Welcome Matrice Pilots!
Join our free DJI Matrice community today!

My X5R Has Arrived

the leds on the battery pcb could be blue and the on/off button white. would look icey :)
Damon, can you please (i think the word is elaborate) on wether the X5R is good for cinema movie making or not. can it hold up to a RED or alexa mini on an octo, or could it be used for such work bearing in mind what specs the camera has.
of course i am REALLY curious about flying time with aux batteries which would bring me in a positive direction of decsision making and getting the funds to invest on th me unit you have in the pic above.
of course all would be ordered from Ralph :) - yes Sir. even though i am in europe it is (for me at least) worth the effort and customs I will/ would have to pay for getting a setup like this. impossible to skip the X5 which is in the box for my shop to take it out and deduct it from the unit price and add the x5r to it. not so flexible :( when time comes i will be ordering from you if not coming over for a visit :p
have relatives in the US :)

edit: damon can you also check the parameters of the SSD so we can look at alternatives in case a micro SSD, DOES fit. curious about that too :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
the leds on the battery pcb could be blue and the on/off button white. would look icey :)
Damon, can you please (i think the word is elaborate) on wether the X5R is good for cinema movie making or not. can it hold up to a RED or alexa mini on an octo, or could it be used for such work bearing in mind what specs the camera has.
of course i am REALLY curious about flying time with aux batteries which would bring me in a positive direction of decsision making and getting the funds to invest on th me unit you have in the pic above.
of course all would be ordered from Ralph :) - yes Sir. even though i am in europe it is (for me at least) worth the effort and customs I will/ would have to pay for getting a setup like this. impossible to skip the X5 which is in the box for my shop to take it out and deduct it from the unit price and add the x5r to it. not so flexible :( when time comes i will be ordering from you if not coming over for a visit :p
have relatives in the US :)

edit: damon can you also check the parameters of the SSD so we can look at alternatives in case a micro SSD, DOES fit. curious about that too :)

I think short of actually putting a RED in the air, the X5R will provide the best and easiest way to match up RED footage in post of pretty much any other aerial solution.

SSD looks like a very proprietary formatting / partitioning job.

Reactions: Phatzo
Is there a positive lock holding the SSD in place, or will that be the next thing that will be unexpectedly dropping from the sky?

Is there a positive lock holding the SSD in place, or will that be the next thing that will be unexpectedly dropping from the sky?

I'm a bit concerned with the two twist locks. They and the front cam lock are all that's holding the X5R in place. If those back two connectors slide open, it's likely going to cause the front connector to fail is my guess.

Thinking zip ties...

we could also consider 3D print and make plate or reinforced part holting the unit better in place for the long run.

videos and pics please :)
soooooooo curious !!!!!!

Reactions: slim.slamma
The X5R is not in the same category as the RED and Mini. Apples and oranges. Different tools for different jobs. X5R is great for tight areas, close up work with talent, shoots on a budget, run and gun. The RED and Mini are the preferred option in any other circumstance.

One significant reason is consistency. Use the same camera in the air as you would on the ground so the DP can use his lenses, filters, settings, etc. Same for post production workflow and lab work.

The X5 and X5R are already being used on a number of TV productions but DJI still has a lot of work to do if they want to stay there. DJI still can't get their firmware right. And soon we'll have GEO to contend with. It has no place in a production setting. I fly the X5 on some productions but I still run X8 heavy lifters where I can.

I'll consider the X5R once the mags are $700 or less and I can skip DJI's software to offload.

The X5R is not in the same category as the RED and Mini. Apples and oranges. Different tools for different jobs. X5R is great for tight areas, close up work with talent, shoots on a budget, run and gun. The RED and Mini are the preferred option in any other circumstance.

One significant reason is consistency. Use the same camera in the air as you would on the ground so the DP can use his lenses, filters, settings, etc. Same for post production workflow and lab work.

The X5 and X5R are already being used on a number of TV productions but DJI still has a lot of work to do if they want to stay there. DJI still can't get their firmware right. And soon we'll have GEO to contend with. It has no place in a production setting. I fly the X5 on some productions but I still run X8 heavy lifters where I can.

I'll consider the X5R once the mags are $700 or less and I can skip DJI's software to offload.

so the X5R is not usable for movie making then... :(
what octo setup do you use with video downlink? what is your flight time?
what batteries do you use? -brand -
all considered having best case scenario just to have an idea what i am really looking at. i did build an octo and also a hex but those proved to be underpowered mainly the props are to small. the motors have a 650 KV which I do not know if strong enough when bigger props are on. also for film, is it really nessesary to have a paralinks or teradeck for a fortune instead of a lightbridge? is 8bit downlink not enough because the DOP has to see full color spectrum as when he looks at the feed on ground?

- sorry to highjack the topic for it, maybe an admin could move it to a new thread - i don't know what the topic of the subject could be though...

DJI is advertizing the x5r as a film camera and i was in the believe that i could actually use it there because of ghe RAW format delivery possibility.

someone teach me please :)

edit: one more question. what do mean or refer to with mags? and skipping dji software to download?
does one have to use special software to get the raw footage?
is it not possible to just pull it off the ssd?

Mags he means SSD drives and you need to use Cinelight to convert the files into other file types

i was guessing but was not sure. cinelight is free for download i guess. right?
for the ssd's if there would or is possibility that off the shelf units fit and can be used, could the x5r be an option in any way for movie making?

The X5R will certainly work for features but there are better options. It really depends on a number of factors. Heavy lifters take a lot of work to get going. Mine took about 5 months of spare time to build, test, and dial in. With a GH4, it'll do 18 minutes with dual 16,000mAh Tattu batteries.

It also takes more effort to put the X8 in the air each time but the end product is much easier to work with. My biggest concern with the X5R is dealing with giant RAW files. I can't see running the X5R on set without having to bring a third person just to dump mags. And for all but the really high end TV work, RAW is overkill.

Reactions: gruvpix
The X5R will certainly work for features but there are better options. It really depends on a number of factors. Heavy lifters take a lot of work to get going. Mine took about 5 months of spare time to build, test, and dial in. With a GH4, it'll do 18 minutes with dual 16,000mAh Tattu batteries.

It also takes more effort to put the X8 in the air each time but the end product is much easier to work with. My biggest concern with the X5R is dealing with giant RAW files. I can't see running the X5R on set without having to bring a third person just to dump mags. And for all but the really high end TV work, RAW is overkill.

i do have experience in custom build - my post earlier - doing all alone was a pain but i got a lot of insight which is good as i gained knowlidge about the whole systems and things to use.
can i pm you to ask some more detail if you don't mind?

and now back to topic. sorry for using it on somethin else :)

Last edited:
And for all but the really high end TV work, RAW is overkill.

Once DJI finally nails the firmware then I would have to agree with that. Although my experience so far with various productions there have been absolutely no complaints, just positive comments, but then having the extra dynamic range and better compression is always going to be quite nice to have.

Reactions: andrew259
Got any shots from your slick new camera yet?

We've had an incredible 6 inches of snow here in Boston the last few days unfortunately. But I also discovered an unfortunate issue with my unit that has me sending it back tomorrow for replacement.

Will be next weekend again before I am likely to get the replacement and get it in the air.

Reactions: gruvpix
We've had an incredible 6 inches of snow here in Boston the last few days unfortunately. But I also discovered an unfortunate issue with my unit that has me sending it back tomorrow for replacement.

Will be next weekend again before I am likely to get the replacement and get it in the air.

What was wrong with it, Aircraft or Camera issue?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RomanChrz