Welcome Matrice Pilots!
Join our free DJI Matrice community today!

If you could have only one lens for the X5

I have the DJI 15mm lens and three Olympus lenses (12mm, 17mm, and 25mm).

I only ever use the Olympus 12mm.

Reactions: RDTech
I have the Oly 12,17,25,&45. I bought the X5 without the DJI lens.
The 12 is the go to lens for a couple of reasons; manual focus capability and wide FoV that is not too different from what I was used to w/ X3. I do like and have found uses for the others, but default to the 12 if no special parameters are required on the flight.
J

I have the Oly 12,17,25,&45. I bought the X5 without the DJI lens.
The 12 is the go to lens for a couple of reasons; manual focus capability and wide FoV that is not too different from what I was used to w/ X3. I do like and have found uses for the others, but default to the 12 if no special parameters are required on the flight.
J
Hi Jay,
Do you use the lens hood as well or just screw the 12mm lens straight on. Is it sharper than the stock 15mm?

Hi Jay,
Do you use the lens hood as well or just screw the 12mm lens straight on. Is it sharper than the stock 15mm?

Hi Dennis,
No Lens hood. I used the x3 85% for video. With the X5 / Oly lenses, I find I am no 50/50 video/ pics because of the 16mp sensor. So really, it comes down to filter application for which is my primary flight objective. With video, I start with an ND4 and go up depending on the brightness aloft (very different from ground). With photos I use various PF. They're all easy to configure balance and I frankly heeded the original recommendation to NOT use a hood on the Oly 12. I do have them and will tinker with each consideration on each lens.

Sharpness on all of these lenses is dependent on calibration. Set it once and not a worry. Key is finding the right high contrast "target" > 175' away. I used a paver driveway with inset patterns from ABOVE shooting straight down for all of the lenses and it worked great and every picture/video is clear and crisp.

For those of us who work commercially, there is a distinct advantage of the Oly 25 and 45 for aerial stills of real estate. You can get the shot from >300' up and no one even notices you're there. (yes, I do get written permissions.) Fly high and frame the shots and you're out of there in under 15 minutes. The 12 is great too from lower altitude and moving around larger properties for a multitude of perspectives.

Most all of my work has slowed down from my early work almost a year ago now, I am much more methodical in my flight and shot framing and looking for quality shots instead of "wow" speed runs. Maturity...

I am very pleased with my decision on each of the Olympus lenses and would recomend them all or individually as great elements of the aerial package. I also use them all on my Panasonic G7 and G8 cameras.
J

Guys and Jay in particular, just wanted to say thank you very much for this insight.

I had preordered the X5R on B&H with the 15mm lens but after reading this I called and changed my order to the X5R, no lens, plus the Oly 12mm.

The tip on lens calibration is gold as well.

Guys and Jay in particular, just wanted to say thank you very much for this insight.

I had preordered the X5R on B&H with the 15mm lens but after reading this I called and changed my order to the X5R, no lens, plus the Oly 12mm.

The tip on lens calibration is gold as well.
You're welcome. I enjoy learning and sharing alike on this "forum with the best decorum". I'm in CT, so if you want to fly sometime, PM me

Reactions: damoncooper
Most all of my work has slowed down from my early work almost a year ago now, I am much more methodical in my flight and shot framing and looking for quality shots instead of "wow" speed runs. Maturity...J
Same here, though I never had that urge for "look ma what it does!" speed runs and frantic sticks movements soooo close to CSC. That's not even the maturity issue, it's more like the old fart issue :D!
Anyway, would you please elaborate over the sharpness calibration procedure you've mastered? The manual is talking about 50' distance ... Is it matters if the machine is hovering above sufficient pattern during calibration or it should sit still on the table and point horizontally? Why >175'? Do you have a picture of this or similar pattern?

Same here, though I never had that urge for "look ma what it does!" speed runs and frantic sticks movements soooo close to CSC. That's not even the maturity issue, it's more like the old fart issue :D!
Anyway, would you please elaborate over the sharpness calibration procedure you've mastered? The manual is talking about 50' distance ... Is it matters if the machine is hovering above sufficient pattern during calibration or it should sit still on the table and point horizontally? Why >175'? Do you have a picture of this or similar pattern?
DobMatt, 50' is not sufficient per the recommended method of calibration. 50m is my recollection and also what I used. Yes, I tried to find an easier way on the ground and even drove around looking for that special "high contrast place". Guess what, Right next to me if I looked down from above. How about a tennis court? I found a patterned driveway. All I know is that it worked and is repeatable. I only check the Oly 12 after each firmware upgrade and if no issues, skip the other. BUT, if I see fuzzy pictures, I know exacltly what to do.
Best regards,
J

DobMatt, 50' is not sufficient per the recommended method of calibration. 50m is my recollection and also what I used. Yes, I tried to find an easier way on the ground and even drove around looking for that special "high contrast place". Guess what, Right next to me if I looked down from above. How about a tennis court? I found a patterned driveway. All I know is that it worked and is repeatable. I only check the Oly 12 after each firmware upgrade and if no issues, skip the other. BUT, if I see fuzzy pictures, I know exacltly what to do.
Best regards,
J
Of course 50 meters, not feet, silly me!
Thank you, Jay.

I don't own one but i'd have to say the Olympus 25mm
Phil, why do you have to say that the Olympus 25mm lens will be your #1 choice? Would you be able to support your opinion with some facts we're not aware of? If not, than - please forgive my honesty - what is the value of such statement posted on this forum?

Last edited:
Phil, why do you have to say that the Olympus 25mm lens will be your #1 choice? Would you be able to support your opinion with some facts we're not aware of? If not, than - please forgive my honesty - what is the value of such statement posted on this forum?
I could see the 25mm being a favorite. It has a great level of 'zoom' so subject tracking and follows can be achieved easier while providing a different look. it also enables the pilot to not have to position himself super far away from the subject like with the 45 mm. I am strongly considering exchanging my new 45mm for the 25 based on comparison footage shot online.
Eh I'll probably just end up buying them all..
For basic stuff i.e. Scenics and whatnot sure, the 12 mm is the safe bet and will be the most versatile. That said they all have a purpose so no point trying to determine which one is quantifiably better.
People that want to get the most out of the inspire will undoubtedly see the advantages and different advantages to each and decide based on their application

Hi Dobmatt,
Sure. The main reason for opting for the 25mm is the difference in field of view. Most people flying multirotors have been flying wide angles (like the 12mm) for years, the beauty with the Inspire Pro is that you have the freedom to change lens. The 25mm gives a completely different style to shots, making tracking, POI, jib and dolly shots of subjects far more cinematic.
Note that I only do filming (i am not a aerial stills photographer).

Reactions: RDTech and Kram

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctfulgham