Welcome Matrice Pilots!
Join our free DJI Matrice community today!

Our X7 Arrived Not Working - Very Frustrated!

Reaction score
So we received our X7 with the 4 lens kit yesterday. Ran the I2 updates and powered UP. Things started out OK but the image was a little "jumpy" as the gimbal seemed to have hi frequency vibrations. Then every now and then it would pan at full speed and crash into the gimbal's end stops. I could only stomach watching this a few times so powered OFF. Numerous power cycles did not help. Even tried our second I2 with same results. When I went to remove the X7 from the I2 the rotating connection was so hot that I couldn't barely touch it. The pan motor must have been working very hard indeed. Hopefully no damage... Is anyone else having these issues..?

Reactions: Skylux Media
So we received our X7 with the 4 lens kit yesterday. Ran the I2 updates and powered UP. Things started out OK but the image was a little "jumpy" as the gimbal seemed to have hi frequency vibrations. Then every now and then it would pan at full speed and crash into the gimbal's end stops. I could only stomach watching this a few times so powered OFF. Numerous power cycles did not help. Even tried our second I2 with same results. When I went to remove the X7 from the I2 the rotating connection was so hot that I couldn't barely touch it. The pan motor must have been working very hard indeed. Hopefully no damage... Is anyone else having these issues..?

Get it back to DJI asap and if i were you i would try for a new camera as exchange. This is clearly faulty so why would you want it back or wait for them to look at it. Get emailing them ASAP and im sure they will react fast on a new product like this that could cause severe damage to them.

Be pushy, you deserve to be after the amount you have paid and what you have been promised.

Yes! I experienced this when I got my X7. So per the first set of instructions I did the update with the X7 on and it was possessed like your was. I ended up going back to factory settings and going up from there. Same thing - gimbal overload and it spinning about. Hot to touch.

Went to Dji for troubleshooting - imu recalibrations. Refreshing software and then they recommended sending it back. During another attempt - I got a prompt on the go4app about updating the software with the X5 on instead.

So...the loading of software and hardware in the proper order is strikes again.

Now - the good folks at Advexure are helping us walk through this - especially right before thanksgiving. Thank you. The new gimbal arrives today. I’m hoping since all parts are up to date I can put the new gimbal on and fly.

To note: I was able to take the X7 up for just a minute (with the center point totally misaligned!) before gimbal overload warning. I did see some pretty sun flares with it. And it was cool to see a 2.35 mode. Then I had to take it down.

Tee cee- i’m not sure what you should do! Keep us posted. All the best.

DJI really needs to use this stuff before they hit the shelves with it. Seems everything has an issue with them.

I was looking at their X7 lens MTF website charts which cut off around 12-14 on the x-axis, and if you look at the comparable Sony lenses (Lightweight=less elements and less cost.) they show out to maybe 20-22 and where the lens curves drop as if DJI is telling us "They are great" with their marketing charts, but they're not telling the entire story with their condensed charts. Sort of when they published that Super 35mm diagram which was larger than a Full Frame sensor. Their marketing is great, just need to take it with a grain of salt though.

I'm so sorry to hear you're having these issues too. I just got the full kit as well with all 4 lenses. We have a critical film shoot next week so I have been scrambling to try and get mine up and running. I haven't experienced any gimbal motor problems, but I'm definitely getting the same terrible video lag, and intermittent video feed cutoff. I also keep getting a "Lens Not Connected" error with the 16mm lens. It took me 15minutes of constantly restarting the drone to get the 16mm lens to work.

Can you report if your gimbal balances out properly with the included balancing rings? I've posted on another thread (Link:X7 Gimbal Balance Problems), about the gimbals being terribly unbalanced with the included balancing ring. Dji shipped the X7 with the same balancing ring from the X5S, which appears to be 10g too light for the X7, and so it requires a third party filter to be purchased in order for the unit to balance properly, which is very disappointing to say the least.

Once I was able to properly balance my lens, and then restart the unit, I stopped getting the video lag and errors. I wonder if the gimbal imbalance is causing motor stress and failure, which would explain the issues you are having. Please also comment on my DJI forum post to report your experience so that the DJI Staff can see the issues we're having: Link:X7 Gimbal Balance Problems. I have brought up the issue with them and their responses so far has been hilariously disappointing. They told me "Don't Worry, the X7 Motor can handle the imbalance" and "Read the manual to see how to balance the gimbal"

Last edited:
Now - the good folks at Advexure are helping us walk through this - especially right before thanksgiving. Thank you. The new gimbal arrives today. I’m hoping since all parts are up to date I can put the new gimbal on and fly.

Thank you for your information and we hope that we can continue to assist you in getting up and running with your replacement X7 ASAP. Please don't hesitate to reach to our team if there is anything else we can assist with from our end. Safe flying.

Guys it’s extremely important you update the Inspire 2 to latest firmware V1.01.0200 with out the X7 connected first.

IF you slide to update to this version with the X7 connected you will damage the Gimbal as it loads the incorrect firmware onto the camera.

From V1.01.0200 onwards this is not an issue.

Guys it’s extremely important you update the Inspire 2 to latest firmware V1.01.0200 with out the X7 connected first.

IF you slide to update to this version with the X7 connected you will damage the Gimbal.

Great Point and thanks for mentioning this! Though I did exactly as directed, and still had problems. But you are correct that this is a very important step before hooking up the X7.

IF you slide to update to this version with the X7 connected you will damage the Gimbal as it loads the incorrect firmware onto the camera.

From V1.01.0200 onwards this is not an issue.
This would be so easy to avoid if only DJI had some half decent coding people.
A simple check built into the firmware to look at connected peripherals and suitable compatibility.
On any of my Sony’s it is not possible to load up the wrong firmware it just will not be accepted and if something is attached to the device a warning will pop up to disconnect the item before proceeding.

A simple check built into the firmware to look at connected peripherals and suitable compatibility.
On any of my Sony’s it is not possible to load up the wrong firmware it just will not be accepted and if something is attached to the device a warning will pop up to disconnect the item before proceeding.

I’m really not sure the background to this one my self, All I have seen is the warning, I’m guessing it was unforeseen and likely the have missed it could happen.

Not good in any shape or form though.

So my question now is are there any X7s out there that work properly???

I believe they are working. I got mine up in the air today with the 16mm and the x7. I shot some video and haven’t had a chance to check it out yet. I didn’t put any filtration on so I can’t speak to balance.

But it all seemed to be in order. Yesterday- I did have to turn on and off the inspire many times to get the 16mm to be recognized by the gimbal as was previously mentioned on the board (good tip!).

No probs after that.

So my question now is are there any X7s out there that work properly???

I had a whole new set of problems today. With the X7 attached, the camera was stuck in “Photo” mode, and I couldn’t switch it over to “Video” mode. I power cycled numerous times with no luck. It also kept giving me “SSD Failure” warnings, as well as “SSD NOT RECOGNIZED” warnings. After 30 minutes with no success, I removed the X7 and put on my X5S, and everything worked perfectly normal, no hiccups whatsoever. I decided to give the X7 one more shot, and after a couple more power on/off cycles, the X7 started working. Needless to say I’m terrified to try and use it in the field on any upcoming jobs.

I have 2 x5s because of the same issue. We struggled for months with support, firmware juggling, etc to deal with high frequency vibrations that made the gimbal hot to the touch and finally showed in the fies. Get a replacement as quick as you can. When ours showed up my first reaction was “this is what I excpecred in the first place”

DJI has spent more time on their no fly zones than they have quality control or making sure their customers have a usable product

DJI has spent more time on their no fly zones than they have quality control or making sure their customers have a usable product
Agreed. It's a business decision. One might lose customers, the other might have regulating authorities intervene.

I'm so sorry to hear you're having these issues too. I just got the full kit as well with all 4 lenses. We have a critical film shoot next week so I have been scrambling to try and get mine up and running. I haven't experienced any gimbal motor problems, but I'm definitely getting the same terrible video lag, and intermittent video feed cutoff. I also keep getting a "Lens Not Connected" error with the 16mm lens. It took me 15minutes of constantly restarting the drone to get the 16mm lens to work.

Can you report if your gimbal balances out properly with the included balancing rings? I've posted on another thread (Link:X7 Gimbal Balance Problems), about the gimbals being terribly unbalanced with the included balancing ring. Dji shipped the X7 with the same balancing ring from the X5S, which appears to be 10g too light for the X7, and so it requires a third party filter to be purchased in order for the unit to balance properly, which is very disappointing to say the least.

Once I was able to properly balance my lens, and then restart the unit, I stopped getting the video lag and errors. I wonder if the gimbal imbalance is causing motor stress and failure, which would explain the issues you are having. Please also comment on my DJI forum post to report your experience so that the DJI Staff can see the issues we're having: Link:X7 Gimbal Balance Problems. I have brought up the issue with them and their responses so far has been hilariously disappointing. They told me "Don't Worry, the X7 Motor can handle the imbalance" and "Read the manual to see how to balance the gimbal"

We have not got as far as balancing as the gimbal is still trying to kill itself every time we turn it on. We have now stopped turning it ON...

HI....Have you tried moving the camera whilst flying or just sat there......I do not know if its generally known...but the x7 gimble does NOT turn 360 degrees..what it does and dont ask me how they do it is once the camera hits its stop it swings the whole bird round 360 so it can carry on panning so if its just sat there it cant move the bird round,,can it?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dtpelt