Welcome Matrice Pilots!
Join our free DJI Matrice community today!

USA Ariel Photography Business

Reaction score
Hello and Thank you for your time! I need all the advice that I can get as I am new to this... I am 16 years old and trying to start an ariel photography business. I have an inspire one and several years of experience with drones including DJI. I just completed my FAA test a couple weeks ago and I have my "pilot certificate" to fly. I have also registered my drone with the FAA. But now I need insurance (as I am told it is required). So since I'm not 18 and I can't buy my own policy how do I go about getting insured? Who is the best insurance company to go with? Also what should I be looking out for legally? Any tips or recommendations would be extremely appreciated as I am trying to start my business by the end of the month. Again Thanks in advance!

So as far as that goes... if they purchase the insurance, will the insurance company still see me as the person insured? And if i go to do work for someone and need proof of insurance will i be able to show that "I" am insured?

So as far as that goes... if they purchase the insurance, will the insurance company still see me as the person insured? And if i go to do work for someone and need proof of insurance will i be able to show that "I" am insured?
Those are good questions for the insurance agent. IMHO, Insurance underwriters will not issue a minor a policy, as a 16 yoa, you are not legally allowed to get a business license, form an LLC...You really need some legal advice on this issue.

Any other tips?
As an aside - most countries will not allow a minor (under the age of 18) to legally enter into or be bound by a contract.
This will cause problems, since you will be issuing a binding contract to your clients and you will rely on that contract not only for terms of payment but for scope of services and limits of liability in the event of failure to deliver.

I am curious, what are your plans for the future, I'm guessing you are a junior in High School?
Yes, sir. I'm just trying to make some money with my drone right now. I know two agents that work for Remax that have urged me to get started so I can do work for them. So basically, through them, I have 5 agents at the moment ready to give me business.

As an aside - most countries will not allow a minor (under the age of 18) to legally enter into or be bound by a contract.
This will cause problems, since you will be issuing a binding contract to your clients and you will rely on that contract not only for terms of payment but for scope of services and limits of liability in the event of failure to deliver.
I read about that yesterday. I am looking into seeing if my dad can be the "owner" of the business to fix that issue hopefully.

Yes, sir. I'm just trying to make some money with my drone right now. I know two agents that work for Remax that have urged me to get started so I can do work for them. So basically, through them, I have 5 agents at the moment ready to give me business.
I was only asking because there are many long term career options for a young person interested in UAVs with a path to professional UAV pilot (big salaries) with a big company like Grumman, Lockheed, Boeing, General Atomics; but with a short side trip first through the military to get trained as a Reaper/Predator pilot and getting many hours in the logbook (and letting Uncle Sam pay for all of it). The Army currently accepts candidates with no college degree into their 15W MOS (military occupational specialty) Unmanned Aerial Vehicle Operator, after basic training you go to Ft. Huachuca (AZ) for UAV pilot training. Then you are subject to deployment anywhere in the world.The Air Force uses officers as UAV pilots; but allows enlisted (no college) to train as UAV sensor operators (MOS1U0X1) currently but recently announced the USAF will allow enlisted UAV pilots in the near future. I don't know the background on the Navy or Marines UAV programs. Cool video here.

Military service requires minimum age of 18 (17 with parents consent)

I recently read the USAF plans to acquire more UAVs than manned aircraft in the next 20 years (!).

If you are planning to go to college and a non UAV career, forget all of the above. Best of luck to you!

PS- your local recruiter will be a good source for information. WARNING- Do not accept any other MOS but UAV. Recruiters have quotas to fill and will try to steer you into whatever MOS is unfilled this month; old tactic just to get you to enlist. If they tell you your choice of MOS is not available, go next door to another service branch.

Last edited:
Reactions: SWINDY
It sounds really cool but idk if I could do that... That's a huge commitment. Traveling around the world sounds amazing but rarely getting to be around home doesn't lol

It sounds really cool but idk if I could do that... That's a huge commitment. Traveling around the world sounds amazing but rarely getting to be around home doesn't lol

I don't know you or your future plans for all I know you want to be an architect. I was just "spitballing". At 16, you have years to decide your career path.....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RomanChrz