Welcome Matrice Pilots!
Join our free DJI Matrice community today!

UK Overriding DJI's No Fly Zones

Nope.......still waiting, which is annoying as I have a job on an RAF military base and its a DJI NFZ :mad:.
I have permissions in place, ATC clearance and authority passed all the way up the food chain. However DJI deem it a NFZ so unless I can get it lifted I will have to use another platform that is not crippled by Nanny Fly Zones.

Just unplug the gps board for the flight.
You have all the important clearances and DJI does NOT have the authority to tell you where you can fly. If it's not blowing 25-30 I NEVER shoot for a client in GPS mode as my media is definitely smoother in atti mode.
(I'm sure you're more than capable or I wouldn't have made the suggestion).

Just unplug the gps board for the flight.
You have all the important clearances and DJI does NOT have the authority to tell you where you can fly. If it's not blowing 25-30 I NEVER shoot for a client in GPS mode as my media is definitely smoother in atti mode.
(I'm sure you're more than capable or I wouldn't have made the suggestion).

Hi - Thanks....yes I am happy in Atti all day long but unfortunately the firmware now detects whether there is a GPS module plugged in or not and I'm just too lazy to roll back the FW :p
Will use the Hex for this one. :)

This is madness, does that heliguy process not work? I know it's single use, but I thought it was a workaround until they sort out a proper process.

This is madness, does that heliguy process not work? I know it's single use, but I thought it was a workaround until they sort out a proper process.
Its a manual process where they forward on the application. Some have not even been acknowledged!
Unfortunately, the Inspire is becoming less and less a professional tool and more and more a hobbyist/recreational plaything whereby DJI are trying to firmware out the stupid gene.

Editor, that was great news you posted about the NFZ possible solution finally. I've sent emails to the Heliguy and DJI about this over the past couple months and never did get a reply from DJI customer support. I told them in my last email that if I couldn't get relief from the NFZ restrictions I was going to have to abandon their products for some other solution. Heliguy told me that not one of their NFZ relief applications had been granted so they gave up. Since I never did get a response from DJI customer service to my emails, I'm going to have a discussion with the reps at the IDE in LA next month about that.

Editor, that was great news you posted about the NFZ possible solution finally. I've sent emails to the Heliguy and DJI about this over the past couple months and never did get a reply from DJI customer support. I told them in my last email that if I couldn't get relief from the NFZ restrictions I was going to have to abandon their products for some other solution. Heliguy told me that not one of their NFZ relief applications had been granted so they gave up. Since I never did get a response from DJI customer service to my emails, I'm going to have a discussion with the reps at the IDE in LA next month about that.
Yeah, see if you can pressure them at LA, although of course they may be cluless as this is coming out of R&D as an accepted request from commercial users that they have now prioritised.
I had a long chat with Justin and Joel over at Heliguy and they told me the same thing - not a single request granted and some emails totally ignored. At least DJI are consistent I guess.
I will keep the forum updated as and when I get any news - whether that be good or bad!

So it sounds like in december DJI are going to release new firmware with a new version of its No FLY ZONES in which user can overrule but their details are recorded incase of an incident. If you're registered, your device you can then take off in the surrounding areas of an airport say etc. However I do not know if this would allow you to take off in the airport itself if a job came up or say to inspect a power plant. Presumably you'd have to apply for this separately.
DJI is removing mandatory no-fly zones from its drones

I'm surprised there isn't a hack or crack app to disable all the crap DJi put on their crafts.
I know somebody does a way point mapping app "litachi" or something and that looks promising, I think there will be loads of cool stuff out in the next year or two, like CHDK for canon etc.

Whilst I do not advocate double posting and this has been mentioned elsewhere it probably has a better home in this section.
I have raised a request with DJI R&D that for verifiable certified UAV operators who hold a current license/certificate issued by the relevant authority in the user's country, then DJI issue a code that can be entered via the app which disables the current No-Fly restrictions.
It should be noted - This will ONLY be issued to operators who hold current UAV commercial permissions.
I am mildly optimistic this will be granted once the logistics are organised :p

I have been working with a construction company, building an expansion next to a prison. Imagine my surprise this morning when I began my monthly geo map flight when the whole area turned red, no fly zone. I guees its an update, never happened before. Is there a path to work this out? The construction company is not happy.

On another topic, is there a link showing steps in unlocking yellow and green zones? Tried the DJI website but it was not helpful. Thanks for any help.

I have been working with a construction company, building an expansion next to a prison. Imagine my surprise this morning when I began my monthly geo map flight when the whole area turned red, no fly zone. I guees its an update, never happened before. Is there a path to work this out? The construction company is not happy.

On another topic, is there a link showing steps in unlocking yellow and green zones? Tried the DJI website but it was not helpful. Thanks for any help.

The GEO System was introduced in 2 separate stages. FW 1.9
provided the aircraft component but it was the latest App update 2.8.4 that activated it. If you are seeing red Restricted Zone at the prison you won't be able to fly there. You need the previous app to go back to where you were.

The DJI website provides a description of the GEO System and how to unlock the yellow Authorisation Zones. The green Warning and Enhanced Warning Zones are advisory and do not need to be unlocked. You just have to acknowledge any popular. You can turn these off progressively by tapping the new circle icon at top right of the app main screen. There are also notes on the DJI Inspire Forum.

The GEO System was introduced in 2 separate stages. FW 1.9
provided the aircraft component but it was the latest App update 2.8.4 that activated it. If you are seeing red Restricted Zone at the prison you won't be able to fly there. You need the previous app to go back to where you were.

The DJI website provides a description of the GEO System and how to unlock the yellow Authorisation Zones. The green Warning and Enhanced Warning Zones are advisory and do not need to be unlocked. You just have to acknowledge any popular. You can turn these off progressively by tapping the new circle icon at top right of the app main screen. There are also notes on the DJI Inspire Forum.
"
You need the previous app to go back to where you were. " IF I can upload the previous DJI GO version (before 2.8.4) I won't get the red NFZ ?

If I can't the prison construction job is dead? no workaround?

"
You need the previous app to go back to where you were. " IF I can upload the previous DJI GO version (before 2.8.4) I won't get the red NFZ ?

If I can't the prison construction job is dead? no workaround?
If you have a backup in iTunes (see other threads) you can go backwards. DJI do have a manual workaround if you have permission to fly it a specific area. You have to email them with precise location, times and other details - I don't have the particulars. This is designed for work at airports where ATC clearance is obtained. Whether this would apply to a prison is doubtful - they are NFZs for obvious reasons.

Thanks, Scotflieger. I'll search for the thread. As a retired cop knowing what has occurred with drones and prisons, I completely understand the need for security. But there has to be a way for a lawful overflight (did it before with the warden's consent) I guess this is an issue for DJI and I'll contact them. Thanks.

@licensed pilot

The Red zones can be turned off but.......
  • It can only be done on an individual basis (ie one area at a time)
  • You will have to supply a lot of information to DJI including passport information, letter of authority to fly in that area signed by a relevant authority
  • They will also require you sign an NDA
  • It is not that 'quick'
  • It will necessitate you being sent a 'special' version of the Go App that will have that specific area authorised.
  • You will have to uninstall your current Go App version and install the new one you are sent
  • Once it expires you will have to go back to the standard app.

Knowing how fast DJI can respond sometimes this might even be quicker.....:p

NFZ removal – CopterSafe – Remove No Fly Zone limitation for Phantom and Inpire

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LangeJens