Welcome Matrice Pilots!
Join our free DJI Matrice community today!

Mapping in low altitude in the Arctic

Reaction score
Hello,

I would like to ask for your advise on the following topic.

Task:

1. Document and identify marine litter on the coastline of Svalbard 78 North

2. Make use of a app as Altizure to teach the Inspire which area to cover

3. sit on a laptop look at the model and identify the photos containing litter (to upload just these to another database).

Why I am posting this is, because DJI says "not possible to fly in this are with GPS / Compass.

.... but DJI also says there batteries are intelligent so I guess we can make this happen ?

My plan at the moment is to use the app to tell the Inspire where it is (start is Garmin GPS coordinate XY)

then fly in low altitude to use the Ground sensors to keep the bird stable and then give it a go.

I am happy to hear your thoughts specially if you have been in the pole areas before.

Here is a really small example of what I need:

Boden 3D

Thank you for reading this.

I've used the Inspire 1 working in the general vicinity of 63° 44' 0" N / 68° 30' 0" W (Canadian Arctic) since 2014.
Best if you have the iphone 10 or better - just all around better utility with the Inspire. Be prepared to put your phone in a warm area (i.e.under your Canada Goose coat) otherwise it will freeze (literally).
Note there will be electromagnetic interference (strong radar, hematite (iron oxide mineral) as well as electromagnetic activity emanating from the pole). If you can upgrade the RC antenna (also helps); Because of this, be prepared for short gaps in GPS - the bird will lose GPS signal.
Inspire is particularly good with the cold (i flown up-to -24c) (ensure you have battery warmers)
Also quite good in wind (i flown up-to 40 km wind - often with higher gusts).
I have some additional advice - if interested.
Cheers & good luck.

Sorry for the quality but I recorded on board the expedition boat.

So long story short:

Inspire 1 has a lot of trouble in the cold the Inspire 2 handles all that much better because of the integrated heating.
I have used a Phantom 4 Pro because of the smaller package better flight time and the smaller batteries.
I had zero problems with GPS or compass failure, the batteries worked without any trouble and the bird worked just fine even in strong winds.
Sign In | Altizure

Yes, Inspire 2 is a good step up from the I1.
I should have mentioned that I mostly used the Autoflight Logic Auto Pilot app.
In addition I backpacked the I1 on my treks (which was awkward) but have done it since 2014 so am used to the bulkiness.
If I were to purchase now - likely go for the Matrice 200 series (M210 commercial drone).
Your thoughts?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RomanChrz