Welcome Matrice Pilots!
Join our free DJI Matrice community today!

DJI X5 flickering on high iso

I think the shutter was no less than 80 while aperture was closer to 1.5 and 1.7. I tried a couple of variations not far from these numbers. id love to know how much these settings may contribute since 80 on shutter is pretty low i think while 1.5 and 1.7 is high on aperture. I chose these settings only because the high iso seemed to amplify the issue the most while trying to compensate for the low lighting

Are my expectations just too high for darker lit shots? For some reason i was expecting pretty high quality, or at the very least, consistency during a shot.. I can deal with quality loss to compensate with the dark, but having it flicker off and on in one continuous shot was unexpected. Sorry for the rants you guys!

So you guys should do me a flavor, put the lens cap on and turn the iso up, tell me if im one of the few that has odd pulsating noise. Don't pay attention to the amount of noise, just the pulsating effect. Any recommendations to affordable noise cancelling software?

If most of you have noise that doesn't pulsate and flicker than I'm sending my L1 in. I haven't updated since dec. 21. Not sure if the new updates have any new fixes for the x5

I get high ISO noise flickering in the shadows. It is noticeable above 800 ISO, and takes the entire lower shadow range under about 15% at the highest ISO. This is with the newest firmware. I don't think noise canceling software can do anything with it as most noise software expects their to be continuous noise in the shadows and works off of a single frame. I think the flickering makes the camera unusable at high ISO in lowlight situations with a lot of shadows. The only solution is too crush all of the shadows into the blacks at high ISO.

Yes... It's not good... I have to say the x5's potential needs to be realised through proper firmware soon....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, finally took some night video that didn't flicker. With a the shutter as slow as it will go and ISO 100 and 1.7 Ap it had really great quality. But panning must be done really smooth and slow. I'd like to get back to the pool hall I did before xmas and see what kind of results I can get. Its still odd that I see night footage on youtube that looks perfect when the user is saying it was done at 800 ISOand no post editing. 800 seems to be the magic number for visible flickering on my x5. Still photos are pretty amazing at night, this is my first rodeo with photography and I had no idea cameras can pick up objects in the dark that I cant see very well with the naked eye.

Well, finally took some night video that didn't flicker. With a the shutter as slow as it will go and ISO 100 and 1.7 Ap it had really great quality. But panning must be done really smooth and slow. I'd like to get back to the pool hall I did before xmas and see what kind of results I can get. Its still odd that I see night footage on youtube that looks perfect when the user is saying it was done at 800 ISOand no post editing. 800 seems to be the magic number for visible flickering on my x5. Still photos are pretty amazing at night, this is my first rodeo with photography and I had no idea cameras can pick up objects in the dark that I cant see very well with the naked eye.
Please tell me your best settings now without flicker! It's driving me crazy! I can post you some videos if you want to see some .. Do I need to lock the ISO?

The flickering is directly related to the ISO, picture profile, and, to a certain extent, the white balance. DJI seems to have screwed up on the way gain is used to increase exposure, so black levels flicker and increasing the ISO allows you to see the flickering. The Log profiles also unnaturally raise the black levels and allow you to see the flickering at lower ISO levels than the None profile. The X5 has a natural white balance near to daylight, so if the white balance compensates for tungsten light or other light colors, it raises the gain on certain color channels and the flickering becomes pronounced at lower ISO's. It's best to keep the ISO as low as possible when shooting objects with alot of blacks. You might not actually notice the flickering at 3200ISO as long you don't have any noticeable blacks in the lower 15-20% IRE. I would say the best settings are to shoot at None, 800 or less ISO, and daylight if possible. Do not underexpose, though, as that will just make the flickering more noticeable.

Reactions: P_MAC
I have never really experienced flickering in my footage until today. Took it up with the 45mm Olympus and shot with the "none" profile for the first time (normally I am in D-Log with minimal sharpening).

The flickering killed the footage it was so bad. ISO was at 200...exposure at 0 EV. Has to be tied to the picture profile as I have never experience it like this before. Will go up again tomorrow and use D-Log to confirm if that was the issue.

This was BAD though. Not subtle.

I have never really experienced flickering in my footage until today. Took it up with the 45mm Olympus and shot with the "none" profile for the first time (normally I am in D-Log with minimal sharpening).

The flickering killed the footage it was so bad. ISO was at 200...exposure at 0 EV. Has to be tied to the picture profile as I have never experience it like this before. Will go up again tomorrow and use D-Log to confirm if that was the issue.

This was BAD though. Not subtle.

Did you discover anything new? I've found D-Log to be worse than None, but I've also found it is difficult to track down the exact cause of the problem since it isn't alway apparent under the same settings. I'm wondering if it is an actual bug in the firmware.

Did you discover anything new? I've found D-Log to be worse than None, but I've also found it is difficult to track down the exact cause of the problem since it isn't alway apparent under the same settings. I'm wondering if it is an actual bug in the firmware.
I've stopped using the D-Log mode. Had a bad experience where everything shot in that mode turned out out of focus and blurry. Can't even fix it in post! Unbelievable.

Just wanted to express my satisfaction with the latest firmware 1.04.00.70

Got a flight in around 930 pm, pretty clear for such little light in the area that I flew. High ISO noise was consistent, didn't notice much noise at 400. Seems really solid. The noise that is noticeable can probably be eliminated in post. Although I haven't attempted it. Finally, no more noise flickering LOL

Just wanted to express my satisfaction with the latest firmware 1.04.00.70

Got a flight in around 930 pm, pretty clear for such little light in the area that I flew. High ISO noise was consistent, didn't notice much noise at 400. Seems really solid. The noise that is noticeable can probably be eliminated in post. Although I haven't attempted it. Finally, no more noise flickering LOL
What setting did you have? interested in your shutterspeed for this.

cheers

I pretty much tried the whole spectrum of settings. Haven't had a chance to dial in on good quality settings. i was focused on the flickering of the noise that had annoyed me so much. After comparing to older videos, the flickering aspect is non existent

I have found with a shutter speed at around 30 i get less flicker. That's with ISO 400. but i'm not sure the d-log is best for night shots. I'd like to narrow the variables down.
If i find some optimum settings ill pop them on here. All it would take would be for a few people to try the same settings and i'm sure we could eventually get some decent results. There is no reason settings for one wont work for all x5's providing the firmware is the same.
Ill start a new thread maybe. With firmware type/settings/footage to show results. People can add to it as they wish. It should also help show up any faulty sensors that will need a repair.
I'm thinking if we control the experiment we can work better together to get optimal results.

Hey all,

just to add to this discussion: I did a quick ISO test from 100 - 6400, on firmware 1.4.0.70.

Watch it here:

So far, there seems to be no flickering anymore, light was artificial, indoors at 50hz.

Best,
Andy

Reactions: Ryo777

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RomanChrz