Welcome Matrice Pilots!
Join our free DJI Matrice community today!

Matrice 210 RTK (v1) with D-RTK. A few questions from the beginner

Reaction score
Good evening everyone! I have a few questions about the Matrice 210 RTK (v1) drone with the D-RTK module.
At the very beginning, I would like to clarify a few things. My colleague and I recently founded a company that deals with industrial inspections using drones. We have, among others, the Matrice 210 RTK (v1) drone with the D-RTK module and the X5S 15mm, Z30 and XT2 cameras. Neither of us has the experience and knowledge of surveying, and inquiries about such assignments are made. I have been searching the internet for a long time for information on this topic, but I can't find it, that's why I created this topic. I apologize right away if some of the questions are trivial.
1. From what I have read, the Matrice 210 RTK with D-RTK is not a "real" RTK system, i.e. the photos do not have the exact GNSS RTK metadata embedded in them, and the RTK system in the drone is used only for positioning the drone in the air. So what map accuracy can be counted on using the entire system (M210 RTK + X5S 15mm)?
2. Is there any other solution (purchase of some modules or use of some other measurement technology) thanks to which it is possible to obtain surveying accuracy of orthophotos performed with the use of the above-mentioned equipment that we have?
3. Do I understand correctly that orthophotos with an accuracy of a few centimeters can be obtained by performing a Matrice 210 RTK flight with a X5S 15mm camera if I place a GCP on the test site and measure them, for example with the EMLID RTK GNSS receiver - Reach RS +, and then loaded into the GCP receiver into Pix4D or Metashape? Do I have to buy any more modules that must be mounted on the drone? .... Or maybe I do not understand the whole concept?

If something is unclear, please be understanding, English is not my native language. In case of questions, I will try to clarify inaccuracies in my questions.

Best regards and thank you in advance for your help.

Reactions: MikeA
This is a great question. A bit of time has passed since asked. Does anyone have any thoughts. Is it even worth buying an M210 RTK or are we better off finding a third party solution for the RTK? The M210 RTK will likely hold a more accurate position and not be so at affect by electromagnetic interference, but maybe a third party solution will provide the same benefits AND write RTK information in the EXIF or at least provide a file for geotagging or rectifying.

In the OP post, point number 3, he is correct except that there is no need for the drone to be an RTK with that workflow, an M210 would achieve the same results.

This is a great question. A bit of time has passed since asked. Does anyone have any thoughts. Is it even worth buying an M210 RTK or are we better off finding a third party solution for the RTK? The M210 RTK will likely hold a more accurate position and not be so at affect by electromagnetic interference, but maybe a third party solution will provide the same benefits AND write RTK information in the EXIF or at least provide a file for geotagging or rectifying.

In the OP post, point number 3, he is correct except that there is no need for the drone to be an RTK with that workflow, an M210 would achieve the same results.
Not sure if anyone is still monitoring this, but I was curious about the same issue with my M30T that has RTK.
It turns out that the lat/lon that gets inserted into the EXIF of images has 14 digits to the right of the decimal point when RTK is active and only 11(?) when it is not active. I say 11, because sometimes its only 9 and I am not sure why?? It's either 11 or 9, but never appears to be 10 - weird.

Not sure if anyone is still monitoring this, but I was curious about the same issue with my M30T that has RTK.
It turns out that the lat/lon that gets inserted into the EXIF of images has 14 digits to the right of the decimal point when RTK is active and only 11(?) when it is not active. I say 11, because sometimes its only 9 and I am not sure why?? It's either 11 or 9, but never appears to be 10 - weird.
Are you using the M30T to perform land surveys?

Are you using the M30T to perform land surveys?
I'm pretty sure what I'm doing couldn't be called a survey. I have no actual "Surveyor" credentials :)
But I do create orthomosaics with the M30T and it appears to be pretty good at that, especially with RTK.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bigbair