Welcome Matrice Pilots!
Join our free DJI Matrice community today!

Indoor Low Light Imaging

Reaction score
How is the image quality with the X5 when used for an inspection of a surface (wall etc) in a large indoor arena?

Does anyone have any experience of this and any results?

I am trying to find the best way to carry out structrual inspections without having very noisy images. An MFT camera seems to be a better solution to a UAV with a quarter inch sensor.

Thanks in advance!

I personally have had some really great results. I'm sure you already know this but lighting is to me the most important factor in indoor filming. Turning the ISO up high definately presents noisy images. I personally have had better luck shooting in 1080-60 fps indoor with low light than 4k 24. Im not sure why that is . You could mount a nice bright led that disperses widely to aid you in your indoor flight. I have a led stip that I use to light up the general area when shooting dark indoor areas. It works for me but may sound silly for others. I switched to the olympus 12 mm lens and I swear I get at least 75 % better images than the stock lens. I hope this helps you in some way. If you need any help in the future, I'm always around. I wish you happy flying.

Respectfully,

Ralph Rigdon
FlyHighUSA

I personally have had some really great results. I'm sure you already know this but lighting is to me the most important factor in indoor filming. Turning the ISO up high definately presents noisy images. I personally have had better luck shooting in 1080-60 fps indoor with low light than 4k 24. Im not sure why that is . You could mount a nice bright led that disperses widely to aid you in your indoor flight. I have a led stip that I use to light up the general area when shooting dark indoor areas. It works for me but may sound silly for others. I switched to the olympus 12 mm lens and I swear I get at least 75 % better images than the stock lens. I hope this helps you in some way. If you need any help in the future, I'm always around. I wish you happy flying.

Respectfully,

Ralph Rigdon
FlyHighUSA

Hi Ralph

Many thanks for your reply. The majority of my inspection will be with still images, not video. Does the same apply?

Best wishes from Dubai,

Thanks!

In my opinion it doesn't matter video or pic, you have to have sufficient lighting or otherwise you have to use things like iso gain, ev compensation, etc... which i like to keep at a minimum. let me know If this works for you. btw I made an add on kit for my Inspire that I sell, so if you need one just let me know I will send you some pic.

Thanks
FlyHighUSA

In my opinion it doesn't matter video or pic, you have to have sufficient lighting or otherwise you have to use things like iso gain, ev compensation, etc... which i like to keep at a minimum. let me know If this works for you. btw I made an add on kit for my Inspire that I sell, so if you need one just let me know I will send you some pic.

Thanks
FlyHighUSA
Yes I am interested to see the add on kit....

Will send some photos today when I get to the office. I have my Inspire Pro x5 there. Basically it uses these parts and they are very light not to add too much weight. I use a small 9v battery to power the lights as to not use the Inspire battery. A very small switch is used to turn off and on. I will send them to you in a few hours.

Respectfully,
FlyHighUSA

I ran to the office and snapped these pics, It is very close to my house. Pardon the low resolution images. The final 2 pics show the before lights on and after lights on. They will light a wall from 15 to 20 feet away about a 15 to 20 foot square. I also have a larger, brighter set if so needed. This is a completely separate add on. can be removed or put on the Inspire in less than 2 minutes. It does not in any way involve the wiring of the Inspire and does not void the warranty. The total weight for the entire set is around 90 grams so it really doesn't effect the flight time at all. Let me know if you want me to make you a set. They are custom made. I also have a website for other things Drone related. FlyHighUSA

Thanks
Ralph

Attachments

• IMG_0869.JPG
    IMG_0869.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 79
  • IMG_0870.JPG
    IMG_0870.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 72
  • IMG_0873.JPG
    IMG_0873.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 79
  • IMG_0876.JPG
    IMG_0876.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 73
  • IMG_0877.JPG
    IMG_0877.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 71
  • IMG_0878.JPG
    IMG_0878.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 69
  • IMG_0879.JPG
    IMG_0879.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 73
  • IMG_0880.JPG
    IMG_0880.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 67
  • IMG_0882.JPG
    IMG_0882.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 66
I ran to the office and snapped these pics, It is very close to my house. Pardon the low resolution images. The final 2 pics show the before lights on and after lights on. They will light a wall from 15 to 20 feet away about a 15 to 20 foot square. I also have a larger, brighter set if so needed. This is a completely separate add on. can be removed or put on the Inspire in less than 2 minutes. It does not in any way involve the wiring of the Inspire and does not void the warranty. The total weight for the entire set is around 90 grams so it really doesn't effect the flight time at all. Let me know if you want me to make you a set. They are custom made. I also have a website for other things Drone related. FlyHighUSA

Thanks
Ralph

Hi Ralph - looks good. Keen to see your website and also some sample images from the X5 in indoor condtions of a wall from about 3 metres away.

Hello there, Im uploading a couple images for you to take a look at . These were taken from 15 feet away in a completely dark room. I am really impressed with how much light they give off.

Attachments

• IMG_0895.JPG
    IMG_0895.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0896.JPG
    IMG_0896.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 23
Hello there, Im uploading a couple images for you to take a look at . These were taken from 15 feet away in a completely dark room. I am really impressed with how much light they give off.
HO Ralph - many thanks. Regarding flying indoors in a large warehourse without GPS. How is the stabiity of Inspire in this situation? Does it hover perfectly without GPS if 30 feet off the ground in a warehouse? How is the auto tracking left right movement? Can you present the speed in metres per second and have the inspire autotrigger the camera whilst auto tracking?

HO Ralph - many thanks. Regarding flying indoors in a large warehourse without GPS. How is the stabiity of Inspire in this situation? Does it hover perfectly without GPS if 30 feet off the ground in a warehouse? How is the auto tracking left right movement? Can you present the speed in metres per second and have the inspire autotrigger the camera whilst auto tracking?

Imagine a wall or structure in a non GPS environmet (indoors) that I need to image. I ould like to have the Inspire at say 30 feet off teh ground and have it track laterally automatically at a pre-determined speed in metres per second. At teh same time I would liek to the camera to auto trigger at say 5 second intervalsand capture the wall or structure. The resulting images would then be processed in Pix 4D to produce a 3d model of that indoor environment/wall/structure. I appreciate that without georeferencing (no GPS indoors) there would be no absolute position in x,y,z BUT I know for a fact that Pix 4D can produce a 3D model without georeferencing buy using keypoint matching.

Yes here is my experience, real world, I was inside a large barn today maybe 175 feet long and 100 feet wide. Height of 50 feet. The inspire actually done better inside than outside. The visual positioning system works amazingly good. Especially with no wind. It maintains about a 1 foot accuracy at all times both vertically and horizontally. Yes you can call for the shutter every few seconds at your desired interval. It's a simple add on.

Imagine a wall or structure in a non GPS environmet (indoors) that I need to image. I ould like to have the Inspire at say 30 feet off teh ground and have it track laterally automatically at a pre-determined speed in metres per second. At teh same time I would liek to the camera to auto trigger at say 5 second intervalsand capture the wall or structure. The resulting images would then be processed in Pix 4D to produce a 3d model of that indoor environment/wall/structure. I appreciate that without georeferencing (no GPS indoors) there would be no absolute position in x,y,z BUT I know for a fact that Pix 4D can produce a 3D model without georeferencing buy using keypoint matching.
Yes I love Pix 4D it's amazing. I know exactly what you are wanting. That is a great concept. Should produce some great renderings

Yes I love Pix 4D it's amazing. I know exactly what you are wanting. That is a great concept. Should produce some great renderings
I
I have a source that makes lenses for me that remote trigger using 5.8 ghz frequency. I currently use one on my custom s1000 that I just built.

Also I am not sure if you know this but there are lenses now that you can use on the Inspire pro that also allow zooming on the fly by using the app. I am utilizing the DJI follow focus system and its amazing accuracy

Also I am not sure if you know this but there are lenses now that you can use on the Inspire pro that also allow zooming on the fly by using the app. I am utilizing the DJI follow focus system and its amazing accuracy
Thanks Ralph - I might try to look for you on Skype...

Hi why not just add some simple light bicycle handle bar lights. I have these and they just strap on. Nice bright light and no wires or extra batteries to worry about, doesn't show it in the picture but they are on rubber straps and fit the inspire arms perfectly. - Cateye Nima Front Cycle Light-Black: Amazon.co.uk: Sports & Outdoors
It's a great idea. I'm not sure how the lumens compare as well as one thing I like about the light strips are the aerodynamic principles. The ones you are talking about would probably work fine. One thing I forgot to tell you is I have a remote switch on mine so I can turn them on and off while flying. In case a shot looks better without the light. End the end, the ones you are talking about sound fine for most ocassions.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RomanChrz