which is not that great.

The X3 is firmly in category 3) here, while the X5 promises to get us to category 1) here. I would love to be able to fly my A7S on an Inspire, with complete DJI GO app control. But I can't, and the X5 is only a small step down from that.
If you calculate all and already having a sony A7s, more thinking about a Spreading Wings S1000. They will have the same (short) flying time, but I guess more safer with the S1000. Of course video quality will be at top level with the A7s

I'd say your groups aren't at all accurate (and heavily slanted toward the low-end). Video cameras break down much more like this:

1. The big boys that shoot RAW and cost a bundle: RED Epic/Weapon and even Scarlet, Arri Alexa, etc. It could be argued the URSA belongs here.
2. Dedicated large-sensor video cameras like the Canon C line, Sony FS line, Blackmagic URSA/Mini, etc.
3. Video-slanted DSLRs like the GH4 and A7s/A7sII
4. Hybrid mirrorless stuff that's more balanced photo/video like the Sony A7RII
5. DSLRs with video modes

The X5 isn't going to get you video quality comparable to even #3 here because it's codec is so heavily compressed. The X5R gets you around #2.

For video, the X3 and X5 are probably going to look relatively similar because of the codec. You're giving back a lot of the benefits of the bigger sensor when you over-compress the signal coming out.

Reactions: evo5ive
I'll admit I've been having fun shooting video on my inspire, but I'm really only interested in stills. Will there be a difference in the raw stills from X5 vs. X5R?

I'll admit I've been having fun shooting video on my inspire, but I'm really only interested in stills. Will there be a difference in the raw stills from X5 vs. X5R?

I suspect the X5R will be overkill for stills. The sensor on both the X5 and X5R will capture the same 16 MP DNG stills. It's the raw Cinema DNG video files that sets the X5R apart.

I suspect the X5R will be overkill for stills. The sensor on both the X5 and X5R will capture the same 16 MP DNG stills. It's the raw Cinema DNG video files that sets the X5R apart.

Thanks QP, when the two systems were announced I assumed I would want the X5R, but after reading about storage requirements on the raw video, I may have second thoughts. Although I do have an 18TB raid for storage. Even that seems kind of puny in the raw video business.

The Gh4 might be a good camera, but it NOT better than my Nikon FF D800!!!

For Television viewing, it will make no difference. Even a 2 mp image will look great on TV. If you want to print it, that's a different story.
Same for video on TV with the inspire. The X5R series will look EXACTLY the same as the X3. Same for the X5. Don't get caught up with all the marketing hype from manufacturers enticing you to by RAW etc. The only advantage with the X5 would be low light capabilities. However, we are not supposed to fly at night or when it gets dark anyway.

For Television viewing, it will make no difference. Even a 2 mp image will look great on TV. If you want to print it, that's a different story.
Same for video on TV with the inspire. The X5R series will look EXACTLY the same as the X3. Same for the X5. Don't get caught up with all the marketing hype from manufacturers enticing you to by RAW etc. The only advantage with the X5 would be low light capabilities. However, we are not supposed to fly at night or when it gets dark anyway.

So do all HD cameras look the same to you?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RomanChrz