Welcome Matrice Pilots!
Join our free DJI Matrice community today!

DJI Transcoding Tool

A very good question.

Some people will tell you that ProRes is a better codec, with a much higher bit rate, and thus converting your H.264-encoded MP4 to ProRes will improve its quality. It absolutely will not; it cannot add detail that was not included in the original MP4 file.

Some people will tell you that ProRes is an easier codec for editing software to handle, and insist that they must transcode to ProRes before they can edit the file. These people all seem to be Mac users, and all seem to be using Final Cut. I have no experience with either, so I can't say for sure. All I know is that Adobe Premiere Pro was designed to handle the H.264 codec natively, and it works like a champ.

The only thing left: correcting D-Log footage by adding the missing contrast and saturation. This can be done pretty easily in Premiere Pro via the Lumetri color panel, so I don't see the point in the transcoding tool. I did an analysis of the original transcoding tool, designed for the X3 camera, here:

Again, this video is analyzing a different tool than you asked about. But I think the general idea is the same.

Mp4 is not nice to edit with, its much slower and intensive to work with for editing.

That is not the case for Premiere Pro on Windows. I routinely edit 4K H.264/MP4 files with no performance problems at all.

That is not the case for Premiere Pro on Windows. I routinely edit 4K H.264/MP4 files with no performance problems at all.

I must admit I doubted what you said, so I did some quick tests inside AE and MEDIA ENCODER and initial results show you're right.
If this turns out to be true you just saved me a load of disk space and transcoding time!

Adobe designed its video products so that they could easily edit "delivery" codecs such as H.264. Apparently Final Cut has problems with these, but Premiere Pro does not.

Adobe designed its video products so that they could easily edit "delivery" codecs such as H.264. Apparently Final Cut has problems with these, but Premiere Pro does not.

Thanks, more than likely when i was starting out and taking advice blindly I was told this by an apple guy and just carried on the habit ever since.
Oh well, another reason to hate on mac guys :)

How are you finding the X5 in terms of grading/colour correction/sharpness etc.

Last edited:
Apparently Final Cut has problems with these, but Premiere Pro does not.
To clarify the 10-year old generation Final Cut Pro 7 that some still insist on using does indeed, but the "new" current one works a treat with it.

can you please share some detail on your pc ? video card, cpu, speed, ram etc. i am planing to build one for myself. researching still for the best optimal solution.
thx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is my current rig:
This is clearly a high-end build; I am a software engineer, and I work on this machine all day every day. Here is what I would recommend for a decent video-editing system, at a medium cost:
If this lower-priced system appeals to you, but you want to upgrade one part, I would recommend a more expensive video card.

But the most important part in these builds is the SSD. I will not build a system without one, for anyone, for any reason. They make such a huge difference that I can't bear to use a computer without one.

And while they are much less expensive than they used to be, so are spinning disks. So don't store your video files on the SSD; 4TB drives are $125 to $150 these days.

Reactions: Phatzo
It's all software related, and there's no simple way to explain why. Premiere likes H.264's and will link/import them just fine. Avid and Final Cut do not like H.264's so will chug through them and just generally perform poorly when you have that format on your timeline.

Here is my current rig:
This is clearly a high-end build; I am a software engineer, and I work on this machine all day every day. Here is what I would recommend for a decent video-editing system, at a medium cost:
If this lower-priced system appeals to you, but you want to upgrade one part, I would recommend a more expensive video card.

But the most important part in these builds is the SSD. I will not build a system without one, for anyone, for any reason. They make such a huge difference that I can't bear to use a computer without one.

And while they are much less expensive than they used to be, so are spinning disks. So don't store your video files on the SSD; 4TB drives are $125 to $150 these days.

thank you so much. now i have a point to start off from. will check and see what parts i can get of these in hungary.
thank you for the listing. really a great help.
cheers
Martin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctfulgham